Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SG57 I downloaded your app and paid the $.99 1-day option so that I could test drive. Can you help me understand this screen shot? As you can see, it shows a firmware update available so I immediately went out to my car and there was nothing there. Can I assume that the app just reports on when a new firmware update starts to rollout and not a notification that firmware has been pushed to my car that is ready to be installed?

Attachments

• Tesla Dashboard.png
    Tesla Dashboard.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: SG57
@theslimshadyist , thanks for your support and taking time to check it out!

Your assumptions are correct, the firmware update check the app performs is not possible using Tesla's APIs, instead I use a 3rd party service (made by @HankLloydRight ) users must opt into for recording purposes. The current threshold checks if at least 10 users have the new update, then an update is considered available. I have bumped that number up to 100 for the next release to better account for the staged rollouts it seems Tesla does with its firmware updates to better combat the false alarms.

-

All, I've completed smart charging v1.0 with some really neat features thanks to your guys' suggestions and it's being beta-tested as we speak. If all checks out, I'll be releasing an update very soon in a new post with release notes on a ton of improvements, bug fixes, and I threw in an optional setting for command confirmation prompting as well.

Sorry it has taken so long, "complicated business" :rolleyes: But I'm looking forward to my next endeavor - Automatic Behaviors - and I'll explain in full my plan after release to get your guys' feedback, and after that idea is realized then data logging will get the undevoted love it requires. Good things are on the horizon!

If you took a shine to these new features I've mentioned and you're interested in becoming a beta-tester for early-access and support, contact me in private.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: GTIceman
Your assumptions are correct, the firmware update check the app performs is not possible using Tesla's APIs, instead I use a 3rd party service (made by @HankLloydRight ) users must opt into for recording purposes. The current threshold checks if at least 10 users have the new update, then an update is considered available. I have bumped that number up to 100 for the next release to better account for the staged rollouts it seems Tesla does with its firmware updates to better combat the false alarms.

I think you should rethink this part.
The way the message is worded it is sounds like new firmware is available on my car. Even after a 100 reports, or any other random number, it will probably not be available to me.
Due to Tesla normally rolling out updates over long time periods, most of the time there will be a newer version reported, this means the message will be displayed most of the time and thus not being very useful.

What would be more useful perhaps is to reword the message to something like "New firmware reported on ev-fw.com". Perhaps even adding the version number. Then it would be clear what you are reporting, and you could also get rid of the threshold, displaying the message as soon as a new version is reported.

I really like the way you are going with this app, looking forward to automatic behaviours.
Keep it up!

Reactions: SG57 and GTIceman
I think you should rethink this part.
The way the message is worded it is sounds like new firmware is available on my car. Even after a 100 reports, or any other random number, it will probably not be available to me.
Due to Tesla normally rolling out updates over long time periods, most of the time there will be a newer version reported, this means the message will be displayed most of the time and thus not being very useful.

What would be more useful perhaps is to reword the message to something like "New firmware reported on ev-fw.com". Perhaps even adding the version number. Then it would be clear what you are reporting, and you could also get rid of the threshold, displaying the message as soon as a new version is reported.

I agree. There should be a clear distinction on whether a firmware is available in general or on my specific vehicle. I surely like the information but it could be tucked away in a less prominent spot, reserving the one it is on now for the actual firmware availability for the specific car.

Hey all,

Today I did a thing — I released my new app for Android, Dashboard for Tesla, on the Play Store.

screenshot1.jpg

Background

This project was conceived a few months back while waiting for the delivery of my Model S (which I now have and adore ♥). I was excited to learn I could be controlling my expensive new gadget from my phone. Like all new Tesla buyers stuck waiting, I spent many hours pouring over the details but ultimately felt let down by what Tesla's official app has to offer after their 4+ years.

There is immense potential laying dormant here, a state-of-the-art, always-on-and-connected vehicle should be fully exploited. We should be able to schedule automatic behaviors for a "smarter" Smart Preconditioning, monitor protect cabin temperatures from extreme cold and heat, configure alerts and notifications for everything from speeding to leaving the area, speed clocking with graphical analysis for 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, and log all vehicle data to our own local or remote databases for security and analysis purposes for tracking battery degradation or optimal performance.

The capacity is there, we just need an app that can do it. I figure since Tesla won't do it, I'll just do it.

