Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangly weight tied to steering wheel to fool autopilot that you're paying attention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new solution was a 1 lb ankle weight (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P3LHGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), works perfect. I couldn't stand the new nag happy 8.0.

And to address all the other posts in this thread, it's completely safe. The nags don't actually need you to guide the wheel, they're just making sure you're paying attention, which I am. I just find the nags to be more distracting and being completely hands free is a better driving experience for me. More relaxed = less fatigue and more attentive for long road trips.

Now I can go 100+ miles without having to touch the wheel on routes that would've otherwise nagged me 30 times, and AP was flawless with no intervention. It actually let me gain a ton of confidence in how well the latest AP can perform. I'm still paying attention if I need to take over, but it's way better this way, and it's the experience I paid for when I got the car.

Just did a road trip on the southern route and it nagged me quite a bit on stretches where the road was very clear. I wouldn't go to say it was hundreds of time but definitely in thirties. It was about every 5 minute or so. But it seems to happen more often on I'm coming bends or what not.

This is on 8.0. 7.1 would never or hardly ask for the steering input. If the tesla is learning then I am all good. But if the next time I make this drive and it does similar amount of nagging, I will be looking for some weight like the OP to solve these nagging problem.

Seriously? The reason it has you put your hands on the wheel is because it doesn't know where to steer. If you hang something on the wheel, you'll just cause the car to leave the road and crash.

It doesn't nag you for nagging's sake. It needs to know where to steer the car.
@fallen888 in case you didn't notice, the post you disliked was written over a year ago and that's how autopilot worked at the time.

I was just thinking about this weight idea today. The nag doesn't really want you, or care if you, keep your hands on the wheel. It wants you to fight with the wheel to apply pressure so it knows you are paying attention. I do keep my hands on the wheel lightly so I can take over and it pesters me the entire drive. I agree keeping hands on the wheel is good (I don't trust autosteer), but I shouldn't have to fight with the wheel!

Reactions: randy1077
NOTE: This isn't a suggestion to do anything dangerous....

Can you tie a small weight to the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel so the autopilot thinks your hands are on the wheel?

This could be good for truly boring stretches of road where you don't want your hands to be lightly touching the wheel for 3 hours straight. Hands in the lap (palms up) ready to take over, but not hovering.
That is just about the most unsafe suggestion I have heard in this forum. It puts tons of people outside of your car in danger.

My new solution was a 1 lb ankle weight (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P3LHGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), works perfect. I couldn't stand the new nag happy 8.0.

And to address all the other posts in this thread, it's completely safe. The nags don't actually need you to guide the wheel, they're just making sure you're paying attention, which I am. I just find the nags to be more distracting and being completely hands free is a better driving experience for me. More relaxed = less fatigue and more attentive for long road trips.

Now I can go 100+ miles without having to touch the wheel on routes that would've otherwise nagged me 30 times, and AP was flawless with no intervention. It actually let me gain a ton of confidence in how well the latest AP can perform. I'm still paying attention if I need to take over, but it's way better this way, and it's the experience I paid for when I got the car.

Does it pull to the side without autosteer engaged?

Reactions: immolated
I was just thinking about this weight idea today. The nag doesn't really want you, or care if you, keep your hands on the wheel. It wants you to fight with the wheel to apply pressure so it knows you are paying attention. I do keep my hands on the wheel lightly so I can take over and it pesters me the entire drive. I agree keeping hands on the wheel is good (I don't trust autosteer), but I shouldn't have to fight with the wheel!

I've had the same experience. I've tried to change my grip with some success. What seemed to reduce, but not eliminate the nags even though I was holding the wheel is to put my hands on either side of the arm at the 6 o'clock position. Hands on top of that portion of the wheel (palms down at 6 o'clock). Was actually pretty comfortable and the weight of the hands "resisting" the minor lane corrections seemed to let the car know I still had my hands on the wheel, but not enough to even come close to disengaging AP. YMMV

I have to agree, this is just awful. It will lead to AP removal for us. I used AP from OC to fresno, very easy drive. Of course i kept my hands on the wheel, i've been driving for a long time. What was the difference, i wasn't gripping. And i drive in heavy traffic every day.

Not for me. There are times the AP should hand it back to me. It loses the lane boundaries and there is no car in front to follow. It actually will drift until I grab the wheel. It should be programmed to say "hey I can't see, grab the wheel!" I am always paying attention even though my hands aren't on the wheel.

I would never Velcro a water bottle to the three o'clock position on my steering wheel while on long boring 100 mile freeway stretches to defeat 8.0's frequent nagging. Never. Absolutely not. Don't do it. I would never admit it on a forum if I did. I have no idea if it works like a charm. Don't do it.
Absolutely. you said it. Why in the world would you admit it in a forum or even suggest it. For goodness sake. Kids read this.