Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
stay tuned

"...investor-owned utilities want to sell Californians power, they want to retain monopoly control..."

"Sixteen state-level studies have disproven the cost-shift argument, as has a national study, completed by Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LNBL). Berkeley found that 40 of the 43 states and Washington D.C. with net metering programs have a negligible cost increase attributed to solar, and in many cases had cost benefits."

"In its annual Residential Solar-Adopter Income and Demographics Trends report, it found that about one-third of California households that installed rooftop solar in 2021 were solidly working- and middle-class families, with annual incomes between $50,000 and $100,000. Only 12 percent of households had annual incomes of $250,000 or more. It also found that the median income among all U.S. households that installed solar in 2021 was roughly $110,000, compared to $129,000 in 2010."

It's obvious to everyone that when you have a drug that everyone relies on, no company will want to give it up.

I still feel there should be an idea/way to make power non-profits or break them up. Investor-owned and utilities vs. basic need just don't go hand in hand. It's simply impossible I feel to satisfy one group (investors) and power users since their desires are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Haha is anyone allowed to be a "party" for this meeting? I want redhill_qik to comment about how they could make the bills easier to understand.

A remote oral argument hearing is set as follows:
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific
Link: https://cpuc.webex.com/cpuc/onstage/g.php?MTID=e01c93451025 9316ada7ace649d7ba4e6
Public Password: 2022
Event number: 2497 751 0248
Public Toll-Free: 800-857-1917
Public Passcode: 1767567#

Any party who would like to present oral argument shall send a request by electronic mail to Administrative Law Judge Kelly A. Hymes at [email protected], copied to Proceeding Analysts Annalissa Herbert at [email protected] and Uzma Rehman at [email protected] no later than 12:00 p.m. on November 9, 2022, with the following subject line:

R2008020 November Oral Argument Request to Present.

The request should state the name of the party and the name, email address, and phone number of the person who will speak for the party or parties during the oral argument. Only one speaker for a party is permitted. The Commission will provide a speaker link to the party prior to the oral argument. This link shall not be shared with or used by any other person.

Haha is anyone allowed to be a "party" for this meeting? I want redhill_qik to comment about how they could make the bills easier to understand.

A remote oral argument hearing is set as follows:
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific
Link: https://cpuc.webex.com/cpuc/onstage/g.php?MTID=e01c93451025 9316ada7ace649d7ba4e6
Public Password: 2022
Event number: 2497 751 0248
Public Toll-Free: 800-857-1917
Public Passcode: 1767567#

Any party who would like to present oral argument shall send a request by electronic mail to Administrative Law Judge Kelly A. Hymes at [email protected], copied to Proceeding Analysts Annalissa Herbert at [email protected] and Uzma Rehman at [email protected] no later than 12:00 p.m. on November 9, 2022, with the following subject line:

R2008020 November Oral Argument Request to Present.

The request should state the name of the party and the name, email address, and phone number of the person who will speak for the party or parties during the oral argument. Only one speaker for a party is permitted. The Commission will provide a speaker link to the party prior to the oral argument. This link shall not be shared with or used by any other person.
What is meeting specifically about the bill formats or just a regular (although likely post-NEM3 release) meeting?

I was just looking at my PG&E annual true-up and reconciling some of my data that has been lagging due to not actually having solar since 9/19 (crossing my fingers that I'm producing again tomorrow) and I came across a bug in the black bill.
1667845416804.png

Since I haven't been generating and exporting since 9/19, the last month was zero exports to the grid from 9/26-10/24, but instead of the first entry in the "EXPORT TO THE GRID" being "0" like the "SOLAR GENERATION ELIGIBLE OF CREDIT" entry, it must have been blank and all of the values in the column were shifted up by one with a blank space at the bottom. This is pretty crazy and someone had to have written some pretty bad custom code for this table to have this happen.

