Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control, Autopilot Unavailable/No Cars on Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bug reports supposedly just stay on the car, so that when the SC gets the car, they can pull the logs. The reports don't actually go in real-time to anyone.

I'd check any notifications. Make sure all the sensors are clean, especially the windshield one. And, I'd consider running the camera recalibration procedure. Don't know if any of that will help, but I'd be pretty desperate if that were happening to me.

Bug reports supposedly just stay on the car, so that when the SC gets the car, they can pull the logs. The reports don't actually go in real-time to anyone.

I'd check any notifications. Make sure all the sensors are clean, especially the windshield one. And, I'd consider running the camera recalibration procedure. Don't know if any of that will help, but I'd be pretty desperate if that were happening to me.

In my case we have tried camera calibration several times. Actually the last time the mobile service technician gave up since the calibration did not finish and the car threw error codes. It took about 3 days for the calibration to finish.
The technician also previously tried to reset the auto pilot function through a service menu. We googled how to do that ourselves as well and this did not fix it either. I think it worked for like 10 minutes if we reset it and then it stops working again.
Also it doesn´t matter if we just cleaned the car or if it´s really dirty so that has nothing to do with it in our case at least.

The strange thing is that the car throws error codes from the front camera (according to mobile service). But changing the camera to a new one did not help. He was confused to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Just to chip in. Mine does this occasionally. It last did it in May, then yesterday out of the blue it's started again. Probably 50/50 whether it dies it on a journey. Tbh I'm getting kind of annoyed with it, I don't know if something just doesn't initiate properly when the cars started.

Just to chip in. Mine does this occasionally. It last did it in May, then yesterday out of the blue it's started again. Probably 50/50 whether it dies it on a journey. Tbh I'm getting kind of annoyed with it, I don't know if something just doesn't initiate properly when the cars started.
In my case the problem can occur anytime. When starting the car, in the middle of a jorney etc. It can also start working in the middle of a journey. Now it seldom works at all though. So it indeed seem to get worse and worse.
When it worked before it once actually stop working when I was washing the car, without even driving it. I know this because when the error occurs sentry mode gives an error and shuts itself off. So I was notified of this through the app when I had finished washing the car.

mine was fixed by replacement of left fender cam. $250. All is functional again, even the live security cam in the app works perfect now!

Just returned from a 3300 mile road trip and no issues. at all. $237 total in Superchargers. i'll take it.

really really like this car. love went out the door when V11 was installed ('upgraded'. ha. that is a joke)

YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: Theone8181 and KenC
This generally occurs for me after updates. @smatthew's solution is probably the best one here. Albeit, not many people are comfortable with that option. But I've tried everything from cleaning sensors, soft resetting, deep sleeping, etc. Removing the 12V and the back seat connector seems to be the only solve.

I'd also warn people about not taking an update too soon as well. Waiting a week or two before updating generally allows other people to find issues and they would send another patch right after.

One think I'm wondering, is that mine seems to have issues (only sometime), when I'm in an area with poor mobile phone (or cell for you guys:p) service. I wonder if a lack of communication causes it.

I´ve noticed something similar. Nowadays it never works but before it used to work like 30% of the time. And it very often stopped working at around the same place when driving to and from work. Very strange! I don´t know if the reception is poor there or not but it could be.
It was not 100% chance it would stop working at these spots but it happend to much to be a coincidence. But now it never works so idk.

I´ve noticed something similar. Nowadays it never works but before it used to work like 30% of the time. And it very often stopped working at around the same place when driving to and from work. Very strange! I don´t know if the reception is poor there or not but it could be.
It was not 100% chance it would stop working at these spots but it happend to much to be a coincidence. But now it never works so idk.
Mines just hit this stage. I thought it might be the ssd I had connected, but even after a deep sleep with it not connected it still doesn't work. I've created a service request so will see what happens. It's strange as it's happened all of a sudden. Be interesting to see what they say when they look at the logs. It's really annoying as the dashcam won't record anything

Never had this issue with my 2017 model X. First road trip with my 2022 plaid X I found this fun problem. It happens only after being in the car for hours. I've tried everything and as mentioned I have to park and leave the car to sleep (for ADAS to reset?) before it will return. It's annoying when it's happening every day. I wish there was an easy way to reset it.

I do have camera issues. Anytime I'm reversing the camera feed is laggy and skippy. The car came with a bunch of these small issues that I have to keep coming back for them to fix one or two more and "cannot reproduce" or "operates normally" to them all.

How to fix this, the hard way
1) Remove negative from 12V battery
2) Under rear passenger seat, disconnect the connector under the styrofoam shield.

