Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I was hoping my car would come in January so I might be eligible for the tax credit, if that gets passed. Is there a thread that explains the process and after-effects of delaying an order? It sounds like some people who had late January dates are getting assigned VINs/cars already. I'm concerned I might get bumped up too, i.e. before Jan 1st (my current EDD is 1/21 - 2/18) and I dont understand the ramifications of asking for a delay, e.g., where will you go in the queue to get a car, how long does it take before you get a new EDD? What other things might get screwed up in asking for a delay?

There is no reason to contact anyone unless you get a VIN and your date gets pulled in to December. If it does, don't mention the tax credit. All you need to say is that you will be out of town on holiday the last 3 weeks in december, your origional EDD was FEB 2022 and was not expected to conflict with you going away. Ask them if they can hold it until you return.

Just received this email from Tesla. Looks like what the guy said on the phone is accurate, they will cancel orders even if they are currently on hold, if it passes a certain amount of time. By my count, that amount of time looks to be exactly seven months. Tesla clearly does not want people to delay their orders in perpetuity, which makes 100% sense from a business standpoint, and I do not blame them for it.

I just blame Tesla for everything else :p

View attachment 736113
Received the same email with the same date. They had previously put the car on hold until January 1, 2022.

I'd been waiting on the car, MYP, for me no rush as I had already owned a MYLR, when the wife's car was totaled. In a panic I had to run out and find something right away. With zero dealer stock it wasn't fun. Came away with a 21 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Nice car!

Not two hours after paying for the Toyota, I receive the above email from Tesla.

I can afford, but hate having two car payments.

I'm debating on just getting the MYP now and selling it right away and use what little profit towards another one in the spring or to just cancel it now. My locked in price is $3k less than the present price. May not be worth the hassle.

There is no reason to contact anyone unless you get a VIN and your date gets pulled in to December. If it does, don't mention the tax credit. All you need to say is that you will be out of town on holiday the last 3 weeks in december, your origional EDD was FEB 2022 and was not expected to conflict with you going away. Ask them if they can hold it until you return.
Curious why you think SharkBite would need to lie to get the hold. I just told my SA I wanted it held until Jan 1, and it was done an hour later. No excuse required.

Curious why you think SharkBite would need to lie to get the hold. I just told my SA I wanted it held until Jan 1, and it was done an hour later. No excuse required.
Pepperoni, so what's happening to your order/car? Is you car built and they're holding it? Are you choosing to skip your car if it comes in and get back in a queue for some future undetermined delivery after Jan 1st?

Reactions: ArrogantSeeker
yes, $180 over 6 months. I have never received a ticket in 40 years, nor any claims, do defensive driving course, have a monitoring device in car. My credit rating is also good and I think credit scores also impact insurance premiums. For me the new premium is $40 more than my current insurance for a car costing the same amount.
Credit scores impacted insurance until this year, and now they can't be considered. Benefit to those on the low end, increases to those with stellar credit. Nice work on your driving record!!

Haha you’re funny! There’s no reason to dance around the issue. They’re not stupid, they can read the news regarding the potential for EV incentives as well as any customer can. Just tell them exactly what you want, and they’re (generally) very friendly and accommodating. They have no issues with delaying an order and reassigning the VIN to someone else, because they’re neck deep in waiting customers. Plenty of people willing and able (and have a real need) for a car ASAP, especially with holiday travel and road trips planned.

Received the same email with the same date. They had previously put the car on hold until January 1, 2022.

I'd been waiting on the car, MYP, for me no rush as I had already owned a MYLR, when the wife's car was totaled. In a panic I had to run out and find something right away. With zero dealer stock it wasn't fun. Came away with a 21 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Nice car!

Not two hours after paying for the Toyota, I receive the above email from Tesla.

I can afford, but hate having two car payments.

I'm debating on just getting the MYP now and selling it right away and use what little profit towards another one in the spring or to just cancel it now. My locked in price is $3k less than the present price. May not be worth the hassle.
Well, take a look at my next post after that one. Bottom line, I called Tesla, asked if they’re serious about cancelling my order, and yes, while they’re serious about cleaning up ancient orders, but they were very flexible to serious customers. They removed the cancellation rule on my account with the caveat that I email them back telling them I’m still interested in the car, just for documentation purposes. So they’re flexible and definitely willing to work with us.

Pepperoni, so what's happening to your order/car? Is you car built and they're holding it? Are you choosing to skip your car if it comes in and get back in a queue for some future undetermined delivery after Jan 1st?
I put my order on hold prior to receiving a VIN. My original EDD was in April, and then got pulled in to January. I didn’t want to be forced to accept the car in December so decided that the hold was the lowest stress option. There are some on this forum who believe that the wait time will be less if you wait for a VIN first before requesting the hold. This may be true, so could be a good strategy. There are also some reports of people having their orders automatically put on hold until Jan 1 if they reject their VIN, so Tesla may already be anticipating these holds. For me, it was easier just to request the hold now since I knew for certain I would not accept a car in December. Less to worry about. The only drawback is that there may be extra wait time when I rejoin the queue in January. Tesla does not put us at the back of the line (there is plenty of evidence for that on this forum) but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few months added to my wait time. I’m prepared for that in exchange for the possibility of a significant tax credit.

I think that if congress does sign this legeslation, Tesla is going to have a HOLD problem in december. ( if they don't already) . Holds in the past were very infrequent because of the demand so you could hold for any reason you wanted since the cars would still move to people willing to take delivery.

If deliveries start to stall in the last few weeks of december ( because of this credit) I can see Tesla changing its policy on holds . I would rather have a more legitimit sounding reason for a hold when this happens.

Owned the car 24 hours and already have an effing bolt in the tire. 😡😡😡😡

3646C89F-A3A4-4A97-824C-C14D38668753.jpeg

Delivery day is tomorrow . . . but my SA just called to inform me . . . it’s available for immediate pickup:)

Asked whether the MYP is missing any USB ports or mud flaps, the SA paused for a bit and confirmed they’re missing and that I’m on a list to have them installed when available.

Hopefully the car passes my inspection. Will find out in about 90 minutes. Thankfully the service center is less than 10 minutes away!

How does one get a SA? I placed the order online 9/15 and have not been contacted by any human, neither by phone or email.
It really depends on who that SA is. For me, I never once had a human reach out, I ordered online, and there was a robo call to confirm delivery, and automated text messages. I was able to get some useful information from the online chat, and occasionally by calling the local number (but i always got punted to the national call center). Your experience is unfortunately normal.