Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told EV2-A (or EV2-B) is now a requirement for those adding storage. There were no other rate plan options for us.

Will be interested to see how this pans out - I’m on EV-A for another year, but just got two powerwalls. The PTO application had “stay on current plan” selected, but it has yet to be approved…

I got the powerwalls in no small part because of my impending booting from EV-A, but certainly wouldn’t mind keeping it for another year if I can…

Will be interested to see how this pans out - I’m on EV-A for another year, but just got two powerwalls. The PTO application had “stay on current plan” selected, but it has yet to be approved…

I got the powerwalls in no small part because of my impending booting from EV-A, but certainly wouldn’t mind keeping it for another year if I can…
Yeah, it's juicy. I was supposed to have it for a number of years and even after promising me on the phone, they still forced me off of it. That one, I get. It doesn't reflect the demand curve very well.

Reactions: ucmndd
From the LA Times article:

Both sides are running TV ads trying to rile the public into shouting at the governor and the PUC.

“We’re trying to make him feel the heat and to understand that if he wants to be a climate change leader, he’s going to have to lead and not be put in a position where California has the worst rooftop solar policy in America,” Court says. “He’s got everybody on his butt.”
Odd wording of who has the bigger brown nose....or bigger wallet.

I was told EV2-A (or EV2-B) is now a requirement for those adding storage. There were no other rate plan options for us.
I would be very interested if they pointed to any tariff document that requires this change, especially since it isn't possible for solar ESS to be charged from the grid (non-solar SGIP ESS is obviously always charged from the grid). When my solar + two Powerwalls received PTO in November 2020, I went from E-1 to E-TOU-C. There was no SGIP rebate involved as allocation was used up at the time (or Telsa wouldn't submit it).

Is EVA actually better for non-Powerwall homes than EV2A? Like EVA has summer peak that is $0.60 per kWh. Crazy for people who cannot TOU shift with ESS.
If you have solar, probably yes. TOU timing is much more amenable for backfeed resale since it starts 2 hours earlier than EV2A, with part peak even earlier. It also ends sooner (9pm vs midnight IIRC).

Is EVA actually better for non-Powerwall homes than EV2A? Like EVA has summer peak that is $0.60 per kWh. Crazy for people who cannot TOU shift with ESS.
Much better for the reasons @ohmman mentions, if you have solar. Peak starting at 2pm means I'm selling at $0.60/kwh, not buying. Also, all the morning solar generation is credited at mid-peak rates instead of off-peak. EV-A really is "too good to be true" for NEM solar.

The PGE rate plan estimator tells me my annual true up would almost double - EV-A is about $1500, EV2-A is nearly $3,000 (this is before storage).