Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck announce prices may actually happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will only ship one trim at first. We won't know the prices of the lower trims until much closer to the time when Tesla will start to deliver those.

Tesla will also not release range and other specs on the other trims until much closer to the times of delivery.

The initial trim will represent the top trim (even if there will be some even more expensive mega trim version in 5yrs' time). Quad motor drivetrain with large battery. IMO 4WS will be standard across all trims so that won't be an at-cost option.

The Plaid Model S has 97.8% of the range of the "long range" car. The Plaid Model X has 95.7% of the range of the "long range" car. If the long-range Cybertruck stays at EPA500 miles, which I think it will, I'm going to put the Quad-motor Cybertruck at 97.0% of that or 485 miles. Price will be $109,900 to start with, just to exploit the must-haves that can afford it, and this will fall to $99,900 when the second trim is announced... at $89,900. That will be the 500-mile dual motor truck. Later the shorter range dual motor will start deliveries at $59,900. I do think they will do a single motor truck simply to raise the affordability, but that would be $49,900 to start.

By the time all this is playing out, the role and the cost of robotaxi and FSD will be altering our discussions about vehicle prices. What was bad value at $50K may not seem so bad if you don't actually have to buy it, you just use someone else's when you need to haul stuff and ride around in a Model 3 the rest of the time.

Ermmm, Speculation Police are banging on my front door, apparently I'm under arrest
Remember these are 4680 with 15% less range than expected. 450 tops and that’s if they even build the quad motor. They dropped the plaid+ saying you didn’t need max range or speed. Look for the same with quad motor CT. They need to scale and make money so likely dual motor to start and build more costly complex models as you scale.

Reactions: Eric9610
Tesla will only build 2 models maybe 3:
  1. Quad motor with ~450 miles of range, Price $115k
  2. Dual motor with ~350 miles of range, Price $69K (one of Elons favorite numbers...)
  3. Maybe a RWD with ~250 miles of range, Price $57K
Look at all the other models tesla offers, available in either 2 or 3 motor configurations.

No way they will be able to sell 250K of the Cybertrucks if the prices aren't reasonable.

The prices will be on par, if not less, than the Ford F-150 Lightning. So $90'ishK for the highest trim and $60'ishK for the lowest trim.

Reactions: zecar
Model Y prices could have been raised based on demand, but they weren’t; came out close to announce prices. So I disagree, prices won’t go up ‘cause they can.’ There is no precedent. Plus, Elon has said he wants to build the CT even if it becomes a flop. Doubt he’ll risk it being a flop by pushing prices up.
Where have you been the last two years….

Reactions: zecar
No way they will be able to sell 250K of the Cybertrucks if the prices aren't reasonable.

The prices will be on par, if not less, than the Ford F-150 Lightning. So $90'ishK for the highest trim and $60'ishK for the lowest trim.
I agree. Given the subpar interior compared to the F150, the price would have to be well below the Lightning in order to compete. However there is also a certain Tesla fanboy base that will toss logic out the window and buy regardless. I could see the launch prices being high until that group is drained, and then lowering the price afterwards.

Reactions: KJD and vickh

Another reason I believe announce prices will be close to actual prices. Doesn’t make sense for Tesla to jack up prices on the CT if Elon is commenting Lightning prices are high after a price drop.

Attachments

• IMG_6092.jpeg
    IMG_6092.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: vickh
The SR CT will require the same amount or more 4680 batteries than the MY AWD and with therefore cost the same or more. So that’s at least $47,400. Not 39,900. Maybe after tax rebate but that’s not the vehicle cost Tesla is charging. I don’t think they’ll be under $50k.

The SR CT will require the same amount or more 4680 batteries than the MY AWD and with therefore cost the same or more. So that’s at least $47,400. Not 39,900. Maybe after tax rebate but that’s not the vehicle cost Tesla is charging. I don’t think they’ll be under $50k.
IIRC, the SR Y wasn’t available when the CT was announced, so IMO there isn’t a reasonable model to compare it to. Plus, I don’t think the SM CT will come out at launch or shortly after launch anyway.

The LR Y was 52k at announce and it’s 50.5k now. Yes the CT is coming out with additional features like 4WS, but advancements in manufacturing (gigs press, 48v low-voltage architecture) should offset building cost some. So IMO, a DM CT is very likely to come under 60k. Heck, a mid-tier XLT extended range Lightning is 70k. If Elon is calling the Lightning a bit expensive, then I think a DM CT will max at 65k.

IIRC, the SR Y wasn’t available when the CT was announced, so IMO there isn’t a reasonable model to compare it to. Plus, I don’t think the SM CT will come out at launch or shortly after launch anyway.

The LR Y was 52k at announce and it’s 50.5k now. Yes the CT is coming out with additional features like 4WS, but advancements in manufacturing (gigs press, 48v low-voltage architecture) should offset building cost some. So IMO, a DM CT is very likely to come under 60k. Heck, a mid-tier XLT extended range Lightning is 70k. If Elon is calling the Lightning a bit expensive, then I think a DM CT will max at 65k.
Sorry if my terminology was off. SR CT=SM CT.

As far as comparing, they will use the same motors and cells, the most expensive parts of the vehicle. Comparing vehicles with similar costs in these areas gives you good starting point. My point was the MY AWD 4680 pack with the SM RWD CT will probably be in the 250 mile range. Subtract a motor but a new vehicle that hasn’t scaled yet will be at least as expensive to produce if not more so put it at $50k at least although we won’t see it for a while. Dual motor means extra batteries and motor so add $10k to $60k then add at least $20k for the TM CT since it will have all the extra features. It will be interesting to see if 4WS is available on all trims or only the top one.

Remember these are 4680 with 15% less range than expected. 450 tops and that’s if they even build the quad motor. They dropped the plaid+ saying you didn’t need max range or speed. Look for the same with quad motor CT. They need to scale and make money so likely dual motor to start and build more costly complex models as you scale.
is that a fact, speculation or just your opinion?

That's what I thought. So, stop the nonsense claims, which are clearly unfounded, about 15% less of anything.
It sounds like you haven't followed the 4680 development at all. The Gen 1s had a lower energy density than the 2170s, the Gen 2s are about on par with the 2170s, but none are at the expectations of Battery day. Keep in mind that on par with a 2170 battery, despite being almost twice the size is still not great, but obviously making nice improvement.

Most believe that's the biggest reason the CT was delayed.

Tesla said the Cybercell (gen 2 4680) had a 10% higher energy density than Gen 1.

So clearly way off from this, but Elon said that making batteries is extremely hard.

1697632626214.png