Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control activates randomly - Becoming rather dangerous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. My Model S Cruise control activates randomly. There appears to be no pattern to when this occurs. - This is becoming rather dangerous as l have a number of near collisions at intersections and roundabouts. Tesla have quite rightly first replaced the steering column assembly however the problem still persists. At this stage Tesla service have not come up with any solutions and l am becoming rather persistant that they cure this dangerous situation. I am sure there is nothing l have done to activate the cruise control as l have been carefully monitoring my driving. My question is has any other users come across this situation? Thanks in advance. Phill

Hi. My Model S Cruise control activates randomly. There appears to be no pattern to when this occurs. - This is becoming rather dangerous as l have a number of near collisions at intersections and roundabouts. Tesla have quite rightly first replaced the steering column assembly however the problem still persists. At this stage Tesla service have not come up with any solutions and l am becoming rather persistant that they cure this dangerous situation. I am sure there is nothing l have done to activate the cruise control as l have been carefully monitoring my driving. My question is has any other users come across this situation? Thanks in advance. Phill

Can you post a scan of your service invoice showing the repair they attempted and the customer complaint? You can redact/blackout the personal information.

Reactions: Russell
Bzzzzt! Wrong answer. I have over a dozen service invoices for the various warranty repair items, all minor, done over the last 4 years.:rolleyes:

Well you might both be right. I've had warranty work done where I didn't get a copy of the paperwork initially...but I've always been able to call the service center and get a soft-copy of the service invoice emailed to me. Of course for warranty work the balance at the bottom should read $0. So unless service procedures are drastically different in New Zealand than in the United States, there should be a paper trail of this.

Bruce.

can you post a video showing the steering column and the cockpit display over a long journey?
Set it up on a dash-mounted iphone holder.
Then we will know for sure that it's real and not driver error in any form.
Meanwhile- have you disabled Autopilot in the Vehicle submenu?

Reactions: Russell
Well you might both be right. I've had warranty work done where I didn't get a copy of the paperwork initially...but I've always been able to call the service center and get a soft-copy of the service invoice emailed to me. Of course for warranty work the balance at the bottom should read $0. So unless service procedures are drastically different in New Zealand than in the United States, there should be a paper trail of this.

Bruce.

Strange. I always get two invoices emailed. The first one is as I'm checking the car in and the second comes before I drive off after picking it up.

Hi everyone. Hitting the stalk was something that Tesla service suggested however this is not the case. Once I was driving with my left hand on my left leg and my right hand on the steering wheel and driving steadily on a straight highway when it suddenly jumped into cruise Control and I never moved a mm at all. The lever is actually 15 cms higher than my knee. It takes a bit of effort to lift my left leg to hit the lever. Since this incident it has become very clear to me I am not the problem. I have no Auto Pilot SW installed. And software updates have had no influence on the CC. Tesla tells me that the software is "standard" on all vehicles. To me it appears to be an intermittent short circuit in the wiring or possibly some form of electrical induction affecting the cables. Phill :)

can you post a video showing the steering column and the cockpit display over a long journey?
Set it up on a dash-mounted iphone holder.
Then we will know for sure that it's real and not driver error in any form.
Meanwhile- have you disabled Autopilot in the Vehicle submenu?

Hi I have no AP installed and I can assure you it is quite definitely not me causing the problem. See my notes in later post. :)

Hi. My Model S Cruise control activates randomly. There appears to be no pattern to when this occurs. - This is becoming rather dangerous as l have a number of near collisions at intersections and roundabouts. Tesla have quite rightly first replaced the steering column assembly however the problem still persists. At this stage Tesla service have not come up with any solutions and l am becoming rather persistent that they cure this dangerous situation. I am sure there is nothing l have done to activate the cruise control as l have been carefully monitoring my driving. My question is has any other users come across this situation? Thanks in advance. Phill
Nope. I'm good.

Car is pretty new to you? Maybe you hit the control in error.

But thanks for asking Phill!

:rolleyes:
Had it for >18 months now and the problem is quite definitely not me. I have been thru this process with Tesla service. :)

Why even Chelsea Sexton has checked out my Tesla :) ;):p
Chelsea Sexton.jpg

Last edited:
When you say "jumped into cruise"... what does it feel like the car is actually doing? Any of the following:

When cruise is activated without AP the car continues smoothly at speed. A dash indicator lights saying cruise is on. If you didn't happen to notice the dash indicator you would only notice cruise being on when lifting your foot and not getting any regen... car continues to glide at current speed. So if you or the car is turning cruise on this way, it would not be felt as a jump.

If you've used cruise and it's still on (dash indicator on) but you've hit the brakes so speed is not being maintained, using the cruise resume function would re-accelerate the car up to the cruise speed setpoint (which is also indicated on the dash). This would feel like a jump, because you'd be slowing or driving around (after having touched the brake pedal) ... but then the car starts picking up speed again to the setpoint... is this what is happening in your case?

During the trip when you've noticed this happening have you intentionally used cruise at any time in that same trip? i.e. the cruise indicator could still be on.

For now, suggest that you manually turn off cruise when you're done with it every time as a safeguard.

If you can demonstrate just once a car that turns its own cruise control on, lighting up the dash indicator by itself... pull over, park the car and call Tesla to come and get it - you're covered under roadside warranty.

Might be worth getting a dash cam and stick it where the dash and your hands and all controls are in view. And just run it until this happens. Because if you ask Tesla to just read the car's logs, a shorted control input looks no different than you activating the control.

Last edited:
... To me it appears to be an intermittent short circuit in the wiring ...

BINGO! Any competent tech would look at this right after the customer says it happens without driver input and they have run diagnostics on the controller. Connectors, chaffed wire bundles, misapplied tie downs, pinched wire paths. Many diagnostic flow charts follow this path of open/short wiring issues.

It's a PITA to find. I've done it many times. And that might be why you are getting resistance from Tesla service. It's really hard to do sometimes.