Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cybertruck is going to fail ? I doubt it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This "truck" will not be something that businesses/companies will purchase for their fleet of maintenance type vehicles. I see this as a niche entry for nerds, geeks and freaks; anyone that desires to be different. (Nothing against the aforementioned; I'm a nerd/geek) :) A truck for a guy or gal that really can get by without one but, relish the idea that they can haul an easy chair or furniture from IKEA or the likes. I certainly don't see this as a true "utilitarian" vehicle. Different, durable, somewhat functional on the low side, weekend campsite vehicle, conversation piece and apocalyptic escape vehicle...yes. Tesla already has 200K+ reservations over the last 3 days. That says something.....

EDIT: If you're going to "disagree" with my "opinion" (and that's fine if you do) :)…..at least have the courtesy of stating "why", in your opinion, you "disagree". I'm truly interested in peoples thoughts.

Last edited:
OMG, every number in that video (except the last one) is flat out wrong.

Sorry, but by Q12018, Tesla sold way more than 14,742 Model Ss and 12,717 MX by a factor of at least 10.

They also completely ignore the fact that Model 3 had 232,000 preorders in two days.

upload_2019-11-25_18-50-48.png

This "truck" will not be something that businesses/companies will purchase for their fleet of maintenance type vehicles. I see this as a niche entry for nerds, geeks and freaks; anyone that desires to be different. (Nothing against the aforementioned; I'm a nerd/geek) :) A truck for a guy or gal that really can get by without one but, relish the idea that they can haul an easy chair or furniture from IKEA or the likes. I certainly don't see this as a true "utilitarian" vehicle. Different, durable, somewhat functional on the low side, weekend campsite vehicle, conversation piece and apocalyptic escape vehicle...yes. Tesla already has 200K+ reservations over the last 3 days. That says something.....

This is going to be a smashing hit. Can't dent it, cant hurt in a small wreck, HUGE range, amazing ground clearance, can't scratch, 7 powerwall capacity- with an external 240v outlet, you could run your house for 2 days on it...more if you don't need ac or heat. Can tow 14k lbs. Just an amazing set of stats.

This will redefine truck architecture forever and leaves Ford, GM and FCA very very exposed to failure.

The stainless steel will be bent not stamped in a huge press (savings in cost and time and capex), it has no paint..the most time consuming limiting aspect of current car manufacturing (savings in time, cost, and capex), it has more range than anything (other than another tesla), kids will love it, you can simply buff out or grind off any ding say goodbye to body shop visits. After this all cars are effectively dated.

Amazing vehicle from top to bottom and from end to end. That's why, ugly as it looks, there are 200k pre orders already. Give that 2 months and it will be 500k. I guess half will buy it. Why not ...same costs as a f250 setup to tow and no f'ing diesel to worry about.

This is going to be a smashing hit. Can't dent it, cant hurt in a small wreck, HUGE range, amazing ground clearance, can't scratch, 7 powerwall capacity- with an external 240v outlet, you could run your house for 2 days on it...more if you don't need ac or heat. Can tow 14k lbs. Just an amazing set of stats.

This will redefine truck architecture forever and leaves Ford, GM and FCA very very exposed to failure.

The stainless steel will be bent not stamped in a huge press (savings in cost and time and capex), it has no paint..the most time consuming limiting aspect of current car manufacturing (savings in time, cost, and capex), it has more range than anything (other than another tesla), kids will love it, you can simply buff out or grind off any ding say goodbye to body shop visits. After this all cars are effectively dated.

Amazing vehicle from top to bottom and from end to end. That's why, ugly as it looks, there are 200k pre orders already. Give that 2 months and it will be 500k. I guess half will buy it. Why not ...same costs as a f250 setup to tow and no f'ing diesel to worry about.
Fair enough. You order one?

based on that many pre orders it def ain’t gonna fail. That’s not even considering the features that make it better than any truck available for 90% of people who use trucks.

I see someone earlier say it won’t sell very well at all because it don’t have a winch. Since when does a winch have anything to do with buying a truck! I don’t think there is one factory truck that come with a winch!

