Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are in the market for an EV pickup, and you are watching the expertise and long term consistency of the big players (Tesla, GM, Ford, Stellantis) would anyone really buy an $80K EV truck from a start up?
I’m not sure expertise at manufacturing ICE’s translates to expertise at manufacturing EV’s. All new design, all new maintenance (or lack thereof), OTA updates, direct sales and all new supply chains (and constraints) adds up to some major hurdles for the newbies: GM, Ford and Stellantis. I view the Legacy 3 as startups in this new world and I’m skeptical of their ability to stay relevant. They are already saddled with huge debt and can ill afford the incredible investments EV’s require. I’m going to skip their Version 1.0 and see if they can make the transition.

why would *ANYONE* buy an electric car from Tesla up until 2018/2019 ... yet plenty of people still did.
I just re-read this and it’s context…

I think in a nutshell, you bought a Tesla prior to 2018 or so because you believed in “The Mission” and felt that the gamble you were taking was worth the risk. If Tesla didn’t survive, the perception was electric vehicles might never gain traction. I think there was some truth to that, but it’s definitely debatable.

If Rivian doesn’t survive, “The Mission” is still secure. Electrification of vehicles is accelerating. Tesla, VW, Kia/ Hyundai will all push it forward even if the rest of legacy sits on their hands. Rivian doing well helps for sure, also I can totally see just wanting another auto company to succeed. There is enough momentum and they have enough cash.

Not my thing, but I’d far sooner spend $80k on a Rivian than on a GM LOL

I’m not sure expertise at manufacturing ICE’s translates to expertise at manufacturing EV’s. All new design, all new maintenance (or lack thereof), OTA updates, direct sales and all new supply chains (and constraints) adds up to some major hurdles for the newbies: GM, Ford and Stellantis. I view the Legacy 3 as startups in this new world and I’m skeptical of their ability to stay relevant. They are already saddled with huge debt and can ill afford the incredible investments EV’s require. I’m going to skip their Version 1.0 and see if they can make the transition.
what folks are missing with the R1T versus the Lightning (and potentially with the Cybertruck although i don't think we have seen final production measures) ... the R1T is noticeably shorter than the traditional full-size Lightning which matches the gasoline F150.

With the innovative tailgate and extendable bed the R1T *can* accommodate longer items when needed but for the other 99% of times it still fits comfortably into a residential garage. My old 2015 F150 *barely* fit into the garage with maybe an a few inches to spare. Not fun parking for sure and with Texas hailstorms leaving outside wasn't an option either.

So if you want a more compact EV truck there's literally no option aside from R1T in the foreseeable future...

I just re-read this and it’s context…

I think in a nutshell, you bought a Tesla prior to 2018 or so because you believed in “The Mission” and felt that the gamble you were taking was worth the risk. If Tesla didn’t survive, the perception was electric vehicles might never gain traction. I think there was some truth to that, but it’s definitely debatable.

If Rivian doesn’t survive, “The Mission” is still secure. Electrification of vehicles is accelerating. Tesla, VW, Kia/ Hyundai will all push it forward even if the rest of legacy sits on their hands. Rivian doing well helps for sure, also I can totally see just wanting another auto company to succeed. There is enough momentum and they have enough cash.

Not my thing, but I’d far sooner spend $80k on a Rivian than on a GM LOL
agreed. one thing to consider ... if Rivian is on the verge of failing and the market cap is cheap enough... you might see someone like VW just taking them over... VW has ZERO truck presence in North America and ZERO platforms suitable for an electric truck. Another potential buyer would be Toyota and using the Rivian platform for the Tacoma/Tundra EV. So either way it's unlikely the company would disappear and Amazon writing off their entire stake.

If Tesla didn’t survive, the perception was electric vehicles might never gain traction.
Yep, that was a risk we weren't willing to take.

None of the electric trucks have an 8 foot bed with the tailgate up.
Very few pickups (of any kind) today have an 8 ft bed with tailgate up. Since most truck drivers today really need a car, not a truck, they need a back seat for the rugrats. This doesn't leave room for an 8 ft bed so few have them today. The exception, of course is the ridiculously long trucks that won't even fit in a parking space.
I wish someone would make a compact EV pickup like my old Ford Ranger.

