Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the soft match date reflects? Our soft match is 9/12, but I’m unclear as to if that’s the day they are expecting our VIN to be stamped or if that’s supposed to be a possibility for delivery. I know it doesn’t mean anything really, I’m just curious now that we’re a week out from that date

You may end up with a 2022, if October. Not all bad!
Hah that's one way of looking at it! It also definitely helps having some frame of reference in mind. I probably won't check as religiously this week and next knowing what I know. :) and like you said, maybe a "2022" MY!

Does anyone know what the soft match date reflects? Our soft match is 9/12, but I’m unclear as to if that’s the day they are expecting our VIN to be stamped or if that’s supposed to be a possibility for delivery. I know it doesn’t mean anything really, I’m just curious now that we’re a week out from that date
My guess is vehicle built/VIN assigned, not delivery. But could be mistaken.

What’s a soft match?

Reactions: TatisJr
There is some debate, but many of us think it is a phrase some SA's use to provide a fictitious connection to a fictitious car to make those of us waiting feel some sense of hope. The claim is it's some kind of tentative assignment to an as yet unassigned (and perhaps not yet built) VIN.
It's a legitimate thing - the date provided might be some fictitious creation, but I've seen the report in person. The "soft match" appears to be a legitimate status on the report.

My guess is another equally flexible Tesla date for when the Tesla algorithm plans on matching you with a VIN.

Actually i think i got bumped to October since i told my SA I will be on vacation and wont be able to pick up the car.
I am on the same boat as both of you.

My EDD for delivery to NYC is still currently showing 9/18 - 9/30 but I expect it to change to 4Q at any moment since a week ago I stopped in a SC and spoke to an SA for a status update on my order since my assigned SA ignored my email request asking this same thing.

Well I was informed my profile completion date got reset to 7/11 and that was when I was placed in order queue, and they see on their end estimated time my car being built end of October for November delivery. Also mentioned the 7 seat is one of the main holdups. If what has been mentioned numerous times before is true of 7 seaters only being built in small batches it is safe to assume we missed the batch for Q3.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Hmm. After speaking with a SA in person, I’m expecting my EDD to shift. It’s currently 9/16 to 9/30. He was super friendly and checked the soft match system. It said I was soft matched to a vehicle and the soft date is early October.

He said it’s possible that I’m in EOQ rush, he also said that this was a good sign - seeing a soft match status.

He showed me the screen he was looking at. Fingers still crossed though. Shoutout to the SA though, he was super friendly and helpful! Not my actual SA - road tripped up to
Fingers crossed for you. My SA has given me 3 soft matches over the summer and each passed. Now I have a 10/1 date. I'm not holding my breath.

congrats, they told you during the weekend?
Right?! Maybe because of the holiday tomorrow? Not asking any questions, I’m just going with it. I’d be wherever, whenever they want me to be to pick my MY up! Looking forward to pleasant thoughts first thing in the morning, and not consumed by the Tesla app EDD all of the time.

I posted I got my VIN on 9/3. Here's an update.
Timeline:
  • OD: 5/7
  • 17 weeks of painful waiting
  • VIN date: 9/3
  • EDD Changed to 9/6 - 9/9
  • 9/5 (today): I got the message to schedule my delivery.
  • Scheduled delivery for 9/8 6pm. (It will be a two hour drive to get there.)
  • 🤞9/9 enjoy driving my new MY!
Congrats! That’s awesome! Thinking I might take a trip to the coast and enjoy the long anticipated MY this weekend!

Got them to unassign the VIN and put my reservation back on hold. So, someone else will get lucky and get a car!!!!
Did your SA explain the process when you had to have the VIN unassigned due to not being able to take delivery? It sounds like you put it on “hold” but are you planning to remove the hold after the holiday when you are able to take delivery?

I will be out of town at the end of the month which currently aligns with my EDD so I’m wondering what exactly happens if you’re unable to take delivery in their strict 3 day window. You're one of the few people who have actually been in this situation and isn’t just hypothesizing how Tesla will handle this situation (move you to back of the line, priority rematch you to a VIN once hold removed, etc. Any insight you have would be super helpful!

Reactions: PatrickTM