How far can it tow 14K in all seasons? 300 miles? 400?

Have you ever worked with stainless steel? It is very difficult to work with once bent. And you can't "grind" out dents. With stainless you can't even "grind" out a scrape or scuff. The entire panel needs to be finished to original specs. Cheap to repair it is not.
Sure you could leave your stainless vehicle full of scuffs and dents and not visit a body shop, but you could do that with any vehicle. Body shops don't work on stainless panels for good reason. This vehicle will go to specialty shops only.
Unless you just leave it dented. And lots of working trucks are left like that.

Reactions: groovidad

Have you ever worked with stainless steel? It is very difficult to work with once bent. And you can't "grind" out dents. With stainless you can't even "grind" out a scrape or scuff. The entire panel needs to be finished to original specs. Cheap to repair it is not.
Sure you could leave your stainless vehicle full of scuffs and dents and not visit a body shop, but you could do that with any vehicle. Body shops don't work on stainless panels for good reason. This vehicle will go to specialty shops only.

Towing 14k probably cuts the 500 mile range down to 300 miles or fewer. It really depends on the shape of the load.

Reactions: nativewolf

Sure but this is not normal stainless it is much harder than that you'd normally work with, 30x- even a bit harder than the normal cold rolled hardest rated stainless. It is tough. Anything that is denting that truck is going ...well it is going to look pretty bad. Now I work in forestery and have lots of loggers. We bend 1" think hardened steel. That said, this is going to have a lot less issues than a carbon fiber based cars.

The reason body shops don't do stainless is that there is no stainless vehicle fleet. Now there will be. You can weld stainless. You can put a wheel on it. Unlike paint a dent or scratch won't cause rusting so no need to fix it if you don't want. No curved shapes either so virtually any body shop could fab up a new panel if you have the dimensions. No one has been brave enough to try it until now, delorean was ahead of his time just like the early ev cars.

Brave new world. The europeans have just been leapfrogged. Detroit has had a gauntlet thrown down. Japan..will just look irrelevant.

Towing 14k probably cuts the 500 mile range down to 300 miles or fewer. It really depends on the shape of the load.
I'd be safe and say half. 250 mile range and you'd have to charge deeply. For long tow projects (camper going cross country) this will be doable but slow. For local contractors, farmers, and forester ( me :) ) this is just fine...just fine.

based on that many pre orders it def ain’t gonna fail. That’s not even considering the features that make it better than any truck available for 90% of people who use trucks.

I see someone earlier say it won’t sell very well at all because it don’t have a winch. Since when does a winch have anything to do with buying a truck! I don’t think there is one factory truck that come with a winch!

Pre orders do not equate to sales.

And they need to sell at least half a million every year to be remotely competitive in the space. To keep things in perspective, Ford sells over a million F-150’s year over year.

Pre orders do not equate to sales.

And they need to sell at least half a million every year to be remotely competitive in the space. To keep things in perspective, Ford sells over a million F-150’s year over year.

Not 1 million for a long while. Ford is looking at 2021 or so for F-150 EV. Ford says they can produce 50,000 Mach-E in 2021 and are battery constrained go go beyond that. How are they going to get even more batteries for the F-150 EV? They aren't. So for awhile the only large scale EV truck will be the CyberTruck, Rivian, and maybe Workhorse (but they also say they are battery constrained).

Sure Ford may sell a lot of gas or diesel F-150s, but not EVs. And then again they may not. The BMW 3/4 was the target for the Model 3. And the 2018 sales figure for BMW 3/4 were 40% below where they were in 2015. Tesla may again be able to kill sales of competing brands.

Tesla will sell hundreds of thousands of Cybertrucks, obviously. Who cares whether it replaces conventional GM and/or Ford pickups? There's nothing wrong with carving out a new category. Sales are sales. And Tesla is perfectly capable of producing a pickup truck that will directly compete with the F-150 and Silverado and RAM. As well as vans and Suburban-style vehicles. In time, I expect Tesla will do precisely that.