Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice this with their model Y? At highway speeds with one or both rear windows open the car shakes like crazy almost as if it has a flat tire.

PS: I'm told it's normal. Maybe I can find a window configuration that makes it tolerable. My dog was not a fan of the car when it first arrived, seeing it as a threat to his "flock". It was hard to coax him inside. But rear windows down at highway speeds may have made him a big fan. I remember when I was first taking him around in my old car. It took about half a dozen trips before he figured out that it was fun to hold his head out the window.

Besides the vibration problem the car drives like a dream. I had one phantom braking incident on the highway when the pavement changed. Not much traffic here so it was no big deal. The car just eats up miles on the highway with the AP on most of the time. It feels like a new world is opening up for me.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice this with their model Y? At highway speeds with one or both rear windows open the car shakes like crazy almost as if it has a flat tire.
No, but I don't drive with the windows open: too much drag, too much noise, and too much dust/pollen. The cars are designed to be driven with windows closed for efficiency (too bad for fido.)

For the first two weeks after my 6/13 order, my EDD jumped all over the place - from June 27-30 to the non-specific September. For the last 4 or 5 days it has been holding steady at Aug 3 -Aug 23. I'm still 5 weeks from the beginning of that time frame. Advisor said she hoped we would get a VIN assigned in July.
Waiting is the hardest part......
You meet all the criteria to fit in well with group. We all share the pain, well, except for the guy that ordered an inventory car on a Friday and got it on Sunday in Fremont itself. His idea of waiting is not like many others here!

Thanks @maus92! In the past on long road trips I've found that my dogs love to stick their heads out the windows but they tire of it quickly at highway speeds so most of the driving is done with the windows closed. But the ability to have them get that rush even for a little while is key. I realize YMMVG.
Is your house all repowered now? 200A panel and a means to charge the new car?? You previously said that you would need to run extension cords through a window just to get 120V.

Reactions: BitJam
Is your house all repowered now? 200A panel and a means to charge the new car?? You previously said that you would need to run extension cords through a window just to get 120V.
Thanks for asking! I got a quote for this work on Monday (yesterday) which I accepted. Something like $2.4K for 100A and $2.9K for 200A. These prices include the 14-50 charger at the driveway. They have to bring in power from the street. I choose 200A since I will probably want to get central air installed at some point. They were optimistic about getting the work done this week. It depends on them getting the parts and materials. They seem legit. The guy who runs the company is a neighbor of the woman at the bank who helped me wire the money to Tesla. As a lark I asked her if she knew of a good electrician. They rewired her house and she highly recommends them. A similar thing happened when I got a new roof about 10 years ago. I found someone by word of mouth and they were great.

The car came fully charged (which was probably not a great idea). It still has 285 miles on it. If it gets low before my 14-50 charger is installed then I will try to use the charging station downtown which has two 6.6kW stalls/plugs (is that the right word?). It's mostly empty. Currently (haha) I'm not worried about charging.

Thanks for asking! I got a quote for this work on Monday (yesterday) which I accepted. Something like $2.4K for 100A and $2.9K for 200A. These prices include the 14-50 charger at the driveway. They have to bring in power from the street. I choose 200A since I will probably want to get central air installed at some point. They were optimistic about getting the work done this week. It depends on them getting the parts and materials. They seem legit. The guy who runs the company is a neighbor of the woman at the bank who helped me wire the money to Tesla. As a lark I asked her if she knew of a good electrician. They rewired her house and she highly recommends them. A similar thing happened when I got a new roof about 10 years ago. I found someone by word of mouth and they were great.

The car came fully charged (which was probably not a great idea). It still has 285 miles on it. If it gets low before my 14-50 charger is installed then I will try to use the charging station downtown which has two 6.6kW stalls/plugs (is that the right word?). It's mostly empty. Currently (haha) I'm not worried about charging.
Just plug it into regular outlet when not driving. That is what we did while waiting for electrician to install 14-50 NEMA outlet.

Just plug it into regular outlet when not driving. That is what we did while waiting for electrician to install 14-50 NEMA outlet.
Thanks! That was my original idea. But I'd have to run an extension cord through my house and run it out a window then seal off the gap. I'd also have to make sure I wasn't charging the car when my portable AC unit was on. I'm lazy so I figured I would avoid these hassles if possible. To put this in perspective, the car cost almost as much as the house and the land. The electrical in the house is pretty sketchy.

Sitting in the drive-thru picking up ghosts 😳 722D6842-1548-4917-8C68-AF923B94BA58.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E9ECA6D-B0AF-4FAA-A1CB-750A01E30312.jpeg
    5E9ECA6D-B0AF-4FAA-A1CB-750A01E30312.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 62
  • E01A997F-F15C-4931-8B2B-97B7FB3E56CC.jpeg
    E01A997F-F15C-4931-8B2B-97B7FB3E56CC.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 19E9C0B9-72AF-4A08-B520-6D139066B770.jpeg
    19E9C0B9-72AF-4A08-B520-6D139066B770.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 60

PS: I'm told it's normal. Maybe I can find a window configuration that makes it tolerable. My dog was not a fan of the car when it first arrived, seeing it as a threat to his "flock". It was hard to coax him inside. But rear windows down at highway speeds may have made him a big fan. I remember when I was first taking him around in my old car. It took about half a dozen trips before he figured out that it was fun to hold his head out the window.

Besides the vibration problem the car drives like a dream. I had one phantom braking incident on the highway when the pavement changed. Not much traffic here so it was no big deal. The car just eats up miles on the highway with the AP on most of the time. It feels like a new world is opening up for me.
Yes, I have the same issue on my Y. I also had it on my 2016 4Runner, but with that the rear window would roll down and alleviate the pressure.

I see this with almost all cars and cracking the front window seems to alleviate it.

This thread repeats itself every month or so for anyone who stays around.

The Y is NOT produced for non US markets right now except China and it’s produced in China for that market. Giga Berlin will produce for Europe and a couple of Ys creep out through various means, but the Y isn’t sold in other markets right now.

So with respect to production, the typical “no early Q delivery” doesn’t hold for the Y. It DID last quarter, but that’s because of the homologation containment hold due to no radar. July will likely see plenty of deliveries.

Regardless, we all know Tesla is most motivated at end of quarter.
Actually it is produced for the Canadian market, same cars out of California get sent up.

I just picked up my car last week off inventory after I ordered beginning of June and got pushed to Sept for EDD.

Reactions: BitJam
My apologies in advance for not searching other threads first but curious if you’ve heard any reports about Dashcam being nerfed on non-radar cars? My Sentry Mode is definitely not working but Dashcam is dodgy too - only recording some drives, not others, etc.
Someone may have answered already. I will check this as well. I don’t really pay much attention, and I just switched the Tesla flash drive for a Samsung SSD, so I will see what tomorrow brings.

This happens when you drive at a little fast and the back window/s are open with any car. Happens all the time when my kids Crack the window without warning me first.

But yes, all you have to do it open a front window and that annoying popping sound goes away

Reactions: BitJam and elguapo