For the curious on what my annual true-up looks like as a net exporter/producer/generator:
  • Cumulative MDCs = $124.75
  • Cumulative NBCs = $91.13
  • Cumulative Energy Charges/Credits = -$533.01 (PG&E distribution & transmission only, CCA generation true-up in April)
  • True-up amount = $0.00 (plus $10.09 for the last month MDCs)

What is meeting specifically about the bill formats or just a regular (although likely post-NEM3 release) meeting?

I was just looking at my PG&E annual true-up and reconciling some of my data that has been lagging due to not actually having solar since 9/19 (crossing my fingers that I'm producing again tomorrow) and I came across a bug in the black bill. View attachment 872156

Since I haven't been generating and exporting since 9/19, the last month was zero exports to the grid from 9/26-10/24, but instead of the first entry in the "EXPORT TO THE GRID" being "0" like the "SOLAR GENERATION ELIGIBLE OF CREDIT" entry, it must have been blank and all of the values in the column were shifted up by one with a blank space at the bottom. This is pretty crazy and someone had to have written some pretty bad custom code for this table to have this happen.

For the curious on what my annual true-up looks like as a net exporter/producer/generator:
  • Cumulative Energy Charges/Credits = -$533.01 (PG&E distribution & transmission only, CCA generation true-up in April)

That meeting is about NEM 3.0. But I'm sure you can still talk about how the billing is BS

I was just looking at my PG&E annual true-up and reconciling some of my data that has been lagging due to not actually having solar since 9/19 (crossing my fingers that I'm producing again tomorrow) and I came across a bug in the black bill. View attachment 872156

They've made the billing statement so complicated they can't even figure out when there is a problem.

What happened with the Nem3 news from CPUC yesterday?
I couldn't find anything about new revisions to the NEM 3 proposal in the Google news feeds, and the CPUC's web page doesn't mention it either. So I guess if the CPUC is going to hear oral arguments about NEM 3 on November 16, they are going to hear arguments about the draft proposals that came out a year ago, plus the other ideas they floated last summer. I don't know what they will gain from another hearing since they already have collected hundreds of pages of comments and many hours of testimony about those proposals.

This shouldn't be such a mystery. The CPUC is a state agency and by law it has to be open and transparent in its decision-making process. If someone could get though to the right CPUC employee we should be able to get an official update of their plans for NEM 3.

Yes, the Governor and a lot of other people said the 2021 draft NEM 3 proposal needed more work. And supposedly the CPUC has been working on it since then. CPUC staff floated a few new ideas about the proposal earlier this year and got another ear full of negative comments, but I haven't seen an official update on NEM 3 for months.

PV Magazine's article said the CPUC would release a revised NEM 3 proposal on November 8, but that apparently didn't happen. The San Diego Union says the commissioners are going to hear oral arguments on NEM 3 next week, and the paper thinks that means they are close to releasing the final NEM 3 rules. Since there's no new NEM 3 proposal to comment on, I think the commissioners may just be fulfilling some procedural requirement for a final public input before releasing their decision on last year's proposal, with whatever changes staff have made since then.

I sent a message to the author of the PV Magazine article asking if he knows what's going on. I'll post his response if I receive one.

This is just required paperwork to void the original NEM 3.0 proposal so that they can release the new NEM 3.0 proposal.
Well I think it is more than just paperwork. If the changes were minor, they could have proceeded with another revision. To me this is a sign that there are more significant changes to be announced.

It also restarts the clock on the proceedings, as a whole new round of comments and hearings will be required. Perhaps some of the more contested aspects will be changed or dropped. Maybe a whole new approach. We really won't know until the new PD is released.

Well I think it is more than just paperwork. If the changes were minor, they could have proceeded with another revision. To me this is a sign that there are more significant changes to be announced.

It also restarts the clock on the proceedings, as a whole new round of comments and hearings will be required. Perhaps some of the more contested aspects will be changed or dropped. Maybe a whole new approach. We really won't know until the new PD is released.

So what's going to happen first... NEM 3.0 or the first Cybertruck rolls out of end assembly?

Reactions: buckets0fun