Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anecdotes are interesting but nothing you can use to make financial decisions.
Warranties cost money. Either the cost is built into the price or you pay extra.
Companies who sell warranties (either the seller or a third party) almost always overprice them because they want to make money.
So, in the long run, you will pay more for warranties than you receive in benefits. Most of the time much more.
That is why I don't value warranties.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Warranties cost money. Either the cost is built into the price or you pay extra.
Companies who sell warranties (either the seller or a third party) almost always overprice them because they want to make money.
So, in the long run, you will pay more for warranties than you receive in benefits. Most of the time much more.
Yes, warranties are essentially just an insurance policy. I also don't care for insurance, and only carry it where required or with deductibles that make it only effective for catastrophic events, but that's because I don't rely on it to continue living/working/etc. It is different for people with different means, responsibilities, and expectations.

Again, we are NOT talking about paying for extended warranties here and as you say, they are definitely built into the price. But when pricing is similar or not much different, is a 25 year warranty mostly worthless (your words) or is it possibly, just maybe better if someone is buying a similar item for about the same price.

Companies manufacturer things that may break right after warranty because that's financially how long they want to be on the hook for the item or when they reasonably expect it to fail.

There are normally many different factors as well making this comparison hard to perfectly compare, but they are not mostly worthless IMO. I've had enough say, HDs die at year 2, month 3 that yeah, it sucked that the warranty was 2 years, should've gone for that better drive (totally diff brand), etc...(or car, inverter).

Edit: An example maybe say, Dewalt tools vs. Milwaukee. 3 year vs. 5 year, usually around the same price, is that extra 2 years worthless?

I also generally never buy extended warranties, but I definitely look at a manufacturer's warranty when basing buying decisions for products.

Last edited:
Reactions: RKCRLR
Since this discussion seems to have some legs, I went back and found my order for the batteries which prompted the start of this discussion.
The batteries do come with a 5 year warranty (I still have 2 years left on it) and the company is still in business!
Here are the batteries (even cheaper now):

Not one single piece of the solar kit I have bought in the past 10 years has failed. Inverters, microinverters, panels, batteries,etc.
I even have 10 year old AGM batteries that work just fine.
Most of this stuff is out of warranty and if it failed I could replace it with cheaper, better spec stuff.
Well some of us have SolarEdge HD-Wave inverters which have crapped out. Mine died just shy of the 2 years and it was well after they had supposedly cleaned the pipeline of units that had "faulty" capacitors in them. It was replaced at no cost to me, but since I was still able to buy a 25 year extended warranty for $214 I did it without a second thought because the risk of a future failure is high for this family line.

Reactions: mspohr and h2ofun
Yes, manufacturer warranties are built into the price but I haven't seen they are trying to make money on the warranty. If anything they are just trying to break even. Aftermarket "warranties" (actually service contracts) are different where there is profit and additional overhead involved and the house always wins in the long run otherwise they wouldn't stay in business. I pay attention to manufacturer warranties but rarely purchase extended "warranties".

Since this discussion seems to have some legs, I went back and found my order for the batteries which prompted the start of this discussion.
The batteries do come with a 5 year warranty (I still have 2 years left on it) and the company is still in business!
Here are the batteries (even cheaper now):
Are you confident they will actually honor the warranty if you need a replacement?

IMHO, aside from the often opaque/unresponsive seller communications, there are just too many horror stories with Alibaba/Aliexpress batteries to consider them as comparable alternatives to home batteries from the likes of Tesla, Enphase, etc. when it's often a $10K's purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
Are you confident they will actually honor the warranty if you need a replacement?

IMHO, aside from the often opaque/unresponsive seller communications, there are just too many horror stories with Alibaba/Aliexpress batteries to consider them as comparable alternatives to home batteries from the likes of Tesla, Enphase, etc. when it's often a $10K's purchase.
15 kWh of these batteries is $1500 delivered.
Not much risk.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
15 kWh of these batteries is $1500 delivered.
Not much risk.

$1500 risk in this case, but from quickly browsing pretty much all threads on diysolar searching under Shenzhen Basen, every thread seems to sound like a prayer, good batch luck wish if you buy, if issues...you're screwed, no way to ship back (too heavy), no response, avoid Alex so and so, various complaints, vibe. I don't think outside of the real DIYers, this isn't a recipe for the majority of folks to bother with at all.

