Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Tesla be power limiting P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you mention the fan does not come on any more when this occurs, but it does come on at the supercharger - it is possible that different temp sensors can trigger the fan to turn on or speed up. And one triggers it during supercharging and a different one (that may be broken) used to trigger it during hard driving

Reactions: Nocturnal
On the other hand..I am not amazed that Tesla does not include a cannabis reader/performance restrictor in their cars. This would hinder Elon's testing of new programming updates.

I suppose it does facilitate his testing of biodefense (hotboxing clearance) mode in other models

My wife just told me that I am "done" and to "move away from the computer" before I am justifiably banned from future posting

Have you asked the service center why there are dots on the right side of the display indicating power is being limited?
One of the techs called me and said he did diagnostics on the car remotely and found no faults. He really didn't take anything I said very seriously believing his logs and equipment more than my eye witness. He pulled the logs at the exact time of that video documenting the problem and was not convinced that anything was wrong. He said that there are a multitude of factors the computer takes into account when restricting acceleration and that the conditions must have been different than before. I did not buy that but its hard to argue the point without further evidence.

Makes me wonder if your cooling system is working properly. You must have a crazy lead foot BTW with those numbers. How does your AC work?

Have you tried not accelerating to over 100 MPH on public roads to see if this problem is less apparent?
It shouldn't happen. I don't get that until 3 laps in at an actual track.

Last edited:
Since you say it's easily reproducible with one full acceleration, I would ask one of the techs to take a ride with you to see it. Then ask to do the same in one of their Performance 3.
They won't do it. They even canceled my SC appointment stating there is nothing they can do since their computer diagnostic states that there is no fault. They are being jerks about it and treating me like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Makes me wonder if your cooling system is working properly.
I don't think it is working properly because I don't hear the fan at all like I use to when I didn't have this problem. Before when the dots came the fan would be blaring.
How does your AC work?
Works fine.
It shouldn't happen. I don't get that until 3 laps in at an actual track.
Its more than how quickly you get them but how fast do they go away when you let up. For me the dots use to go away in seconds while driving when I let up with the fan blaring. Now the don't go away until I stop for about 2 minutes and no fan.