Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question on the grandfather clause on changes to net metering, everywhere I read that from your original pto on solar you are grandfathered in for 20 years. Now I read here that it is 15, is that if the CPUC proposal goes thru or did it change recently.
im not following this thread as closely as i probably should but i believe that was part of the nem 3 proposal to drop customer's current 20 year nem "lock in" to 15 years .. portion of proposal that seems to many most egregious

No it is original. They send me a notification of it expiring soon.
Your current NEM agreement should be in force for 20 from the date your your system was installed, if you haven't modified your system since then. The CPUC proposal to reduce that period to 15 years hasn't passed and it may not pass. If you are sure of your dates, contact PG&E and ask them why they plan to kick you off 5 years early.

Your current NEM agreement should be in force for 20 from the date your your system was installed, if you haven't modified your system since then. The CPUC proposal to reduce that period to 15 years hasn't passed and it may not pass. If you are sure of your dates, contact PG&E and ask them why they plan to kick you off 5 years early.

PG&E sucks, nobody will ever hear anything useful from those folks.

I remember when PG&E sent me a nasty-gram in 2019 about how I was a terrible energy offender after we just had our kid. We had the AC set to 74F because if it got hotter, it'd be wah wah wah all the effing day long. I was on the phone with PG&E to ask about their absolutely idiotic recommendations such as setting my AC thermostat to 80F... and the woman actually told me maybe I should move into a smaller house that would use less electricity.

Then I got solar + ESS to get those jerks to back the hell off and now they accuse me of stealing from poor people. PG&E sucks.

I don't think there would be a case for the base fee (presuming you mean the minimum delivery charge on PG&E), given that one applies to all rate payers that have a low bill. Also if CPUC decides to change the fixed fee for solar into a fee that applies to everyone, that also wouldn't apply.

The case in Arizona was won specifically because the higher rates targeted only solar customers and was a clear effort to prevent competition against the utility.
Base fee? Do you mean the minimum fault charge? If so that is uniformly applied to all referral l residential customers.
Yes, that is the fee that varies a few cents each month. Didn't realize that applies to everyone not just solar, thanks. I checked some old bills that had delivery charge or just minimum fee but way less, in 2013, around $4.

I suppose there may be a case if they have a charge based on solar system size as that would not apply to everyone?
Yes, they could increase that minimum fee, but would that apply only if the usage is less than the minimum fee?

Yes, that is the fee that varies a few cents each month. Didn't realize that applies to everyone not just solar, thanks. I checked some old bills that had delivery charge or just minimum fee but way less, in 2013, around $4.

I suppose there may be a case if they have a charge based on solar system size as that would not apply to everyone?
Yes, they could increase that minimum fee, but would that apply only if the usage is less than the minimum fee?
The minimum daily fee is included with every residential tariff and I just took a look at E-1, E-6, E-TOU-B, E-TOU-C, E-TOU-D, EV and EV2 and they were all $0.33260/day. If your monthly bill is more than amount it doesn't matter, if it is less because you export more than you use or if house burned down and there isn't any need for electricity then that is what you pay. I would prefer a fixed fee with lower usage rates, but otherwise I think that it is decent compromise.

If this number needs to be $1.50/day or $45/month then it should apply to everyone and not be based on if you have solar or not.

I replaced my gas water heater with an electric hybrid and for the first time noticed a new charge for "adjustment for a minimum daily transportation charge of $0.13151/day" it added $0.22 to my gas charges :) for only using 3 therms over 29 days.

Reactions: charlesj
The minimum daily fee is included with every residential tariff and I just took a look at E-1, E-6, E-TOU-B, E-TOU-C, E-TOU-D, EV and EV2 and they were all $0.33260/day. If your monthly bill is more than amount it doesn't matter, if it is less because you export more than you use or if house burned down and there isn't any need for electricity then that is what you pay. I would prefer a fixed fee with lower usage rates, but otherwise I think that it is decent compromise.

If this number needs to be $1.50/day or $45/month then it should apply to everyone and not be based on if you have solar or not.

I replaced my gas water heater with an electric hybrid and for the first time noticed a new charge for "adjustment for a minimum daily transportation charge of $0.13151/day" it added $0.22 to my gas charges :) for only using 3 therms over 29 days.
They get you coming and going. :eek:

Something-something fixed costs aren't being paid to prevent you from dying in a gas explosion.

