Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creased seats in Model X after 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
essmd: If you are going to cover them, why bother with leather at all? Any cover will look like the old folk's covers on the living room furniture. Just use the seats and let them wear out, then re-upholster and enjoy for another several years.

That does make the most sense and the most likely scenario... but how much does it cost to re-upholster automotive seats? I have no idea...

I'm not believing the Tesla story of this is normal. My 14 year-old Acura at less than half the price still has seats in GREAT condition, no creases and no tearing, and I've also put 210,000 miles on it. Sounds like Tesla doesn't know how to make good seats.

Your point is well taken, at least regarding the perforated leather seats with the ventilated package.

I am not sure if the solid leather ones will hold up any better.

Reactions: KrenGrl
I have ventilated seats (our X is one of the last to get them) and after a couple of weeks I have some creasing as well. SC said in my VIN range its a known issue and have put in a request for new front driver and passenger seats. Evidently they are custom build, so I was told 6-18 weeks for delivery. I'm not really concerned, mine don't look that bad. I also really didn't complain much about it, and didn't even come straight out and ask, but they told me right away they would order new seats for me and install at a future date.

Reactions: mkq786
I have ventilated seats (our X is one of the last to get them) and after a couple of weeks I have some creasing as well. SC said in my VIN range its a known issue and have put in a request for new front driver and passenger seats. Evidently they are custom build, so I was told 6-18 weeks for delivery. I'm not really concerned, mine don't look that bad. I also really didn't complain much about it, and didn't even come straight out and ask, but they told me right away they would order new seats for me and install at a future date.
Interesting... wonder if 'known issue' means newer cars have something different? Yours can't be that old if it was one of the last ventilated seats; I assume it was made in March from your sig? The demo one we had was also March, but non-ventilated black.

Reactions: Mike M
Here is a picture of the front passenger seat, the drivers seat is the same and was this way a month after delivery. Wondering if I should pursue replacement. I had mentioned on the last visit to the service center in October of last year and the service advisor said he would inquire. I have not asked for the seats to replaced at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: Mike M
Here is a picture of the front passenger seat, the drivers seat is the same and was this way a month after delivery. Wondering if I should pursue replacement. I had mentioned on the last visit to the service center in October of last year and the service advisor said he would inquire. I have not asked for the seats to replaced at this point.
Merrill, Mine look very similar to that. Similar creasing.

Interesting... wonder if 'known issue' means newer cars have something different? Yours can't be that old if it was one of the last ventilated seats; I assume it was made in March from your sig? The demo one we had was also March, but non-ventilated black.
Wish I had an answer on that. He knew that due to the VIN series, that it was something they would simply replace. And yes, we took delivery in March. Built early March just after the line shutdown.

Hmm, I think I may have you beat, as mine was delivered in July...
I weigh 240lbs, and I am the primary driver.
Even worse is my passenger seat , as I rarely have passengers (20% of the time) and my wife weighs 130ish...

If I was not having my vehicle replaced, I would definitely be barking about how bad they are holding up.
Passenger.jpg Driver.jpg

Between the weakness of the ventilated seats and the crappy durability of the perforated leather seats, it makes perfect sens why they removed that option.

The truth is many other manufacturers provide effective cooled and ventilated seats that hold up well, ie my Cayenne, my daughter's Kia Sorrento, etc

It's just not a priority for Tesla since they think so "Californian", like most of that state's population (I can say that since I once lived there).

Jeez. I keep hitting myself for not taking pictures of the demo unit we had, now... But the seats were night and day from the pics above. And before the "'it's' new!' comment" comes up again, people have said they have had issues right off the truck. Our Black Leather demo unit had seats with leather that looked twice as thick as @essmd 's pics (unventilated, of course), and not a wrinkle. It convinced me to (probably) get leather and not Ultrawhite, it was that good.

Someone needs to take delivery of a new X with leather to verify/solve that there is an upgrade/correction going on here. ;)

Although it was mentioned before, I am sure the issue not just lies with the leather quality or being perforated or not, but the padding under the leather probably plays a major role.

Non-vented seats are capable of being filled with a better solid cushion, while the vented seats need to maintain the air channels for the ventilation, thus a less dense material.

Is anybody reporting a problem with the top of non-vented seats?

Is anybody reporting a problem with the top of non-vented seats?

Look at my photo in post #19. This was taken shortly after delivery. Others have mentioned they thought the new leather appears more solid. I tend to agree, but some issues may still be evident. Its been exactly 1 month since delivery, and about 1K miles. Let me know if you want follow up pics.

Look at my photo in post #19. This was taken shortly after delivery. Others have mentioned they thought the new leather appears more solid. I tend to agree, but some issues may still be evident. Its been exactly 1 month since delivery, and about 1K miles. Let me know if you want follow up pics.

Wow, that does look as though it may not be constructed properly, or even the non-vented seats are subject to early disfigurement.

Any conversation with the Service Center on that? Are you willing to accept it?

I guess there is so much reality for an owner's expectations, and I have found Tesla Service reps are trained in attempting to manage owner's expectations... but that does not always turn out how they want it to.

I'm in Scottsdale and saw this in a brand new X at the Fashion Square Tesla store. I know it's new because this car has the matte backs. Seats were totally wrinkled and leather was loose. How can this be acceptable on a new car?

IMG_1368.JPG

I returned to this forum, and surprised this post on Electrek hasn't received a comment yet:
Model S Owner gets seats replaced by Ranger.

Photo Credit: Dominic Scaffidi / Electrek -- I'm simply reposting

Old Seats:
old.jpg

New Seats:

new.jpg

I will say my seat crease is 90% of the same problem Dominic had. I had my seats steamed by the SC last month... which helped everything but the crease I have. Ahem, worth reaching out to Tesla again?
-TechVP

I'm in Scottsdale and saw this in a brand new X at the Fashion Square Tesla store. I know it's new because this car has the matte backs. Seats were totally wrinkled and leather was loose. How can this be acceptable on a new car?

View attachment 225961
Tesla WILL fix it .... we had even worse wrinkly grey leather on our model S - at end of last year. I say 'worse' because before we got it home, less than one hour driving, it looked ridiculous. They said they'd have to send it into a custom leather shop & the appointment would be at least 3 weeks out. Way less issues with the fake White in our X. Except the stitching starts looking dark as it begins getting dirty , & then man, it really stands out. It's my better half's car - so.... oh well ... we'll figure out how to dress up the stitching - eventually.