Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha CPUC just approved another electricity rate increase… second increase for 2022.

Fair. MF-ing Share.

Quote:

“This is completely outrageous,” said Mark Toney, executive director for The Utility Reform Network, or TURN, a consumer group. “When you add this to the increase at the beginning of the year, this amounts to a 20% increase so far in 2022.”

hope y’all got solar and NEM haha.
good thing those low income folks are paying for us

Haha CPUC just approved another electricity rate increase… second increase for 2022.

Fair. MF-ing Share.

Quote:

“This is completely outrageous,” said Mark Toney, executive director for The Utility Reform Network, or TURN, a consumer group. “When you add this to the increase at the beginning of the year, this amounts to a 20% increase so far in 2022.”

Electricity cost increase, where? I am paying zero so they cannot get me :)

Reactions: holeydonut
money, money, money. Actually surprised it wasn't more

money, money, money. Actually surprised it wasn't more

These quotes from the article are ridiculous:

The coalition, Fairbanks explained, is fighting to ensure that NEM subsidies "reflect the value rooftop solar provides and that those subsidies don't fall disproportionally on Californians least able to pay." While costs for rooftop solar have dropped 70 percent since the program was launched 25 years ago, subsidies have continued to increase, she added.
FALSE - Subsidies have NOT continued to increase - they have decreased in 4 different ways:
  1. California kicked off rooftop solar with a well designed and effective solar rebate program. This program not only started out with high subsidies, but gradually ramped down over time and gave the solar industry and consumers alike the visibility to plan around these reductions in subsidies.
  2. NEM 1.0 has been replaced with NEM 2.0 - NEM 2.0 introduced NBCs (non-bypassable charges) which mean you can't use the grid as a battery for free any longer - you pay for that privilege. In addition, there is a one-time interconnection fee as well.
  3. NEM 2.0 also brought on mandatory TOU tariffs and peak rates in California have been shifted to the evening - 4 -9 PM for most utilities. For example, for on the SDG&E EV-TOU5 rate plan, on weekends and holidays in the "summer" - Jun - Oct - I export energy at $0.10 / kWh from morning to 2 PM - but import energy at $0.65 / kWh from 4-9 pm. Yeah - I need up to 6.5x more solar now to make up for anything I pull from the grid during peak rates. Note - the "standard" DR-SES off-peak rates aren't that low - they are $0.31 / kWh super-off-peak - but still - that's a 2x+ rate differential.
  4. The federal tax credit has started ramping down - it started at 30% through 2019, dropped to 26% in 2020, will drop to 22% in 2023 and end completely in 2024.
Fairbanks also described Powers's characterization of Affordable Clean Energy for All as an "AstroTurf" group as "ridiculous." She countered that the Solar Rights Alliance - a nonprofit association of California solar users that supports the Save California Solar campaign - fails to disclose "the funding they receive from the financially vested solar industry" on their website.
As pointed out in the article - there's a huge difference - everyone expects solar companies to spend money to make it easier for them to sell more solar systems. But people do not expect utility companies - especially companies heavily regulated by government agencies like the CPUC. And this is the problem with IOUs (investor owned utilities) - it's no surprise that all the non-profit utilities have lower rates than the IOUs.

Reactions: sunwarriors
Electricity cost increase, where? I am paying zero so they cannot get me :)

What sucks about this increase is it's pushing me into negative NEM territory. Since the energy I banked in the summer was at the old rates and the energy I'm using now through about early April will be at a higher rate.

Since PG&E wouldn't let me up-size my array the way you did, even though my kWh generated/consumed is mostly a wash, I'm now at a slight NEM-balance deficit since my usage costs almost 20% more per kWh compared to last year's generation.

PG&E will always find a way to get theirs; they'll just be collecting from you in 2036 after your NEM 2.0 expires and your monthly fixed costs are over $1,000 .

Reactions: h2ofun
just got this email:

Thank you for contacting Governor Newsom regarding the California Public Utilities Commission's Net Energy Metering proposal (R.20-08-020). He appreciates hearing from Californians on matters that are important to you.