Anyone considering throwing $1500 and praying you get your stuff and end up with $0 value finds that not much risk?

Not to mention, there can be bad issues if someone was not knowledgeable on what to do (you can cause a fire), it's happened, etc....I know you're an engineer, but if you get 6 years worth of it and it's all gone to crap after, you're still out of $$ and have to waste it again rebuying more stuff.

This could be more your "hobby" so you don't care/find it fund, no risk, but again, a lot of folks just wants this crap to work and never have to deal with it.

just got this email from PG&E. What is this about? I thought NEM2 was already dead to new solar installs

Join us for a virtual webinar and Q&A where PG&E’s Interconnection and Distributed Generation experts will:
  • Provide an update on the Net Energy Metering 2 Aggregation (NEM2A) and Net Energy Metering 2 Virtual (NEM2V) sunset
  • Discuss partial application next steps and program closure to new applicants starting February 15, 2024
  • Answer questions regarding application deadlines, submission qualifications, and more

just got this email from PG&E. What is this about? I thought NEM2 was already dead to new solar installs

Join us for a virtual webinar and Q&A where PG&E’s Interconnection and Distributed Generation experts will:
  • Provide an update on the Net Energy Metering 2 Aggregation (NEM2A) and Net Energy Metering 2 Virtual (NEM2V) sunset
  • Discuss partial application next steps and program closure to new applicants starting February 15, 2024
  • Answer questions regarding application deadlines, submission qualifications, and more
Those are both special cases, not normal residential interconnections. However, I'm surprised that they're still open at all.

• Informative
Reactions: getakey
California lawmakers backpedal on new electricity rates rule based on customer income

It’s a good time to contact your California representatives and ask them to fix AB 205 which will further decimate solar and make electricity exceedingly expensive for those who have already prepaid their electricity costs for the next decade via a solar investment.

Those who have enough solar and battery storage to rarely need the grid (soon to be many more as EV bidirectional charging becomes available) could soon be paying $50-80/ month just for the connection to the grid even if they import 0kwh (or be paying $50-80/kwh - 100x more, instead of $0.50/kwh if they use just 1 kWh).

Reactions: mspohr
not unfair to have to pay to maintain the connection. Same as we all have to pay for our ev, not by the mile. Contrarian, not realistic. Then, maybe, new homes would not have to pay tens of thousands for a connection.
Yes, but everyone pays the same annual fee for the same EV (or actually for any EV). A fee to maintain the grid connection maybe is OK, but if one person pays 10X as much for the same 200A connection for his house as the person next door, with the same 200A connection and similar-sized house, just because of his income, is that fair?

Yes, but everyone pays the same annual fee for the same EV (or actually for any EV). A fee to maintain the grid connection maybe is OK, but if one person pays 10X as much for the same 200A connection for his house as the person next door, with the same 200A connection and similar-sized house, just because of his income, is that fair?
Fair? Tax or quasi tax? Ha. We have had income based discounts for years. We tax certain earnings more than others. One state, make one cent too much, and the one can can cost you thousands.

If I followed correctly, the idea is to set the real cost evenly, then Charge higher earners to subsidize the lower earners. So one can think of the mid tier monthly as the fair, with the higher end paying for the lower end.

Our 200 ev registration tax is not fair either. We don’t drive enough to make it match what we would have paid in fuel tax. Those that drive more get subsidized by me.

Or consider prop 13. My neighbors prop tax monthly is more than my monthly pmt, tax, interest, and utilities. Fair? Nope.

Reactions: ohmman and mspohr
People notice when things seem unfairly against them but also conveniently don't notice when things are stacked in their favor (also unfairly).

Humans are funny that way.
And it is reflected every time we vote. We vote our pockets. Those that run only do what their backers want, with a rare exception of what is actually good for the majority of those they represent. I am embarrassed, but I elect not to subject me and mine to the invasion of running for office.

I am for a monthly access fee because making the new connections fund what they have to is unsustainable. Even an adu gets hit with a non cost reflective connection fee.

Reactions: mspohr
I'd support a fixed monthly fee for the privilege of connecting to the grid but it should be based on the cost impact to the grid of your connection, not your income. And my wife and I are retired so we'd be better off with a connection fee based on income. And if that makes it too expensive for low income people then the subsidies should come from somewhere outside of the utility users. Better yet, get the cost of electricity under control in California so it is cheaper for everyone.