Privacy

Your sensitive information is of our utmost concern and has been catered towards from the very beginning. Read our full privacy policy for complete details on what private data we collect and how we keep it extremely secured..

About Me

I'm a full-stack developer specializing in mobile development (particularly Android) and this project is the result of 3 months of my spare time. I'm driven by my own desire to do awesome things with my own Model S. I have amazing things in mind, I hope you stick around to see it :) You can find more information about me on my site.

Features
  • Complete Vehicle Monitoring
  • Complete Vehicle Control
    • Unlock/Lock
    • Keyless Start
    • Flash Lights
    • Honk Horn
    • Open Charge Port Door
    • Set Valet Mode w/ PIN
    • Reset Valet PIN
    • Summon
    • Homelink
    • Sun Roof
  • Complete Charging Control
  • Complete Climate Control
  • Real-Time Location & Speed Tracking
  • Speed Clocking w/ Graphical Analysis & Data Export Exclusive
  • Camper Mode w/ Battery Protection Exclusive
  • Cabin Temperature Protection Exclusive
  • Plug-In Reminder Exclusive
  • Data Logging ...coming soon!
  • Scheduled Behaviors ...coming soon!
  • Model S, Model X, & Model 3 Support
  • Complete Data Security - TLS & 256-bit AES Encryption
  • Lite Data Usage
  • Fingerprint Sign-In
  • Free Demo Mode
  • Android 4.1+ Support
  • 24/7 Support & Maintenance

Coming Soon
  • Data Logging - store all vehicle data around-the-clock to your own local or remote DB
  • Scheduled Behaviors - automatically send commands per your routine
  • Widgets - home screen shortcut controls
  • Smart Charging - more scheduling control of when and how you charge

Future
  • iOS Support

More Info

WebsiteForums

Privacy Policy

Play Store
(Free demo)
(Ask me for a 1-day full access promo code)

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg
Nice app! Wait for iOS!

@Veggen & @agw , I can see how that can be confusing, but due to the limitations of Tesla services I can never know when a new firmware is available on your car with absolute certainty. Currently you can see the new firmware version and its nickname if you touch the yellow information icon button.

I'll relocate the update message to the vehicle information dialog and reword it to make more sense. The vehicle information dialog is accessed from the Home view in the action bar as an information button icon.

Reactions: agw and MP3Mike
Seems to be a issue with the change reminder. I have the reminder set for 11:00 pm. For two nights I have received the not plugged in alert when the car was indeed plugged in. The Charge level set to standard (90%) and the car had finished charging before 11:00 pm both times.

Thanks,

@theslimshadyist , keep it up and I just might have to. ;-)

@MMC- , sorry for troubling you, that is actually a known issue I've had fixed for a while but haven't released an update for yet as I'm trying to finalize smart charging. The issue is because the charge state data returned does not necessarily return the correct charge state when waking up the car, so if it's asleep at your scheduled time it may return a disconnected state. I can actually get an update out later today with all the improvements I've made minus smart charging as that's still being tested and tweaked for best experience.. This next release has had its scope ever so slowly incrementing with each new suggestion , tweak, and bug fix. Sorry for the delay, thanks for your patience and support!

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I am picking up my Tesla Thursday the 22nd and am thrilled to see this application. I put a link to this thread in the Model X forum. I initially was tuned into it on the Closed Group Tesla Face Book page. I have been hoping some bright, energetic, Android coder would undertake the endeavor, although many have said "too much work." Great job @SG57 ! As soon as my new credit card arrives (fraud) I will purchase your app.

• Love
@beths11 , thanks for your kind words and support! If everybody subscribed to the "too much work" excuse there wouldn't be a Tesla in the first place. I'm motivated by the possibilities laying dormant here and I'm doing my best to tap into it out of my own need as well as others.

I hope the app lives up to your expectations, if not feel free to give feedback. Some of the best features in the app have come from suggestions from end-users.

-

All, sorry for the down period lately. I'm hard at work ironing out the remaining kinks with Smart charging that's in beta (as well as many other improvements and bug fixes over the past few weeks). The possibilities Smart Charging opens are one-of-a-kind right now and the results are promising. I've gotten value out of it personally and I'm hoping to have it ready soon, just need a little more time for reliability testing. Thanks for your patience.