Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Experience/Process December 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the website and plugged in the VIN for my future car and it showed one recall that needed to be done. I then called the tesla center where I will eventually pick up the car. I spoke with a nice and informative person in the service center. He explained that the cars are stored offsite and must be transported to the service facility 6 at a time. Then they complete any outstanding service bulletins (recalls), inspect the car and then I will hear about a delivery date. Since my car is still an offsite storage facility, I will be pleasantly surprised if I get it before the second week of January. I only hope the battery doesn't experience issues since it is being stored somewhere they don't discuss. So I placed my order 12/21/18, paid the deposit and uploaded all the necessary paper work the same day. Then there was a weekend. Then a holiday. Now there is another weekend and holiday approaching so maybe I will be able to pick up the car sometime between 1/10-1/15?!?!

I went to the website and plugged in the VIN for my future car and it showed one recall that needed to be done. I then called the tesla center where I will eventually pick up the car. I spoke with a nice and informative person in the service center. He explained that the cars are stored offsite and must be transported to the service facility 6 at a time. Then they complete any outstanding service bulletins (recalls), inspect the car and then I will hear about a delivery date. Since my car is still an offsite storage facility, I will be pleasantly surprised if I get it before the second week of January. I only hope the battery doesn't experience issues since it is being stored somewhere they don't discuss. So I placed my order 12/21/18, paid the deposit and uploaded all the necessary paper work the same day. Then there was a weekend. Then a holiday. Now there is another weekend and holiday approaching so maybe I will be able to pick up the car sometime between 1/10-1/15?!?!
I put my order in on Dec. 12 and it still isn't ready if that gives you any kind of timeline. I hope you don't have the same problems as I have, but since many have delivery problems, you should expect the same and be proactive

Interesting. My Model S still has the steering assembly recall that needs to be accomplished. I was a bit surprised they would sell a "CPO" with recalls that need to be completed, especially considering it's just two bolts apparently. I reached out to the service center last week and was able to get mobile schedule serviced for next week.

Interesting. My Model S still has the steering assembly recall that needs to be accomplished. I was a bit surprised they would sell a "CPO" with recalls that need to be completed, especially considering it's just two bolts apparently. I reached out to the service center last week and was able to get mobile schedule serviced for next week.

You have to understand that their certification process is limited to 70 items.

The two bolts would make that 72 :p

Glad your process is going fairly smooth...
You're right about the pics you get from them...I was lucky enough to have a Manheim condition report for mine which came in at a 4.3
As far as inspection....do the basics...open and close all doors (check that all handles auto present when approaching) ...trunk and frunk... up down all windows and sunroof...wipers...lights... they will walk you through the basics on the screen....
Congrats...

so not all CPO cars have Manheim condition report ?

I wonder when we will lose some of the 2015 to 2 year warranty even though they have less than 50k miles just like the 2014.....

that's why I'm buying the 2015 70 now just to be safe. Here're the photos and specs. Any comments are welcome. I'm debating between flying to CA (really cheap tix) and driving it back to AZ or p/u for 2K

2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E16FF115015 | False, Fa | Tesla

https://findmyev.com/view.php?vin=5YJSA1E16FF115015&lang=en&measuring=miles

that's why I'm buying the 2015 70 now just to be safe. Here're the photos and specs. Any comments are welcome. I'm debating between flying to CA (really cheap tix) and driving it back to AZ or p/u for 2K

https://findmyev.com/view.php?vin=5YJSA1E16FF115015&lang=en&measuring=miles

If I were spending around 40K, I would not look for a 70. Instead I would look for an 85D that you can buy now for the low 40s if you look around. You get AWD, better performance, and most importantly greater range.

If I were spending around 40K, I would not look for a 70. Instead I would look for an 85D that you can buy now for the low 40s if you look around. You get AWD, better performance, and most importantly greater range.

Good point. I wanted rear facing seats, ap1 and 4 yr warranty. This was the lowest CPO priced with rear facing seats. Question is whether 30 miles of range is worth $5K ?

Also Can 2015 S 70 be increased to 75? 234 miles would be plenty for me regardless, depending on degradation. Tesla Model S 70 Is Really a Model S 75 You Can Upgrade After Purchase

Last edited:
These weren't the regular dropbox photos (which were terrible below) They send me homenetinc link which is a
Car Dealership Inventory Management company?

Dropbox - 5YJSA1E16FF115015 - Simplify your life
It all depends where and how the car is being turned in for resale... mine happened to be processed through a Manheim facility...obviously, there are other auto processing facilities....these places process hundreds if not thousands of cars a day, all makes and models....I prefer it that way because they have their own unbiased, unvested vehicle checkpoint process which adds a layer of eyes to the details of the car being turned in.

i prefer Manheim detailed reports cars. I'll ask my advisor to look for those only then esp. if the car is being shipped vs local.
Also, when I was chatting it up with my rep one day, I asked him about the 1-5 scale....he said he got himself one that was 3.8 but the avg cpo has a manheim condition rating of 3.2-3.6
So, seeing what they sent me, I didn't think twice.
Like I said, it's just an added layer of discrepancy that benefits the buyer.

Condition Report - INSIGHT

For anyone who has already picked up their used tesla......

Once your pickup was scheduled and if you used an external bank/credit union, did tesla handle getting payment from the bank or did you have to send your bank the purchase agreement to get the payment?

I know new cars can't be sold with recalls. Pacifica had many recalls that caused them to sit on lots. Nice that they can do it mobile. Maybe they can give you some upgrade while they're at it?

Once your pickup was scheduled and if you used an external bank/credit union, did tesla handle getting payment from the bank or did you have to send your bank the purchase agreement to get the payment?
I sent my purchase order to my bank and they handled the payment to Tesla. All I had to do when I showed up at the Tesla store was sign a few documents and I was out the door

I'd rather check out the car before full payment at delivery center (by check or ACH) or do they want full payment before?