Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck announce prices may actually happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not if you're buying ;) . TSLA just lowered prices for their "mass market products." Only question is whether the CT falls in that category

Tesla is making more 3/Y than the market wants. That won't be true for CT.

My guess is original price plus $10K for inflation plus another $5K to $10K because they can. This price level still represent good value

Tesla is making more 3/Y than the market wants. That won't be true for CT.

My guess is original price plus $10K for inflation plus another $5K to $10K because they can. This price level still represent good value
Model Y prices could have been raised based on demand, but they weren’t; came out close to announce prices. So I disagree, prices won’t go up ‘cause they can.’ There is no precedent. Plus, Elon has said he wants to build the CT even if it becomes a flop. Doubt he’ll risk it being a flop by pushing prices up.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
Model Y prices could have been raised based on demand, but they weren’t; came out close to announce prices. So I disagree, prices won’t go up ‘cause they can.’ There is no precedent. Plus, Elon has said he wants to build the CT even if it becomes a flop. Doubt he’ll risk it being a flop by pushing prices up.

Not true. The model Y could be purchased without much wait in Q4 2020. I know because I bought one. I didn't have a pre-production order. I vaguely remember Model Y LR prices ranged from $47-49K in 2020.

What's my wait if I order a CT nine months after production start?

I'm not confident of predicting any price for CT. But the price I expect is in a range that is a good business decision for Tesla.

So Elon basically put the final nail in the coffin on this, no?

Some points against it:

-Tesla did not submit the CT this year or next year to be eligible for tax credits.
-Elon said last year the prices wouldn't be the same.
-Last night Elon said this:
"we'll start production and handing over cars later this year, there will be an S-curve of production, and I guess we'll see what the demand is, we're likely to do a quarter million a year, maybe more, very much dependent on what the demand is like. We don't just need to ramp up production but improve production cost efficiency which is a very hard thing. We'll make as much as people want, but like I said it's going to be hard to make the cost affordable. In the grand scheme of things it will be small, but still very cool"

This is the first he's said, "it will be small" in regards to the company plan and questioned demand. I think it's going to be because of the price tag.

So Elon basically put the final nail in the coffin on this, no?

Some points against it:

-Tesla did not submit the CT this year or next year to be eligible for tax credits.
-Elon said last year the prices wouldn't be the same.

This is the first he's said, "it will be small" in regards to the company plan and questioned demand. I think it's going to be because of the price tag.
100% agree and have a feeling the dual motor CT will be ~$70K-$80K.

Cheap is relative... compared to original price no but compared to market yes...

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
Tesla will only ship one trim at first. We won't know the prices of the lower trims until much closer to the time when Tesla will start to deliver those.

Tesla will also not release range and other specs on the other trims until much closer to the times of delivery.

The initial trim will represent the top trim (even if there will be some even more expensive mega trim version in 5yrs' time). Quad motor drivetrain with large battery. IMO 4WS will be standard across all trims so that won't be an at-cost option.

The Plaid Model S has 97.8% of the range of the "long range" car. The Plaid Model X has 95.7% of the range of the "long range" car. If the long-range Cybertruck stays at EPA500 miles, which I think it will, I'm going to put the Quad-motor Cybertruck at 97.0% of that or 485 miles. Price will be $109,900 to start with, just to exploit the must-haves that can afford it, and this will fall to $99,900 when the second trim is announced... at $89,900. That will be the 500-mile dual motor truck. Later the shorter range dual motor will start deliveries at $59,900. I do think they will do a single motor truck simply to raise the affordability, but that would be $49,900 to start.

By the time all this is playing out, the role and the cost of robotaxi and FSD will be altering our discussions about vehicle prices. What was bad value at $50K may not seem so bad if you don't actually have to buy it, you just use someone else's when you need to haul stuff and ride around in a Model 3 the rest of the time.

Ermmm, Speculation Police are banging on my front door, apparently I'm under arrest

Tesla will only ship one trim at first. We won't know the prices of the lower trims until much closer to the time when Tesla will start to deliver those.

Tesla will also not release range and other specs on the other trims until much closer to the times of delivery.

The initial trim will represent the top trim (even if there will be some even more expensive mega trim version in 5yrs' time). Quad motor drivetrain with large battery. IMO 4WS will be standard across all trims so that won't be an at-cost option.

The Plaid Model S has 97.8% of the range of the "long range" car. The Plaid Model X has 95.7% of the range of the "long range" car. If the long-range Cybertruck stays at EPA500 miles, which I think it will, I'm going to put the Quad-motor Cybertruck at 97.0% of that or 485 miles. Price will be $109,900 to start with, just to exploit the must-haves that can afford it, and this will fall to $99,900 when the second trim is announced... at $89,900. That will be the 500-mile dual motor truck. Later the shorter range dual motor will start deliveries at $59,900. I do think they will do a single motor truck simply to raise the affordability, but that would be $49,900 to start.

By the time all this is playing out, the role and the cost of robotaxi and FSD will be altering our discussions about vehicle prices. What was bad value at $50K may not seem so bad if you don't actually have to buy it, you just use someone else's when you need to haul stuff and ride around in a Model 3 the rest of the time.

Ermmm, Speculation Police are banging on my front door, apparently I'm under arrest
Mentioning robotaxi sort of invalidates everything.

Tesla will only build 2 models maybe 3:
  1. Quad motor with ~450 miles of range, Price $115k
  2. Dual motor with ~350 miles of range, Price $69K (one of Elons favorite numbers...)
  3. Maybe a RWD with ~250 miles of range, Price $57K
Look at all the other models tesla offers, available in either 2 or 3 motor configurations.