PG&E sucks, nobody will ever hear anything useful from those folks.

I remember when PG&E sent me a nasty-gram in 2019 about how I was a terrible energy offender after we just had our kid. We had the AC set to 74F because if it got hotter, it'd be wah wah wah all the effing day long. I was on the phone with PG&E to ask about their absolutely idiotic recommendations such as setting my AC thermostat to 80F... and the woman actually told me maybe I should move into a smaller house that would use less electricity.

Then I got solar + ESS to get those jerks to back the hell off and now they accuse me of stealing from poor people. PG&E sucks.
Huh? Why didn't you just tell them to go pound sand. The rate plan you're on has a rate schedule and the rates are fixed by time of day. PG&E's rates to get the electricity are variable according to whatever is happening on the spot market but that's NOT your problem. I've deliberately used the AC and dryer on weekends between 5 and 8 pm (I'm on the TOU plan that has off-peak rates all weekend long) because my rates are fixed while theirs are variable and since I know they're ripping me off, I want to screw them over whenever I can. I can't decide if I hate PG&E or Comcast more but they're both sleazy bottom of the barrel companies.

Huh? Why didn't you just tell them to go pound sand. The rate plan you're on has a rate schedule and the rates are fixed by time of day. PG&E's rates to get the electricity are variable according to whatever is happening on the spot market but that's NOT your problem. I've deliberately used the AC and dryer on weekends between 5 and 8 pm (I'm on the TOU plan that has off-peak rates all weekend long) because my rates are fixed while theirs are variable and since I know they're ripping me off, I want to screw them over whenever I can. I can't decide if I hate PG&E or Comcast more but they're both sleazy bottom of the barrel companies.

Lol don't get me started on why PG&E sucks. PG&E may employ some good people, but the organization as a whole blows. I dunno why anyone out there would defend those scumbags.

Back when I got the PG&E letters, I was on a tiered E-1 rate plan. We cooked meals, ran the AC, and did whatever we felt was "normal" for the first few months after we moved into the house and had a wah wah wah newborn.

To the point about "screwing" PG&E... they were going to get theirs no matter what. They put our house into the "!" tier which meant energy was like approaching $1.00 per kWh. I personally do not understand why, but PG&E started sending us paper mailers informing us about how terrible we were as an energy user compared to other homes in East Bay. I wish I saved some of those letters; back then I didn't understand what was happening but just threw them in the trach. The mailers were so idiotic. They'd contain stuff like:

1) Don't run your ACs
2) Don't cook hot meals
3) Go jump in a community pool to cool off
4) Air Dry your clothes
5) Turn your TV brightness down
6) Don't watch TV with the lights on
7) so on and so forth STUPID AZZ IDEAS.

I wasn't about to do any of those things. Felons and murderers aren't going to convince me to go jump in a community pool.

But then one day they started phone spamming me to brow beat me into using less electricity. Then they "offered" (threatened?) to put on some devices on my ACs so PG&E could remotely shut off the condensers. I was like - WTF, this is worse than being in collections.

One PG&E employee went so far as to say that the average temperate over a 24 hour cycle ranges from 60 F to 100F where I live in the Summer. So she said that if I just opened my windows and let the house get super cold at night, then the house would warm up in the day. The average temperate would be 80F and I'd use zero electricity to heat or cool. I am not making this stuff up. Imagine your power company telling you this sh!t.

So, at my first opportunity I overhauled my HVAC units and planned for solar. Then, after I lower my household demand, I get people telling me I'm robbing from poor people. The IOUs and their advocates need to go eff off. The whole system is busted. They make it some class warfare BS when the truth is PG&E sucks.

Last edited:
Lol don't get me started on why PG&E sucks. PG&E may employ some good people, but the organization as a whole blows. I dunno why anyone out there would defend those scumbags.

Back when I got the PG&E letters, I was on a tiered E-1 rate plan. We cooked meals, ran the AC, and did whatever we felt was "normal" for the first few months after we moved into the house and had a wah wah wah newborn.

To the point about "screwing" PG&E... they were going to get theirs no matter what. They put our house into the "!" tier which meant energy was like approaching $1.00 per kWh. I personally do not understand why, but PG&E started sending us paper mailers informing us about how terrible we were as an energy user compared to other homes in East Bay. I wish I saved some of those letters; back then I didn't understand what was happening but just threw them in the trach. The mailers were so idiotic. They'd contain stuff like:

1) Don't run your ACs
2) Don't cook hot meals
3) Go jump in a community pool to cool off
4) Air Dry your clothes
5) Turn your TV brightness down
6) Don't watch TV with the lights on
7) so on and so forth STUPID AZZ IDEAS.

