Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current non-Tesla owners who plan to buy a Model ≡ ; Have you test driven a Model S?

Current non Telsa owners planning to purchase model ≡ ; have you test driven a Model S?

• Yes

Votes: 102 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 62 37.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S 90D for the first time yesterday in Indy. It literally was the the most awesome experience in a vehicle I've had since I started driving. My wife has patiently been putting up with my "Teslasession" (Tesla obsession)for a while now. I've been talking around the house about how I really want to get a Model ≡, when it becomes available. She has always been like "that's great honey, sure, yep, zzz....." after yesterday... "WE HAVE TO GET ONE OF THOSE!". Kurt at the Indy store did a fantastic job walking us thru the vehicle. If the Model ≡ has similar options that behave similarly (which they should) this is going to be a new era in the auto world for everyone. So unfortunately for me, I just amplified what excitement I had for the 31st to a "whole notha level". If you have driven a Model S what has your experience been like?

I am in the same boat as you. My wife is a trooper listening to me but she needs to test drive one to fully understand "the feeling". I have been a Tesla investor and stalker for years but always kept my distance from actually driving one. That is until I started giving more serious consideration to replacing one of our vehicles with an electric. Since then I have made an effort to test drive all EVs available in my region, including the Model S. I was very clear with the Tesla sales team when I said I was not currently in the market for a Model S, rather a Model 3 (what I refer to as the gateway drug). But I still wanted to get the Tesla experience. Jon at the Eden Prairie, MN store never skipped a beat and spent ample time explaining all Tesla has to offer via a test drive and walk-through.

I was blown away (naturally) by not only the fit, finish and performance of the car but more so the software-centric focus of the design. I am a software architect so I was pretty excited to see the user experience up close and personal. The, dare I say, "future proofness" of this approach can easily make a Tesla a long term (8+ years) car for me. Obviously there is a lot of hype and speculation about the Model 3 and I, too am excited. While I am tempering my expectations around delivery schedules, tax credits, etc. I do plan on putting down a Model 3 reservation deposit next week. Then, like the rest of you, I will obsess over every single news article and Tesla blog post that mentions the Model 3. Or I will totally forget about it until I get the notification to configure my ride (not likely!).

I've also never driven a Tesla, nor an electric car, but I've been driven in a Prius taxi tho.

The public charging around us is poor and with no off street parking charging is an issue, so I've been waiting for a car with decent range that I could charge one a week at a public charger. The Model 3 seems perfect because I can drive the 15 miles to the nearest Supercharger once a week and have more than enough juice for a week or twos driving; and for free!

If the Leaf were a viable option I'd probably have bought one by now. Even the extended range Leaf won't really be a viable option for the longer runs I do away from reliable charging infrastructure.

Yes, someone I know had one (P90D) for a multi-day test drive. I drove it one of the days. I already have an EV, so the whole quiet driving, instant torque experience was not new, although the P90D was a whole different world of performance to be sure. To be honest, I thought the seat adjustments and air suspension/ride quality options, or lack thereof, were disappointing for that price point. It was also a larger car than I generally like to drive.

However, I'm not the target market for the S or X. Marquee, high dollar cars hold little appeal to me. I"d prefer to spend on travel, investments, or my home. The model 3 will be the first somewhat low-cost, high range BEV with a widespread charging network and an AWD option, and that's enough for me to be interested.

I have been driving a MB B-class electric drive for the past year and 9 months and I love it! This MB uses Tesla running gear (Batteries, motors, controllers) and is like driving through warm butter only faster. The powerful torque feels both magical and exhilarating and the scale of the B-class is just right for city traffic and parking. Our interest in the Model 3 is to replace our 2006 Prius. Can't wait until the 31st comes around so we can place our order.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I've raced cars at the amateur level, been in a variety of fast cars, and know people with insanely fast machines, but my drive in a P85D was a revelation. Nothing else compares, and my interest in traditional sports cars pretty much dropped to nothing after that hour in the Tesla. I sold my M3 and got a Leaf (which isn't a looker but is a great little car) to tide me over until my Model3 is ready.

Reactions: Grendal
Have been by the Santana Row store so. many. times. But have resisted on a test drive with the Model S so far. I know that it will make the wait for the Model 3 extremely hard. I have never experienced driving an electric before but I'll hold off until closer to the production date.

Hubby & I test drove an S. Loved it, so much fun to drive, autopilot is awesome, but I haven't been able to justify a car that costs so much, but I've been trying. Besides I prefer a more mid-size car. So many of the other EV's are too small. I hope the 3 isn't too bare basics in it's features. I'm ready to have less maintenance than an ICE car. We move often and Tesla is the only brand that offers a real range and the ability to drive cross country in a reasonable amount of time, which is essential for me. The cars with less than 100 mile range really only work if you live in the same place, only use it for daily commutes, and have an ICE car for long distance trips. Tesla is the only company that has supported their electric cars with building the supercharger network, the rest count on you charging at home. If we love the 3, I could see also replacing our gas guzzling SUV with an X.