Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep Mode.. drifting backwards...a third option needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to keep Creep Mode OFF, but the issue I have is that without creep mode, the car is in total free wheel mode (forward and backwards), and so once or twice I have found myself drifting backwards when the road has even the slightest of inclines on a normal "flat" road...

It would be great if the car would restrict backward drift when not in creep mode. I don't want it to go forward with out the gas pedal, but I don't want it to go backwards without either being in reverse or or neutral.

Last edited:
Drives me nuts too! When I'm in drive I only want to move forward. Period. I NEVER want to roll backwards. It's really annoying when in traffic or a stoplight on a road with a slight incline. You think you've stopped and take your foot off the break a millisecond too early so instead of it going into "hold", it rolls backwards. In this situation, when the car shifts from forward movement to backward movement, when in drive, the car should go into hold!

After testing this...
It seems to come down to, if your foot is actually on the brake when you come to a speed of Zero (not 1 or 2) , then Vehicle Hold is enabled and all is good. If you drift in that last km/hr or two, say if you are on a slight incline, then hold is not activated and you can drift backwards.

The hold is activated when the dash shows (H). If you have your foot very lightly on the brake (i.e. because the surface is level) then the hold won't activate unless you give the brake a firmer push. I love this feature as I'd rather keep my foot on the accelerator ready to go than on the brake.

It would be great if the car would restrict backward drift when not in creep mode. I don't want it to go forward with out the gas pedal, but I don't want it to go backwards without either being in reverse or or neutral.

The BMW i3 does this. When the car is in "drive" it will not roll backwards and when the car is in reverse it will not roll forwards. While this is a nice feature, I still prefer the Tesla hill hold option.

The i3 does NOT have creep as an option by the way. No creep at all.

Drifting back even when creep is enabled.
Prior to v8.0 update, this never happened. Since updating, Model X has drifted back twice when releasing the brake on a very subtle incline. There may be some delay between when the brake release signals the drive motor. The electronic control differs from an automatic transmission in that drivetrain torque is not constant while in D and depressing the brake. In an EV the release of the brake pedal simultaneously engages the motor if creep mode is enabled to simulate the constant torque of an automatic tranny. The timing of the electric motor's torque, if delayed enough, will allow the MX to drift back before it creeps forward. I'm not sure if tesla has changed this timing in v8.0
The use of Brake hold on any incline resolves this.

i don't creep around much but when i do it's in a Tesla Model X. ;)

all kidding aside, i have never enabled creep and i almost always use hard hold. the only time i don't is when backing up into my garage. it is a decent grade and i take it slow since i only have 2" MAX on either side of me. if i let off the gas the X naturally rolls forward instead of holding still. it has been tricky finding that sweet spot to where i can hold the X in place and not move either direction.

• Funny
Reactions: systemcrashed
Today I tried to replicate the drift I experienced and I noticed that when letting go of the brake slowly the motor's torque is felt just as the brake calipers release from the rotors. Although, when I very quickly let off the brake there's almost a half-second pause before the motor begins the creep. This pause may be enough to allow the car to roll back a bit when on an incline. The problem is that some inclines are not that obvious.