I wasn't about to do any of those things. Felons and murderers aren't going to convince me to go jump in a community pool.

But then one day they started phone spamming me to brow beat me into using less electricity. Then they "offered" (threatened?) to put on some devices on my ACs so PG&E could remotely shut off the condensers. I was like - WTF, this is worse than being in collections.

One PG&E employee went so far as to say that the average temperate over a 24 hour cycle ranges from 60 F to 100F where I live in the Summer. So she said that if I just opened my windows and let the house get super cold at night, then the house would warm up in the day. The average temperate would be 80F and I'd use zero electricity to heat or cool. I am not making this stuff up. Imagine your power company telling you this sh!t.
LOL. See, I'd just tell them to go pound sand. I won't ever respond to a scummy, sleazy company that asks me to do anything, without giving me any incentive to do it, which is what they always do when they anticipate a shortage. By the way, what I often do if they are anticipating a shortage and warning of possible blackouts is I crank up my AC so that if the power goes out, I have at least an hour or two before I have to evacuate the house (my portable generator isn't 240V split phase and so it can't power the AC). Now what I might respond to are financial incentives. If they'd like to pay me a certain amount for using under a certain number of kilowatthours of energy between 5 and 8 pm on a specific day, then I'll consider reducing my usage. But if they aren't offering me an actual incentive to do it, screw them.

Reactions: EVDRVN
Do we really need an incentive though? I'd be happy with no penalty.

If we were getting automated signals during the night that e.g.
Base load generation is too low, please stop charging EV for a couple of hours.
or
Base load generation is higher than needed, OK to charge EV now.

I'd be happy to have my systems help out the grid, as it saves everyone from having to pay for upgrades that are only needed for very short periods of time.
These are probably things that won't roll out until NEM4 though.

LOL. See, I'd just tell them to go pound sand. I won't ever respond to a scummy, sleazy company that asks me to do anything, without giving me any incentive to do it, which is what they always do when they anticipate a shortage. By the way, what I often do if they are anticipating a shortage and warning of possible blackouts is I crank up my AC so that if the power goes out, I have at least an hour or two before I have to evacuate the house (my portable generator isn't 240V split phase and so it can't power the AC). Now what I might respond to are financial incentives. If they'd like to pay me a certain amount for using under a certain number of kilowatthours of energy between 5 and 8 pm on a specific day, then I'll consider reducing my usage. But if they aren't offering me an actual incentive to do it, screw them.

You should check out Ohm-connect. I won't link it here since people are always trying to get referrals and stuff from that service. But it was an incentive to reduce energy usage during peak. Unfortunately I tried to sign up and they said I wasn't eligible since I'm on NEM2-PS/MT. Imagine all the credits I'd get since my consumption has dropped to 0 during peak time heh.

I just think it's absolutely bonkers that PG&E aggressively tells people to reduce grid-use during peak. So people who hate PG&E's BS buy solar and ESS systems to use PG&E less. Then, PG&E tells homeowners they're stealing from the poor and want their fair share in the form of a solar tax. PG&E sucks.

Reactions: STS-134
The funniest part of that article is the last sentence.

99% sure that should be wildfire mitigation.

The second funniest part is where the guy saying SDG&E in small claims court and has 5 years of bills in a spreadsheet says

I can understand his frustration, but he really should have had someone at least walk him through his billing history so he at least had some facts to present first before it gets dismissed

This article adds more info about this guys BS claim for damages due to his high bill. This article places some blame on solar policies driving up his bill.

It’s unfortunate the utilities have terminated the programs to help a homeowner audit energy usage.

Today's NPR "On Point" was about this issue. Both experts seemed to agree that the way utilities charge has to be restructured.

I was disappointed that despite having an hour to yak about this, and on public radio no less, no one pointed out that a system that pays for "the grid" based on a per unit cost for "energy" as to which only 20%$ is for the actual "energy" simply cannot withstand any large level decrease in usage.

And since rooftop solar is one of the most effective ways to decrease usage, well, its in the cross-hairs.

There was a lot of hand wringing about what to do. One guy said just pay for "the grid" some other way then through energy pricing, but it was not really explained that well.