Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep on or off and why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um... here in this forum. There was a poll and the majority said they have it turned off.

Creep ON or OFF?
OK, I thought possibly there was scientific study done. I was interested in seeing that. I didn't know that you meant this informal one in this thread. While it does indeed seem that those with creep off on this post are (so far) outpacing those with creep on, it (at this point) is still a small sampling. As others have said, i'm glad we have the choice. Thanks for your response!

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr and cwerdna
I don't care about personal preference. I do think it's nonsense when people try to make up arguments to support their preference. A car that pushes forward on it's own without the driver wanting it and he/she has to constantly hold the brake to prevent it from going on it's own is definitely not a 'safer' option. It is an old flaw of an ICE that has to keep running at a minimum speed to not stall and the lack of a proper disconnect to the wheels. Tesla has such fantastic smooth and fine control with the pedal and the motor that even a beginner can inch the car forward or backwards into a parking spot or garage.
My two girls that recently learned to drive in both a Tesla and a ICE truck preferred the way the Tesla drives and did their driving test in the Tesla. Creep is something people are just used to from driving automatic transmissions for many years. That's why it feel odd to them when it's not there. That's it. It's not better or safer.

I keep creep on, but I do understand the point that one does not want the car to move without any input from the driver. The thing is though, the car may move anyway, if it is on an incline, even if unnoticeable or slight. Because of this, You have to keep the brake pedal pressed anyway (I have a pre Hold function car, and I assume the creep-off people are advocating it irrespective of the Hold feature). Without the hold function, with no pedals pressed, with creep off, the car may or may not move by itself - you have to guesstimate; and with creep on, you know the car will go forward. :D

Edit: And by the way, this is my first car. I rent cars on road trips before, but this is the only car that have driven on a daily basis. I am pretty sure I do not prefer creep on because I am used to an ICE. When I learned driving, that was on a manual transmission ICE.

When the Hold feature came out, I imagined I would prefer to have creep off if I had that feature. But then when I got a loaner, and tried it with creep off, I liked it while driving in the city with traffic and traffic lights, but I changed my mind when I parked. I certainly prefer the mostly one pedal parking with creep on to constantly switching between two pedals - especially parking back in - which is how I always park.

Last edited:
Mark_T's analysis of the creep/pedal error is spot on. If you are maneuvering at low speed, creep will carry you along and you can keep your foot poised on the brake pedal. This duplicates what you do with an automatic transmission car. It is also the same for a standard transmission car.

With creep off, you must keep your foot on the accelerator in order to move forward at 3 to 5 miles per hour in a parking lot or garage. It something startles you, your knee-jerk reaction will be to mash down on the pedal under your foot to stop the car. If creep is on, that pedal is the brake and all is well. If creep is off, that pedal is the accelerator, and you may power-launch your P100D through the wall of the parking garage down to the street below.

This is not an academic point. I experienced two hair-raising creep-related pedal errors in the first year I owned my P85DL. Back then, I always kept creep off. Then, on not one but two occasions a few months apart I hit an unseen, misplaced curb in the middle of a commercial parking garage. Startled, I instinctively crammed the pedal under my foot to stop the car--but my foot wasn't on the brake. What I I actually hit was the accelerator--where the foot was required to keep the car moving--and the car power-launched at least 15 feet. Because this happened twice, it obviously was not a mere coincidence. I analyzed everything I could think of and finally concluded that "Creep On" would prevent any further pedal errors. It has now been two years, and I have experienced no further pedal errors.

As an aside, neither of my two pedal error power launches resulted in property damage or personal injury.

No doubt many Tesla drivers have had good experience with leaving creep off. Certainly the minority of drivers who always brake with their left foot would experience no problem. However, because the possible pedal error danger is not apparent to drivers when presented with the "creep off" option for the first time, I would favor removing "Creep Off" as an option.

I agree with TT97 as to creep in standard shift cars. You keep the car in first, slip the clutch and hover over the brake. It is similar to creep. You get the equivalent of creep off only if the clutch is disengaged or the car is in neutral.

I keep creep on because in an electric car with instant torque really tight maneuvers in some parking garages would have a higher risk of hitting something. Creep gives you the option to move slowly and be ready to brake for those tight situations. The same applies for getting through tight areas when driving small streets that have traffic.

I simulated what it would be like to have creep off by trying to back in to a parking spot that was uphill. It was very difficult to feather the accelerator. My distance went from 70 cm to 36 cm in a flash. Any more power and I would've hit the concrete back.

So creep on is the way to go for me. It's easier to rear park with it on.

I don't care about personal preference.
You say this and then go on about your own personal preference and that of your daughters.

As you suggest, it is a matter of personal preference - there is no right or wrong here.

I do think it's nonsense when people try to make up arguments to support their preference. A car that pushes forward on it's own without the driver wanting it and he/she has to constantly hold the brake to prevent it from going on it's own is definitely not a 'safer' option.

My Model S is 196 inches long. My garage is 205 inches long. To be able to close the garage door, I have to back the car to within 5 inches of the stone wall at the back of the garage, every day. Why don't you try simulating this i.e. edge your Tesla to within 5 inches of a solid wall, ten or twenty times, without creep and then let us know how you get on?

We park with 8 inches in front of the car, garage is perfectly flat. Neither I nor Wifey have any trouble parking. We do have the old fashioned ball hanging from the rafter and when it hits the windshield we are in position. Coming into the garage we roll forward at about 5 mph and begin covering the brake and coast into position. Neither of us like creep as we were raised with stick shifts. Regen slowing is surprisingly close to letting off the throttle on our old Pantera. Once under 10 MPH we would have the clutch in and again creep off has the correct mimic.

Reactions: Helmuth and David99
Why don't you try simulating this i.e. edge your Tesla to within 5 inches of a solid wall, ten or twenty times, without creep and then let us know how you get on?

Just fine in fact. The accelerator allows super fine control inching forward or backwards. Using the brake pedal doesn't give me finer or better control. Yes I tried it. Many times. If you find it easier with the brake, that's fine and you should use creep turned on.