Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work for Hyundai’s marketing agency and love the Kona Electric but like you say the supercharging network of Tesla is the huge appeal. I got to check out the new IONIQ 5 yesterday and I have to say If my delivery for my MY gets pushed to July I might just pick up the IONIQ 5.

I like their dash screens - I really prefer having a screen behind the wheel as well.

Reactions: Steezynickel
Make sure you don’t give up your NJ license, and hopefully still have your NJ address, for a few months. A friend of mine did that moving to CA last year and got burned. No tax in NJ of course but once the paperwork got to CA DMV she got hit with around $4,500 for sales tax.
In CA you are legally required to register your vehicle within 20 days, if you moved to CA, live/work/study/etc. in CA. So your friend likely decided to follow the law rather than risk lying to the State and potentially having to deal with legal issues or possible fines later. Not sure what Illinois laws say though.

Unfortunately for me the ID.4 won't work. Not enough towing power at 2.2k. That and it really worries me on the range. Any vehicle that tows you might as well cut the range in half and with 60+ less miles and no infrastructure around to make camper trailer trips easy, it was just a non-starter. But, I don't think many people are looking to tow a 3k camper trailer with an EV so my limited options are definitely a minority.

Even then though, I am disappointed in the current crop of EVs and range. Highway driving in the dead winter with the heater going against the wind and you might as well tank your range by 30-50% easily. Add battery degradation and a range buffer (not many people are going to drive their car to zero or 1-2 miles remaining) that 260 mile range ID.4 all the sudden has <100 miles of usable range. Compound against that "average trip" they try and tout when in reality you make numerous trips and side trips, kids soccer, grocery store, coffee, lunch, etc. and all the sudden your "one trip" is much longer than they say; it's extremely misleading.

This was just hard experience I learned. Tesla has great control over battery degradation, my 2013 model S @ over 100k miles when I sold only had 4%. My original Nissan leaf had 35% loss, battery replaced, and then 30% loss before sold on the second battery. Extremely terrible batteries.
When it comes to battery degradation, I'm extremely impressed with my current Hyundai Kona Electric.. Bought it new in June 2019 and drove already 51000 miles and most of my charging is DC fast (over 170 DC Fast charges so far) and the car still gets the same range than when I got it brand new, well above the factory rating of 258 miles per charge.. Around town, I get 350 miles (no kidding) with the AC off and about 320 miles with the AC on.. Highway is of course less but I can get close to 250 miles range with the AC off at 70 mph. Hyundai uses LG cells with high Cobalt.. Tesla is trying to get away from Cobalt but high cobalt is known to be very good to minimize degradation.. Tesla's "million mile battery" patent is actually high in cobalt. I don't know what the exact chemistry of the Tesla Panasonic battery is but based on what I read it is low in Cobalt. They are going with Nickel instead of Cobalt..

That’s interesting. There’s no way to tell how much of your paycheck it is. The only indicator would be if it is coming as a distribution from your employer, vs an ACH from another credit union/bank.

Direct deposit can take a month or so to switch over. Does it have to be there before you can get the .5% reduction?
You have 90 days to setup your account after loan approval. They will honor the lower rate until then.

Reactions: Emmadiane
Update on my order (NJ Paramus). White with everything standard.

Ordered 3/24 w/ 1-10 week target

Latest update is June 9 - 29

For context 10 weeks would be June 2

Can't be fun to be the sales/delivery employees at Tesla
You know your right. I ordered 3 days after you. I completely forgot it was already going to be 10 weeks. That really means we should be getting our cars soon. It’s been 1-10 weeks. I feel a lot better now. This has been a slow/fast 10 weeks

Hi fellow Marylander. I can tell you my DEM said I should just unmatch from my inventory car, which has the firmware issue and has been sitting at Rockville for 10 days. He said I’d be better off just ordering custom, so I did. Instead of the “5-7” delivery I was told with my inventory car, I am no back of the line with 4-11 weeks.
Sup buuuuddddyyy. So yeah my dates are gone. But at least ol blue is back on the page.
Curious, you think this firmware issue could be tied to the 4680 battery packs? Like they are secretly sending them out to see how they’ll do?

That’s interesting. There’s no way to tell how much of your paycheck it is. The only indicator would be if it is coming as a distribution from your employer, vs an ACH from another credit union/bank.

Direct deposit can take a month or so to switch over. Does it have to be there before you can get the .5% reduction?
When I talked to a loan officer about the direct deposit requirement yesterday, she said that they can estimate based off of your reported income. She also said that the estimate allows for some wiggle room, so 100% of your net paycheck/income doesn't need to be deposited after that 90-day grace period. But the specific threshold is not clear to the loan officers, because it's an automated system. I'm going to deposit my wife's smaller paycheck (she's a co-applicant) and slowly start depositing less and less until it triggers the loss of discount, then increase it again, haha.

Reactions: Emmadiane
Same config, ordered April 5th, picking up at Westmont: Current date range is June 18-30 (was 2-6 weeks for the last week, and June 16-30 the week before that).
I am following you and Anndybo. When both of you get your VINs, I will know that my VIN will get assigned soon too!
I am picking up at Highland Park. Haven’t really interacted much with my SA since he only says what I can already see on my account.

When I talked to a loan officer about the direct deposit requirement yesterday, she said that they can estimate based off of your reported income. She also said that the estimate allows for some wiggle room, so 100% of your net paycheck/income doesn't need to be deposited after that 90-day grace period. But the specific threshold is not clear to the loan officers, because it's an automated system. I'm going to deposit my wife's smaller paycheck (she's a co-applicant) and slowly start depositing less and less until it triggers the loss of discount, then increase it again, haha.
Its interesting because you can become a Plus Member before applying for the loan, which is what I am doing. And they never verified my income to open the checking account. So if I am a Plus Member, will they downgrade my membership if I apply for a car loan and not deposit my "full" pay?

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington
Interesting strat on the price increases.

I'm guessing it helps tesla in a couple ways.
1) Obviously it helps margins
2) With such a backlog in inventory, it probably helps them keep people from changing their orders since an order change would trigger a re-pricing event. There is probably some slight benefit that an already mfg'd car isn't re-released back to inventory to sell. With such a backlog of orders, I'm sure re-matching to an existing order probably isn't a big deal.
3) Potentially stops people from canceling their order since they are "sitting on a discount"
4) Prepares them IF there is an additional federal EV credit to "take" part of that benefit. As we've seen, if they were looking to stimulate demand if the additional EV credit doesn't go through, they could drop the price in the future.
5) Not sure if they want to lower the growth of the backlog, but I guess it would help with that

It is at least nice to know I'm sitting on a discount and didn't plan to change my order :)

Let me know how you like the ID4. We test drove it before the test driving the MY. I have thoughts about it, but don’t want to let any positive or negative thoughts permeate your test drive. Have fun!

Dont think we will. The stats make it a non starter vs the Y.

the biggest being no AWD yet-ao also have to order and wait. and the rwd cost being near what Im paying for the Y. it looks good with the light interior. But i dont get the "shut up and take my money" feeling I got from just looking at, and the hour driving the Tesla. The vw looks like a fat golf. Not a bad thing, but not a 45k dollar thing. You know?

Reactions: Cjacktesmy