Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creased seats in Model X after 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am transitioning from a HW1 to a HW2 MX, I will go from perforated to solid, and was told by the Tesla rep that the newer seats are expected to minimize this, but I think that is nonsense.

Now that I hear of this being universal for all leather types, I will pursue what options are available for prevent this, as in a cover. However, there are few quality options for this caliber of vehicle.

Any suggestions??? Sheepskins? or is that tacky??? Beads?? Oh My...

Tesla is a newer car operation, and Elon is saving the world. Eventually our cars will age, so maybe we should cut them some slack. My car is only a month old, and I've already got some issues. But I still love the car.

Wow, I suppose given your member name, your perspective is understandable and I love that we all can see the world as we want it...and express ourselves.

But I have owned mine since July, and there are many aspects where Tesla falls short given reasonable expectations. My leather seats look like they are 4 years old, and when I go to sell, it will definitely be a negative element.

As far as Elon saving the world.... Not buying it, keep in mind that he profits from all the things he is developing to "save the world"

Now he is brilliant, I will not argue with that....

Peace, and long life ;)

Wow, I suppose given your member name, your perspective is understandable and I love that we all can see the world as we want it...and express ourselves.

But I have owned mine since July, and there are many aspects where Tesla falls short given reasonable expectations. My leather seats look like they are 4 years old, and when I go to sell, it will definitely be a negative element.

As far as Elon saving the world.... Not buying it, keep in mind that he profits from all the things he is developing to "save the world"

Now he is brilliant, I will not argue with that....

Peace, and long life ;)

To be honest, do you think money is really Elon's motivating factor? If it was, he wouldn't have bet his PayPayl fortune to build, of all things, a car company which had a high chance of failure.

But if your seats are looking that bad, I can understand the disappointment. Maybe it's going to happen to my car. One month in, my white seats are still ok.

I have some small creasing going on with our fronts seats after a couple weeks, and I have one of the last HW2's with the ventilated option. The way I look at it is, the seats are super comfy. If they continue to get worse and really look bad, at a certain point when its still under warranty in a year or two, I'll take to the SC and get them replaced. For now though, I could quibble about a few things (never had a car I couldn't), but the car has exceeded expectations.

Reactions: mkq786
To be honest, do you think money is really Elon's motivating factor? If it was, he wouldn't have bet his PayPayl fortune to build, of all things, a car company which had a high chance of failure.

But if your seats are looking that bad, I can understand the disappointment. Maybe it's going to happen to my car. One month in, my white seats are still ok.

I have much respect for Elon, and agree that he does have altruistic intentions, but I question his motivation for the Mars project, again which would use his business for If we do populate Mars, it will still be a hostile environment and life there will completely dependent on Earth for support. The real solution is to work on high-speed space transport, or space-time manipulation.. so we can actually populate a planet that has the ability to support human life, has atmosphere, food can be grown, etc.

Glad you enjoy your seats, perhaps they will hold up better than the leather over time.

Also, just noticed the inner vertical molding is wearing away, from my butt always rubbing against it while entering and exiting. I have evaluated to see if I can maneuver in a way to avoid contact with this, but I think this is an expected wear element. On my Cayenne, this area is covered with a hard plastic that rarely shows the wear. so I suspect Tesla did not expect this to be an issue.

Guess I will inform somebody there...

I have some small creasing going on with our fronts seats after a couple weeks, and I have one of the last HW2's with the ventilated option. The way I look at it is, the seats are super comfy. If they continue to get worse and really look bad, at a certain point when its still under warranty in a year or two, I'll take to the SC and get them replaced. For now though, I could quibble about a few things (never had a car I couldn't), but the car has exceeded expectations.

There is no way they will do anything for the seats under warranty, as that is a wear and tear process, albeit based on a poor quality product, but not a manufacturer defect.

I am replacing my HW1 with a HW2, so will not be getting the perforated seats.

I am worried how bad the solid leather seats will wear, but my other option is not get a Tesla, and that's not gonna happen.

I have much respect for Elon, and agree that he does have altruistic intentions, but I question his motivation for the Mars project, again which would use his business for If we do populate Mars, it will still be a hostile environment and life there will completely dependent on Earth for support. The real solution is to work on high-speed space transport, or space-time manipulation.. so we can actually populate a planet that has the ability to support human life, has atmosphere, food can be grown, etc.

Glad you enjoy your seats, perhaps they will hold up better than the leather over time.

Also, just noticed the inner vertical molding is wearing away, from my butt always rubbing against it while entering and exiting. I have evaluated to see if I can maneuver in a way to avoid contact with this, but I think this is an expected wear element. On my Cayenne, this area is covered with a hard plastic that rarely shows the wear. so I suspect Tesla did not expect this to be an issue.

Guess I will inform somebody there...

The pillar wear is a common issue which has also been brought up in the forum as well.

This can't be normal, right? I've put 300 miles on the car and I weigh 110 pounds.
BAAHH - that's nothing. Our grey leather had that going on w/in the 1st 3hrs of driving ... less than 100 miles. Tesla is the only game in town - so we live w/ it, or we keep going back to the service center. Still . . . i feel your pain.
surprise surprise ... grey leather, like ventilated, gone by the way side too, despite its popularity.

So, adding my data point for a new X demo car we had overnight... I expected an ultra white, but it actually had PUP and Black Leather, and the seats looked flawless. Leather looked a lot 'thicker' than in some of the posted shots (of course, not ventilated), and no wrinkles, or anything. Wondering if any changes have been made as a result of the change from ventilated with new Volvo interior expert?

Car was made in March VIN 39xxx.

Edit: forgot to say it was a 75D, for completeness!

Last edited:
Car was made in March VIN 39xxx.
Key here is new. A 39xxx VIN was delivered likely after mine, 35xxx which is not even a month old. Same style solid black leather.

I do think you made some good observations; don't get me wrong. For some insight, see if you can revisit that car in 2-4 weeks. And see how it holds up.

Good call on the Overnight Test Drive, by the way. I do highly recommend taking one.

Key here is new. A 39xxx VIN was delivered likely after mine, 35xxx which is not even a month old. Same style solid black leather.

I do think you made some good observations; don't get me wrong. For some insight, see if you can revisit that car in 2-4 weeks. And see how it holds up.

Good call on the Overnight Test Drive, by the way. I do highly recommend taking one.
Quite understand your point, but there have been posts where the seats were wrinkled and bad looking right off the truck. And I was mainly commenting on the fact that the leather looked 'thicker' that what I'd seen in pics posted here, but it is hard to say if there's been a real change in the seats or not. The one I had is in stock as their overnight loaner (that's the driver profile name) so it may be hard to see it again but that's a good idea to try and check it out in a month or two.

Edit to add: this car was really new. We may have been the first to have it overnight. It has 12 miles on it when I sat down in the the first time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TechVP
essmd: If you are going to cover them, why bother with leather at all? Any cover will look like the old folk's covers on the living room furniture. Just use the seats and let them wear out, then re-upholster and enjoy for another several years.

Reactions: mkq786