The Governor is closely monitoring this issue and is committed to California's clean energy and climate goals. Ultimately, the California Public Utilities Commission, which is an independent constitutionally established commission, will make a final decision on this matter after reviewing public comment. In the meantime, Governor Newsom continues to move forward with the state's clean energy goals, which include providing Californians access to a diverse range of renewable energy sources.

Feedback like yours helps ensure that we are addressing the most pressing concerns of Californians. With your help and partnership, we can build a California for All.

Sincerely,

Constituent Affairs
Office of Governor Gavin Newsom

Reactions: h2ofun
saw this posted on another site

Attachments

• PGE funny bill.jpeg
    PGE funny bill.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 82
good thing those low income folks are paying for us

Here's the thing, I will probably dive down this rabbit hole over the weekend, but two things are clear to me at the start:

1. Solar customers have nothing to do with a 20% raise on top of the rates. Its not mathematically possible. I mean, it is mathematically possible that some day with one million rooftop solar customers and one non-solar customer, the one non-solar customer's bill is going to be what, 5 billion dollars? But not now.

Why? I mean, these IOUs have like 1,000,000 ratepayers. They sell each of them 100s of kwh per month. So its over a billion "units" of what they sell. I mean, 20, 40 60 cents per units is like billions of dollars a month.

2. Because one can see, say LADWPs audited financials v. PG&Es, there must be some actual answer for this incredible charging other than "the IOUs are assholes." I mean, they may be assholes, but there has to be an actual reason for these rates. It can't just be "inefficiency." Inefficiency would mean like 5 cents more per kwh, not what they charge.

Fair. MF-ing Share.

Quote:

Yet TURN is for that NEM3. I quit supporting them, for now.

Here's the thing, I will probably dive down this rabbit hole over the weekend, but two things are clear to me at the start:

1. Solar customers have nothing to do with a 20% raise on top of the rates. Its not mathematically possible. I mean, it is mathematically possible that some day with one million rooftop solar customers and one non-solar customer, the one non-solar customer's bill is going to be what, 5 billion dollars? But not now.

Why? I mean, these IOUs have like 1,000,000 ratepayers. They sell each of them 100s of kwh per month. So its over a billion "units" of what they sell. I mean, 20, 40 60 cents per units is like billions of dollars a month.

2. Because one can see, say LADWPs audited financials v. PG&Es, there must be some actual answer for this incredible charging other than "the IOUs are assholes." I mean, they may be assholes, but there has to be an actual reason for these rates. It can't just be "inefficiency." Inefficiency would mean like 5 cents more per kwh, not what they charge.

Inefficiency is how the IOUs make money. The higher their costs, the higher their revenue. They have absolutely zero incentive to be efficient.

People are still sporadically asking how to call in or letting me know that the v-mail for the Gov's office is full. So we are doing something right!!!!

I did want to give you all an update on NEM 3.0 and what the members of the Save CA Solar (including Solar Rights Alliance) have been up to this week.

CPUC gets more of an earful this week

Net metering was not on yesterday's CPUC agenda, but 63 amazing community leaders still showed up to give the CPUC an earful about what they need to do. Meanwhile IBEW47 showed up and made the most of 14 comments in favor of the proposal. There was also one social justice and one or two business groups in favor.
Notable statements include:
  • Esperanza Vielma, Environmental Justice Coalition for Water: "I am the daughter of a Laborers' International Union member. I’m sure he would’ve been in support of rooftop solar and getting green jobs for our youth going forward. We want to save rooftop solar for environmental justice communities. We oppose NEM 3.0."
  • Damon Connolly, Marin County Supervisor: “We need to ensure solar becomes more affordable for low- and middle-income families, not less.”
  • Chance Cutrano, Vice Mayor of Fairfax: "It’s critical that low- and middle-income families are not discouraged from enrolling in NEM programs."
  • Solar worker Helen Couter Rodriguez: "I work as a manager in a small solar and battery energy firm…I’ve been doing this work since 2014, and this is my second career as a mom returning to the workforce. I’m a Latina and am proud to do the work that I do. This is the fastest-growing industry– employer of women in California and the United States. Please save NEM 2.0 and take out the aggressive charges that you have in the NEM 3.0 proposal."