Very few pickups (of any kind) today have an 8 ft bed with tailgate up. Since most truck drivers today really need a car, not a truck, they need a back seat for the rugrats. This doesn't leave room for an 8 ft bed so few have them today. The exception, of course is the ridiculously long trucks that won't even fit in a parking space.
I wish someone would make a compact EV pickup like my old Ford Ranger.
Good timing

1648102485113.jpeg

Deep on the FUgLY and that back seat does't look adult worthy, but still interesting. Wonder what it'll cost? Of course on the Cybertruck forum we are experts on Fugly.

I’m buying the Cybertruck because I want something that seats 6 and has enclosed storage for bikes. The 6.5 foot bed (really with the overhang and stuff it’s more like 6 foot) is fine with me for the occassional hardware store trip.

Does the bed of the Rivian bed extend to 8 feet with the tailgate up?
no. but if you need a 8 feet bed with tailgate up you need to buy a longbed full size or HD truck. *NO* proposed EV truck offers such an obscenely long bed.
Most trucks sold are 5.5' beds because people want a large cab and still a vehicle being able to squeeze into a garage if needed.

the R1T with tailgate down offers a just under 7' bed ... which frankly should be plenty to haul dirt bikes and long items the handful of times you do

Everyone here missed the Chevy EValanche/Silverado EV. has the best feature from the good ole chevy avalanche.
mid gate that folds down to create a covered 9 foot bed as a crew cab. tonneau and back glass are removable to create a huuuge open bed.

if only it wasnt made by chevy.

edit: changed to 9ft from 8.

I wonder if we will see large numbers of ICE truck owners trading in their trucks on the RIVIAN or Lightening EVs

Seems safe to assume a significant percentage of R1T or Lightning buyers would own trucks and either trade them in or sell them.

Though I know a lot of Cybertruck reservation holders don't own trucks so maybe true of the Rivian and the Ford?

Not a ton of good large EVs out there so I could see people moving to a truck from a van or big SUV.

Seems safe to assume a significant percentage of R1T or Lightning buyers would own trucks and either trade them in or sell them.

Though I know a lot of Cybertruck reservation holders don't own trucks so maybe true of the Rivian and the Ford?

Not a ton of good large EVs out there so I could see people moving to a truck from a van or big SUV.

maybe from an SUV but definitely not from a van. the main advantage of a van is that it sits low like a sedan or sub compact SUV and loading the kids in/out is easy. same can't be said of a truck where even the standard version has a lot of ground clearance and sits high.

Everyone here missed the Chevy EValanche/Silverado EV. has the best feature from the good ole chevy avalanche.
mid gate that folds down to create a covered 9 foot bed as a crew cab. tonneau and back glass are removable to create a huuuge open bed.

if only it wasnt made by chevy.

edit: changed to 9ft from 8.
GM makes the most reliable vehicles, bar none.

Not only has this been my personal experience but I've also made aware of a large fleet customer, that had many units of every brand in the fleet, maintenance records and their data showed this to be true, by a large margin actually.

Maybe there are other reasons however that you don't like them. But if you want to just buy a vehicle and drive it for 300K+ miles without spending hardly any money, GM is your best bet.

maybe from an SUV but definitely not from a van. the main advantage of a van is that it sits low like a sedan or sub compact SUV and loading the kids in/out is easy. same can't be said of a truck where even the standard version has a lot of ground clearance and sits high.

Yes, from a van. It’s not particularly great replacement for a van, but if you want a EV capable of hauling bigger stuff and bulkier items, there just aren’t a lot of choices.

I could easily go with a van instead of the Cybertruck. In fact there are a lot of reasons it would be better for me.

Perhaps when the VW and the transit are on the market they will have enough range to be interesting, but until then, if you are moving anything even vaguely big and want it enclosed, one of the pickups or the R1S are the only choices for a few years.

Not exactly. I, for one, would love to see something like this:
Campervan.JPG

In an electric with about 300 miles of range.
I think you're confusing a van with a minivan.

Reactions: Zer0t