Car will power down - you'll hear the contactor click. Wait 30 seconds, then reconnect the HV harness connector, then reconnect the 12V negative lead.

I keep at 10mm wrench in my frunk so I can do this anywhere, anytime. FSDBeta has fixed most issues with AutoPilot re-initialization errors.
I just performed these steps and my issue still persists. I assume that’s pointing towards a hardware issue?

I opened a service request for my issue. No matter what I do I can’t get it to work. Hard resets, soft resets, wheel config change, power off in safety menu, disconnected 12v and the connector under back seat. Car has slept. I’ve driven almost 215 miles. Something hardware wise must be broken. Will update with what I hear about the remote diagnostics.

They will say: Future Update will fix it 🤷

It's important to send fault messages to Tesla via the Car Button on the bottom left corner of the display ( press it for 5 Seconds ) if a fault appears and Tesla will get a fault message.
Unsure whether you're trying to be funny, or just upset about experiences you've had with your car, since this is the first you've posted in this thread.

How to Reboot (Reset) a Tesla Model 3 and Model Y
The soft reset steps for a Model 3 or Model Y are similar to soft-resetting a Model X or Model S, but with fewer buttons. It’s always worth starting with a reset of the touchscreen before trying a full vehicle reset(again, the full reset is called power cycling in the Tesla Owner’s Manual and a “deep reset” by a lot of Tesla forum members).

The hard reboot/reset (disconnecting the 12V battery) should not be attempted unless recommended by a Tesla service rep or as a last resort.

Model 3/Y Soft Reboot Steps
Press and hold the scroll wheels until the screens turn off
The touchscreen and instrument cluster should restart after 10-30 seconds
As with the Model X and Model S, the touchscreen reset can be done while driving, but parking the vehicle first is highly recommended.
Model 3/Y Full Vehicle Soft Reboot (Reset)
Method 1:
Place vehicle in park, with all doors shut
Go to Controls > Safety and Security > Power Off
Don’t touch anything (brake, doors, steering wheel, touchscreen, etc) for at least two minutes (though it may be best to wait at least five).
After two (or five) minutes has passed, press the brake or open the door to start the Model 3/Y
Method 2:
Place vehicle in Park, with all doors shut
Press and hold the brake pedal
Press and hold both scroll wheels
Keep the brake and buttons pressed until the screen comes back on
Model 3/Y Hard Reboot Steps
Mobile service typically performs this one, but if you are far away from service centers and the mobile tech is not available, this is a method you can use yourself. With care. Don’t void your warranty.

Doing a hard reset on a Model 3 or Model Y for codes that just won’t clear, error messages that won’t resolve, or a vehicle that may be entirely stalled out on an update can sometimes be necessary. However, we do not recommend the hard reset, so if you can, get to a Service Center or schedule a visit with a Mobile Tech first.

Hard reset for a Tesla Model 3/Y
Turn off the Climate Control System
Fully open the driver’s window (to prevent being accidentally locked out)
Open the frunk
Turn off the car
Inside the frunk, remove the top panel (it’s the one with the windshield wiper fluid cap)
With a 10mm socket wrench, disconnect the 12V Battery terminal and isolate it from the post
Open passenger side of the back door
Fasten all the backseat seatbelts (if you don’t want to have to fish them up later)
Swipe your hand under the seats to release the clips that hold the seat down; lift the seats
Remove the foam cover for the wire harness
Disconnect the wire harness and unplug (there will be a noise from the main contactors)
Wait for at least 2-5 minutes
Reverse your steps to replace the wire harness, foam cover, seats, 12V battery terminal, and plastic cover in the frunk

Incase anybody is having this issue or has been following this thread and is interested in any sort of update. My car received an update yesterday and my issue still persists. Tesla service has not yet remotely diagnosed the car and I bring it in Saturday for a service appointment.

Incase anybody is having this issue or has been following this thread and is interested in any sort of update. My car received an update yesterday and my issue still persists. Tesla service has not yet remotely diagnosed the car and I bring it in Saturday for a service appointment.
Would you do me a a Favor?

Can you start Service Mode an look up what kind of Service Alerts you're having when the car does not work?

Mines are:

APP_w133 MainCamInitFault, APS_w134_appMia, APS_w158apbMia

The first on states a fault when initializing the triple front cam and the other two fault codes say something about an incomplete messaging between the Autopilot Computers.

So this looks like some kind of Software Issue or Harness Issue, but it totally random starts to work again 🤷

Please can other people confirm fault codes like that?

Thank you