When an article begins with: "In 1696, a British government desperate for revenue imposed a tax on windows…"

…you know something unique is happening. Give this 2 minute KQED op/ed a listen and then amplify it

Full page ad in SF Chronicle from environmental groups calls on Gov. Newsom to lead

Here's a high resolution copy of the ad.

Two articles that take on the utilities' cost shift argument in similar and powerful ways.
  1. The first is by People Power Solar Cooperative leader Crystal Huang, and also includes links to additional resources you and others can use to combat the misinformation.
  2. The second is by Coalition for Environmental Equity and Economics through their letter to NRDC asking them to stop their attack on rooftop solar.
Both pieces point out that the "cost shift" is premised on planning methods that put the utilities' monopoly business model at the center and bend the public's needs around it. The way it should work, they argue, is to put people's needs at the center, and bend the utilities' business model around the needs of the people.

These can be good pieces to share if people have questions about the ads being run by the utilities.

Federal court rules that Arizona utility may run afoul of anti-trust laws by discriminating against solar users

Last week, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals held that utility attacks on solar can be liable under antitrust law. This Arizona case is a powerful tool in the fight to stop the utility monopoly from squashing people from making their own energy from the sun.
While the legal issues around the Arizona case are different than what we're facing in California, the court case should nonetheless send a strong warning to Governor Newsom and the CPUC to not enact an anti-competitive net metering decision that could open the door to antitrust liability. More reading. Shout to Center for Biological Diversity for spearheading this lawsuit.

Rooftop solar and batteries could have saved San Diego ratepayers $3 billion and prevented blackouts

Protect Our Communities Foundation's Bill Powers was on CBS 8 local news explaining how SDG&E's $3 billion powerline project is a boondoggle that is driving up energy bills while doing little to prevent blackouts.
Bill points out that the better solution would have been to outfit East County residents with solar and batteries, which would have been cheaper and safer. https://bit.ly/3oLwFeT

New video ad: "There's a clean energy revolution going on in California. And it's on our rooftops." Watch and amplify it: https://bit.ly/3Buinol

We need to keep the pressure on the Gov. IF you have time to make a call today or next week here are the details
The Gov still hasn't taken a stand and we need to keep pushing. His # is 916-445-2841. Sample script: "My name is __ and I live in __. Why has Gov. Newsom not taken a stand against the Solar Tax yet? We should make rooftop solar more affordable, not less."

Check out www.solarrights.org for other actions you can take. Just scroll halfway down the homepage. Thank you!

Thank you all! Have a great weekend!
--
Lee Miller
Solar Rights Alliance

Be careful. They will find a way to get to you. :D

Yeah, this is why I'm hoping tech/solutions pop up to make it feasible to be completely removed from the grid and legally, cities allow it for occupancy laws.

I'm hoping this is a mix of wind turbines that can connect to solar, large propane tanks you see in Tahoe cabins as well as generators (dirty unfortunately) that can charge batteries. Not sure what else is out there.

It'd be good/interesting if some filthy "rich" area just say enough is enough, we're going completely off grid and getting a massive solar array and some Tesla Powerbanks for our local areas and the IOU can shove it. Then a cascade effect starts and all the IOUs will stop being that greedy or face bankruptcy as more people disconnect. In a way, this is already what's happening since high energy users are the first ones to get solar due to a high ROI.

Reactions: charlesj and h2ofun
Inefficiency is how the IOUs make money. The higher their costs, the higher their revenue. They have absolutely zero incentive to be efficient.

So true. From what I've seen, they LOVE those capital projects since those are all passed on to rate payers.

Like those bridge to nowhere projects, it keeps everyone at the IOUs employed and they can charge whatever they want stating, well, it's for all these things we're building out.

I'm curious what kind of profit they make profit on their tree trimming operations. PG&E has had contracting companies in my area for months now clearing trees and it is a big operation. And they aren't very efficient. My neighbors have told me they talked to some of the operators and were told that that they are limited to the number of trees they can take down in day (I don't know if it is true).
I live at the end of my road and have watched trucks come up and park with the workers on their cell phones and shooting the breeze.
But I'm still glad they are doing it.