Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will save you about 80 dollars and possible time and frustration about 3 times in 10 years. Considering the number of posts i have seen with people locked out of their cars because of this, i think its slightly more than a nothing burger for a number of people.

If you compare it to a ICE car that you could jump start, the 12v in the Tesla is quite a bit more important if you consider getting stranded in a random parking lot in winter.
Not to mention that the 12V battery isn't as easily accessible as in most ICE cars which is why it ends up being a pain in the ass.

BTW, Tesla does not take the money out prior to your delivery. They just get Plaid access to the account and they can see the balance and it displays on the Plaid screen.
That makes sense. So in a way it's like a certified check--the money is 'ring fenced' electronically but not actually taken until you accept delivery. In fact, it sounds like that's precisely what it is, an electronic version of a certified check. I like that, that's good to know.

MYLR White/White/19" | FSD/Tow: No | Ordered: 9/15/21 | VIN: No | EDD: 1/25-2/24 - New Jersey

Any predictions? White on white may be the reason it is taking longer!
It’s been said in the past that there are certain color combinations that are not produced often and I believe white on white might be one of them. They produce very few of those combinations so if it’s not enough to go around, you get pushed out if you don’t make that batch.

This thread used to be very active few months back and it was easy to get close enough answers but you might be able to search and see references.

Reactions: boingolover
Thanks, that's good to know. I didn't know if I had to get something loaded on my phone ahead of time. Other than the app--which you need to have anyhow--I guess the answer is no. I'll probably do the same as you. You answered another question too, whether they'd take a cashier's check or certified check. I'm not sure people always know the difference.

I'm planning to make a $30K down payment; I wonder if I can do that much? Transfers have a daily limit, I don't know about a direct online payment like that.
Our down payment was above USAA's daily transfer limit and the ACH went through. YMMV. Probably worth a call to your bank just to be sure.

I received my VIN for MYLR today and completed the formalities Tesla wants done to "avoid delays" in the delivery of our cars. One was Plaid. I tried everything I could to enter my bank account details by not finding my bank. They have a horrible bank search function. I could not find capital one. I had to enter capital and then go through the whole list and finally find my bank. BTW, when I did not find my bank I tried to use "alternative" method and I absolutely could not find an option to just enter bank and routing number by excluding Plaid. The only 2 options are certified bank check or Wire transfer. I then went ahead with Plaid. I could however restrict plaid's access to only 1 bank account within my login. I had created another checking account to use to write checks and for Tesla. So this was good in that they can't dig into my 20 history of transactions with that bank. I also saw my bank has an ability to delete Plaid access. So once I take delivery, I am going to delete access to Plaid.
View attachment 753091
It's possible they no longer allow ACH. IIRC the option was only presented after I selected can't find my bank and then selected cancel. At that point I'm pretty sure it presented a page with ACH and routing. But it's been a minute and I have no way to step through since our order is complete.

EDIT here is a link that might either prove helpful ... or out of date :)

Our down payment was above USAA's daily transfer limit and the ACH went through. YMMV. Probably worth a call to your bank just to be sure.
I did and they said it would be fine. I was going to use USAA too, but that would have required 7 daily transfers limited to $5,000 to get it from Wells Fargo, where my brokerage account is, to my USAA checking. So I'm just going to do it directly from my WF checking, and I called them and they said it was no problem. And if worse comes to worst I can always pop into a WF bank for a cashier's check, couldn't do that with USAA.

It still hasn't 'materialized' in the checking account but I assume it'll be there by tomorrow. I still have an EDD of 18 - 24 Jan though so I should be fine.

Did you do your insurance via USAA too? As soon as I have a confirmed delivery date I'll pop online and have that added; I should be able to do that without even a phone call.

It's possible they no longer allow ACH. IIRC the option was only presented after I selected can't find my bank and then selected cancel. At that point I'm pretty sure it presented a page with ACH and routing. But it's been a minute and I have no way to step through since our order is complete.

EDIT here is a link that might either prove helpful ... or out of date :)

The ability to avoid Plaid and go through the bank account number/Routing number was the case until a month ago. In December some body did report that option is no more. I tried multiple times by putting fake bank names to get to ACH. But it leads to a dead end with only 2 options Bank check or wire transfer. Plaid does not want to be cut out of the process and has managed to block the escape hatch.

Did Fremont already stop shipping/building Model Y in anticipation of Giga Texas opening soon? Haven't seen one post of a new Fremont vin number recently.
yes, VIN's have fallen of the Cliff. I think they gave everyone a break last few days of December. I expect a flood of VINs by middle of this week. Below is from the MY tracker. 7th was the first day of this year when there were meaningful number of VIN's.

1641758350253.png

dumb question; how will tow equipped vehicles be positively or negatively impacted with the battery change?

Would people with tow package be having a slower delivery, or delayed delivery?
The lead acid battery only lasts about 2-3 years before you need to replace it . This is a standard car battery.

The LION replacement should last as long as the main batterypack so you shouldn't need to change it. It is also lighter.

The downside is that there is a compatibility problem with the tow package . I think Tesla announced that brake & signals for the trailer lights will not work initially but there will be a retrofit sometime in 2022 to address this problem

dumb question; how will tow equipped vehicles be positively or negatively impacted with the battery change?

Would people with tow package be having a slower delivery, or delayed delivery?
Sawyer Merrit on Twitter has said vehicles with tow and the new 12V battery will have trailer auxiliary disabled because it will need a voltage converter to go from 15V to 12V. Trailer lights will not be affected. Retrofits later in 2022.

BTW, Tesla does not take the money out prior to your delivery. They just get Plaid access to the account and they can see the balance and it displays on the Plaid screen.
This is inaccurate. Tesla took money out of my account the day after connecting plaid (and scheduling the delivery for the following Wednesday) and then cancelled my delivery because of weather. Been waiting ever since and Tesla has my cash.

Sawyer Merrit on Twitter has said vehicles with tow and the new 12V battery will have trailer auxiliary disabled because it will need a voltage converter to go from 15V to 12V. Trailer lights will not be affected. Retrofits later in 2022.

He also said none of the updates that can be retrofitted will be free…this one has to be right?

He also said none of the updates that can be retrofitted will be free…this one has to be right?
It should be. The retrofits he is referring to are the new battery and AMD Ryzen. Delivering a car with a feature disabled because of missing parts (think center console USB/wireless charging) needs to be fixed for free. Maybe Tesla started the Li-ion swap and realized the trailer thing after and that is why we haven't seen any reports of Li-ion batteries in recent deliveries.

Reactions: samori01