Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing! I've traded in with Tesla twice before and with 8% sales tax in Philly, I'd need competitors to exceed Tesla's value by at least that much to consider it. Plus it's another Tesla I'm trading in so under normal circumstances, I'd just stick with Tesla.

But these are far from normal times so I do need to do a couple other checks because why not. I'm down to save some bucks!
Definitely check! Tesla came in 7500 lower than CarMax for me ($5400 lower when you offset the 6% sale tax difference in MD).

When I ordered in July, Tesla offered 33k while CarMax offered 35k, so at that point I thought I’d not bother with the difference. But, now Tesla’s offer was 34.9k while CarMaxs was 42.4K, so I couldn’t justify my inclination to not bother 😅

A week and a half ago I was hunting for the best offer on my 2021 MYLR, Red/Black/Tow, with 20k miles, I had just put new rear tires on it.

Tesla offered $41k
Vroom $46.5k
Carmax $58k.

Can't explain it, but Carmax certainly got the deal at $11.5k better than the next closest. I only paid $56.5k last November and added the $1200 Tesla hitch after the initial purchase. Essentially got every penny out of it after 20k miles.

A week and a half ago I was hunting for the best offer on my 2021 MYLR, Red/Black/Tow, with 20k miles, I had just put new rear tires on it.

Tesla offered $41k
Vroom $46.5k
Carmax $58k.

Can't explain it, but Carmax certainly got the deal at $11.5k better than the next closest. I only paid $56.5k last November and added the $1200 Tesla hitch after the initial purchase. Essentially got every penny out of it after 20k miles.
My guess is CarMax has predictive models that take into account the global supply chain constraints and they foresee the market continuing to be nuts for longer than other players who’s models seem like they’ve been lagging behind. Vroom and Carvana have consistently given me values close to what CarMax gave me a few months earlier.

That plus CarMax just operates at a larger scale and can afford thinner margins, especially if it means chewing out supply for its upstart rivals.

Reactions: voxel and PatrickTM
My guess is CarMax has predictive models that take into account the global supply chain constraints and they foresee the market continuing to be nuts for longer than other players who’s models seem like they’ve been lagging behind. Vroom and Carvana have consistently given me values close to what CarMax gave me a few months earlier.

That plus CarMax just operates at a larger scale and can afford thinner margins, especially if it means chewing out supply for its upstart rivals.
Interestingly enough, they paid off my loan in 4 business days and the car has never shown up on their website.

The girl who took the pictures made some comment about how the guys who price their cars and run this store are all obsessed with Teslas and that most of them are sold in a day or two. Makes you wonder if someone who works there wanted the car. I can't imagine it wouldn't be on their website after nearly two weeks.

Reactions: GuardianMoon
Interestingly enough, they paid off my loan in 4 business days and the car has never shown up on their website.

The girl who took the pictures made some comment about how the guys who price their cars and run this store are all obsessed with Teslas and that most of them are sold in a day or two. Makes you wonder if someone who works there wanted the car. I can't imagine it wouldn't be on their website after nearly two weeks.
I wonder if they’ve got a waiting list for high demand cars that lets them sell immediately rather than list it?

Tesla offered $41k
Vroom $46.5k
Carmax $58k.

So you selling your 2021 MYLR to get MYP? Any particular reason?

Was waiting for some news out of the Chicago area. But this is not what I was hoping to hear...

MYLR5 | White/White | 19" Gemini | No tow | No FSD | OD: 7/16 | EDD: 10/15-11/04; 10/8-10/28; 10/09-10/29; 10/15-11/08; 10/25-11/28
This is from my sa:

Seeing the same on my end as well as the same timeline for others will similar order dates. The next Model Y that I have available, I’ll give you a call

I've been looking at Model Ys in Orlando and there was one on CarMax that was "prepped" so you could put it on a watch list but nothing could happen with it. Once it went live you could put a hold to test drive it. I looked at it for maybe 15minutes and it was SOLD. Serious. Folks are watching the cars and buying them once they go live. It was a red MYLR with 11K or something. $63K.

Does anyone know if I can easily increase the finance amount or is it going to hit my credit again? I’m realizing now that there’s a chance my check from CarMax won’t clear in time so I might need to put a smaller amount down and then pay off more later.

So you selling your 2021 MYLR to get MYP? Any particular reason?
The LR was nice, initially I told myself that I didn't need the additional acceleration of the Performance and also justified it by not wanting a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires. The factory continentals were very poor in partial ice so I ended up buying a set of winters anyway.

I had 20k miles on it and never thought I'd get that much for it, but had to check out of curiosity. Since I was effectively able to get out from the car gaining every penny back that I put into it, I made the jump. The Performance was obvious this time as the price difference was down to $7k (was $10k when I ordered the LR) and I already have the winter setup.

Fresh warranty, zero miles, more zoom, smaller payment (due to more equity this time).

I was planning to ask when I pick up on Saturday, but I was wondering if anyone here knows if you can transfer an order to someone else without losing the current EDD.

My parents now want to buy a MY and they want it before the end of the year so I was hoping I could transfer my original order to them. The snag is they live in FL while I live in MD so the pickup location would need to be changed as well.

I was planning to ask when I pick up on Saturday, but I was wondering if anyone here knows if you can transfer an order to someone else without losing the current EDD.

My parents now want to buy a MY and they want it before the end of the year so I was hoping I could transfer my original order to them. The snag is they live in FL while I live in MD so the pickup location would need to be changed as well.
I’d say you’re better off taking delivery and driving it down there and selling it to them.

Does anyone know if I can easily increase the finance amount or is it going to hit my credit again? I’m realizing now that there’s a chance my check from CarMax won’t clear in time so I might need to put a smaller amount down and then pay off more later.
Credit pulls usually last 14 days most times. So it shouldn’t result in a new inquiry.

I sold my 2019 M3 SR+ with 11K miles to Carvana in July. They offered $40K and I paid $41K + taxes. Carvana offered $38.5K. It took Carvana 4 weeks to put it on their website and it was listed as Sale Pending immediately. It just sat at their processing facility in Indiana. I kept it on my phone app and checked the location every day out of curiosity. I kept receiving notifications as they let the battery deplete to zero where it stayed for at least two weeks. Last week the car was at a Carvana store in Philly. Yesterday it was in Queens, NY.

Update from this Midwest July order. EDD has stayed at 11/4-24 since 9/24. Like the rest of you, I update the page many times per day. OD is 7/23. As of today, it’s been 90 days. I’m 14 days away from beginning of EDD. Reading all of your posts helps pass the time. Miss driving my M3. Inner peace…