Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[RESOLVED] CPO Delivery Dilemma! Big scratches and Tesla says they won't repair.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be tempted to go see the car and take a buffing cloth and bottle of scratch remover (light polish) with me and see if I could buff a section out by hand. You'd be able to tell pretty quick if it those would polish out. Weird as it looks like they didn't even try...

Carfax ekes don't always show minor damage. The last cpo I bought from tesla had a huge dent that they fixed and didn't disclose to me. The only reason I found out about it was when I got a Carnax offer, their estimator found the repaired damage and their offer was so low.

I am saddened to hear about this. My CPO when delivered had some scratches that were less in volume that this (much more localized to three spots on different panels). They repaired it as a due-bill item (i.e., had me bring the car back for paintwork to get it fixed). Then a month later the clear coat come off the front quarter panel and a dot of bondo was visible. I escalated and complained, but Tesla did NOT cover that. They stated that their records (which they still refuse to share with me) of the car by the previous owner does not indicate any painting/repair work. As such, if it wasn't done through Tesla with a Tesla-approved body shop, they would NOT cover the rework on my car, even though it was a CPO.

To this day, it is still the biggest "bad taste" in mouth about my entire ownership experience.

My thread about my experience back then is here: My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
I am saddened to hear about this. My CPO when delivered had some scratches that were less in volume that this (much more localized to three spots on different panels). They repaired it as a due-bill item (i.e., had me bring the car back for paintwork to get it fixed). Then a month later the clear coat come off the front quarter panel and a dot of bondo was visible. I escalated and complained, but Tesla did NOT cover that. They stated that their records (which they still refuse to share with me) of the car by the previous owner does not indicate any painting/repair work. As such, if it wasn't done through Tesla with a Tesla-approved body shop, they would NOT cover the rework on my car, even though it was a CPO.

To this day, it is still the biggest "bad taste" in mouth about my entire ownership experience.

My thread about my experience back then is here: My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

Thanks for sharing this. It's disturbing, and has either put me off considering CPOs entirely, or is going to add significant extra diligence, complexity and cost to the pre-purchase/commitment appraisal process that now seems to be necessary.

The fact that nothing was indicated in the record does not absolve Tesla from performing the exact kind of due diligence that is intended to prevent snafus like this.

*Very* disappointing. The response you got was no better than what I'd expect from a stealership. And naturally, cue the apologists.

Reactions: KZKZ
Too much focus on cosmetic stuff that are totally unconnected to the quality of driving and comfort or usage of this product.

When I got my CPO there were a few minor scratches, which I failed to notice but my advisor pointed them out and said they will fix it, but it will take a few days to take care of those. I told them, don't even bother. I am going to end up with far more scruffs and scratches in a year, that this would be just noise. Instead I bargained for brand new tires in lieu of not bothering to fix those cosmetic stuff. It was a win-win for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jstack6 and MP3Mike

Let me add my thanks too for sharing.

You would think "Certified Pre-Owned" would stand for more. I don't think this level of "pre-owned" would pass at a BMW or Mercedes CPO. They would probably auction it off since its more "well-used" than it is pre-owned.

Too much focus on cosmetic stuff that are totally unconnected to the quality of driving and comfort or usage of this product.

When I got my CPO there were a few minor scratches, which I failed to notice but my advisor pointed them out and said they will fix it, but it will take a few days to take care of those. I told them, don't even bother. I am going to end up with far more scruffs and scratches in a year, that this would be just noise. Instead I bargained for brand new tires in lieu of not bothering to fix those cosmetic stuff. It was a win-win for both.
Fair for you, and I expected to see some knicks and dings on my CPO, perhaps some rock chips on the front even. The thing is, what's in those photo's is straight up legit damage to the area around the spoiler. It was serious enough in my opinion that they should have mentioned it to me early on, not 5 hours before my delivery.

/edit Sure it's a CPO, but it's a $60,000 CPO. I expect a little better from them compared to buying a 3 year old Civic.

Fair for you, and I expected to see some knicks and dings on my CPO, perhaps some rock chips on the front even. The thing is, what's in those photo's is straight up legit damage to the area around the spoiler. It was serious enough in my opinion that they should have mentioned it to me early on, not 5 hours before my delivery.

/edit Sure it's a CPO, but it's a $60,000 CPO. I expect a little better from them compared to buying a 3 year old Civic.

Agree 100% on this. How many miles are on this model by the way (not that mileage had anything to do with the scratches). I assume it is a 2013 P85+ from your signature.

Reactions: Fiver

I think you're in the right here. Mine did not have anything like this, and I would have been pretty upset if it did, especially given the time frame in which it was disclosed.

One of the things I have come to realize after going through the process and reading about other people is that while it usually goes smoothly, and when it doesn't Tesla usually makes things right, Tesla has a long way to go in making the CPO process uniform for everyone. There is just way too much variability from person to person, especially given their philosophy for selling new cars.

just my 2 cents, but $60K sounds like too much since there's no tax credit and since it seems to be well used. Even if they were to repair it there's the issue if they would do a very good job of matching the paint to the factory painted surfaces etc. Again, just my input from the sidelines.

$60K buys a lot of car, including brand new cars that have a new car smell and new car warranty and new car history.

$60K buys a lot of car, including brand new cars that have a new car smell and new car warranty and new car history.

$60k buys a base model 60, not even 60D. For 60K (a little more after taxes) I got a fully loaded (everything but RFS) P85+ that had a monroney sticker of over $121K new.
If everything works out in the end, I believe regardless of miles I got one hell of a deal on this used Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
***UPDATE***
  1. First the local CPO DS guy said they would try and take care of it after I brought up the seriousness of those scratches.
  2. Around noon my regional CPO advisor also said she would shoot it up the chain.
  3. Then just a few minutes ago (6pm local time) Dustin Krause, who is in charge of the whole CPO program (worldwide) called me up and promised to make good on the fixing the car.
He (Dustin) was surprised that it had made it this far through the CPO chain with that "damage" (my words, not his, he used a more polite term) and it hadn't been flagged for at least a touch up.

As my local DS mentioned first thing this morning, the SLC store doesn't do a ton of CPO sales, so they are all kind of new to the process. I asked Dustin if perhaps I should go down to the store tomorrow to look at the car and see if there was anything else I should be worried about (I still have not seen this car in person) and he promised that after all this that they would go through the car again with a fine tooth comb, to bring it up to the standards we all expect from a CPO purchased from Tesla. I should have the car sometime in the next 1-3 weeks. Normally this would bother me, but as I mentioned several times before, I'm in no rush to get it. I'd rather wait and get a flawless car. Plus this gives me more time to get everything organized in my garage/shed.

So while I don't have a car still, I already feel like Tesla is totally living up to the world class customer service they are famous for.
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and tips today. Now back to cleaning out my garage.

(It would be nice if a mod added a **update, Tesla will repair** to the thread title so the Seeking Alpha story bots won't take my post as more proof Tesla is going to go out of business.)

Last edited: