Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would absolutely love to hear Rivian has broken through their manufacturing blockers and was cranking out hundreds of trucks a week.

Please feel free to pop in when they’ve cracked it. There is plenty of room for both companies in this market.

Unlike you and your pals on the Rivian forum, I am not filled with hatred for the other guy.

If the Rivian were about $20k less expensive, this would be a really tough call. But $80k for a truck is just ridiculous.
I agree. It’s expensive

Seems good to recall that gas stations were once not so prevalent. Planning out a trip, based on distance to next station, was presumably a thing

My father used to tell us stories about his 1942 cross country trip from Wisconsin to Montana in a beat up old Chevy. The rule was to never leave a gas station until you called ahead to the next station to be sure they had fuel. Finding a station with fuel usually determined your route.

1942. That's just one lifetime ago.
Not that long since people were facing the same "not enough fuel stations" problem complained about by naysayers today. And at that time, people didn't otherwise have substantive availability of that fuel at home (110v is enough for daily runabout, 240v easy to get installed for most vehicle power needs).
110 is not enough. It’s amazing some people don’t get it. I dot hold it against you cause… well your dazed and confused. So it’s a medicsl situation

110 is not enough. It’s amazing some people don’t get it. I dot hold it against you cause… well your dazed and confused. So it’s a medicsl situation

My wife drove a Kia soul EV for 3 years on a lease. I put in a 240 charger for her. She liked the 120 better, and never had to wait for it to charge, ever. For the right situation 120 is fine. Myself, I really like the hundred amp charger (80 useful) that I can do with my dual charger model s!

A Kia. Lol.

Hey! Be nice now. She loved that little thing. Easy to maneuver and she can see out of it quite well. She hates the a pillars in all the teslas. No matter how much I try to talk to her about safety, she preferred the kia. We even test drove a model y, no go. She's waiting for the new Kia with long range. There are other cars in the world besides tesla. You and I may think that they have the best tech, whatever, but there are people who prefer other things. I believe it's okay for people to prefer something other than we do.

Drop the ad-hominems. They don't help your argument, actually they diminish it.

From experience, 110v is a functional bare minimum workable for the "<50 miles per day" contingent. Yes, you'll soon want 240v installed to alleviate range anxiety, and for any more traveling than "topped off every morning" you'll be looking for Superchargers en route.

Reactions: Ogre
An alternative way of looking at this for people who don’t own EVs yet is gasoline equivolents.

If you have 110v @ 15 amps, its roughly equal to someone putting 2 gallons of “gas” in your car every night.

110v @15 amps = 2 gallons
220v @15 amps = 4 gallons
220v @30 amps = 8 gallons
220v @60 amps = 16 gallons

Any day where the car/ Cybertruck is parked there all day doubles those numbers.

If you go through 50 gallons of gas a week in your truck, you are going to need 220v, likely at least 40 amps.

And Yes… I know this is deeply flawed. It’s just a rough idea.

Having spent quite a bit of time watching The waiting rooms for the refresh model S and now the model x I do wonder if there will be a delay even on next month's announcement of the cybertruck, let alone the unit itself.
“Wait Patiently for an update next month”… he said that almost a year ago once already.

Weird communication is more-or-less the nature of the beast with Tesla I’m afraid.

Reactions: KJD and TessP100D