Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control no longer safe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are plenty of threads on phantom breaking but having just done another motorway trip I believe that cruise control is no longer safe to use.

The purpose of this thread is two fold.

1) To share something I noticed to see if others have seen something similar, and to see if that helps 'whoever' to fix it.

2) How to get Tesla to recognise the issue and fix it?

On the outbound journey, every time I passed large lorry on my left it braked, on one occasion a white van was very close to going into the back of me.

I did notice that the on screen depiction of the lorries was very close, closer than they were in real life.

The motorway had three lanes

On approaching the next lorry (it was in the far left lane) I moved to the far right lane, to overtake it and no problem!

However, I noticed that while I was overtaking the lorry, its depiction on the screen moved from the far left lane to the middle lane and went red as I was overtaking (the lorry itself remained in the far left Lane). Having noticed this it happened quite a lot

Is this the underpinning bug / has anyone else noticed this???

I did a hard reboot (break pedal and both buttons on the steering wheel), but the problem remained on the return journey

I am on 2020.48.10

How can we get Tesla to recognise this and priorities a fix as it genuinly does not now feel safe to use

Thanks

I know there are plenty of threads on phantom breaking but having just done another motorway trip I believe that cruise control is no longer safe to use.

1) To share something I noticed to see if others have seen something similar, and to see if that helps 'whoever' to fix it.

On the outbound journey, every time I passed large lorry on my left it braked, on one occasion a white van was very close to going into the back of me.

I did notice that the on screen depiction of the lorries was very close, closer than they were in real life.

On approaching the next lorry (it was in the far left lane) I moved to the far right lane, to overtake it and no problem!

However, I noticed that while I was overtaking the lorry, its depiction on the screen moved from the far left lane to the middle lane and went red as I was overtaking (the lorry itself remained in the far left Lane). Having noticed this it happened quite a lot

I did a hard reboot (break pedal and both buttons on the steering wheel), but the problem remained on the return journey

I am on 2020.48.10

How can we get Tesla to recognise this and priorities a fix as it genuinly does not now feel safe to use

Thanks

Completely agree, I’ve stopped using it when not in lane 1.

Very disappointing and needs looked at by Tesla.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful

That sounds like an old issue. Basically, don't move into left lane if lorry in the vicinity, no matter what lane it is in. iirc @Pagemakers has a thread mentioning it in last 3 months or so, and it pre dated that. I'll see if I can find it,

[edit]Here you go Lane change bug

Last edited:
I have to agree. The Model 3 is the first car I've owned in the last 30 years where I've pretty much had to stop using cruise. It's just too unreliable, and at times downright scary, if not somewhat dangerous. Mind you, the car can do some scary stuff even when not using cruise. There's a road junction I drive past regularly, and roughly 50% of the time it will try and swerve the car into oncoming traffic, or apply the brakes hard, presumably because the car misinterprets something it's seeing at that location under certain lighting conditions. It only happens if there's a truck waiting to come out of the side road, never for cars waiting there. I get the feeling that many of the issues relate to the way the car interprets trucks and their proximity. It will sometimes throw a wobbly for cars, but it seems to be trucks, box vans and buses that cause many of the issues.

What’s making me lose faith is that the situation is getting worse over time instead of better. There’s no excuse considering other manufacturers have managed to succeed in delivering an effective TACC
That sounds like an old issue. Basically, don't move into left lane if lorry in the vicinity, no matter what lane it is in. iirc @Pagemakers has a thread mentioning it in last 3 months or so, and it pre dated that. I'll see if I can find it,

[edit]Here you go Lane change bug

thanks but I was not moving into the left Lane, just trying to drive straight on

• Informative
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
So not just me then

Clearly a software issue.....I hope.

I do understand some of the software is in beta but this is standard cruise control that I have had on three previous generations of cars ( from different manufacturers) and never had this issue

Is there a way to formally complain / get some support???

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
the phantom breaking seemed to have gotten better since 2019. back then on highway traveling the car in lane next to you get close to line, it will start breaking. haven't happened on highway travel, in the couple weeks I took ownership of my 2021.

But driving with cruise control on city streets I feel just have to be aware and ready to apply gas.

the phantom breaking seemed to have gotten better since 2019. back then on highway traveling the car in lane next to you get close to line, it will start breaking. haven't happened on highway travel, in the couple weeks I took ownership of my 2021.

But driving with cruise control on city streets I feel just have to be aware and ready to apply gas.

What we're talklng about here UK is a situation when you're cruising at 70mph and car slams the brakes on full. Average driver reaction time is 1.5 seconds (yeahm all Tesla drivers are F1 capable and totally focussed aren't they?). At 70mph you're doing 102 ft.second. You don't need to be a maths genius to figure out that a car following at 4 car lengths (or less), say 75feet has a good chance of ruinining everyone's day.
I've taken to defensive driving whereas AP is suppoed to be relaxing. If there's anyone within 250 feet of my car's back end I drop back to manual...

I am on 2020.48.10

Thanks

I’ve had this a fair few times now. Very frustrating given I do mainly Motorway miles.

it’s caused a problem a few times when I’ve had someone sitting off my bumper as they’ve clearly thought I’m brake checking then when actually it’s the car freaking out.

Reactions: Giri99