Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Dashboard for Tesla - the better app for your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only stop a charge if YOU started it? (I suppose that doesn't cover you starting it and a scheduled charge starting one minute later [which you could not detect] that would have done something different to yours).

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Put a caveat the first time a user selects that option ... or the first time they use the APP ..."You acknowledge that a stopped charge may override a manual charge Blah Blah Blah" ... or charge a premium subscription for it if you want some active-feedback that the user has agreed to that option :p
What this guy said. The feature as it stands functions as described, knowing that it could begin charging before peak times are over, in order to do what you ordered it to do.

@1101011 , it's unreleased still so it's subject to change, but currently it supports adding any amount of smart charging "locations" and configuring each however you like (name them, enable/disable them, specify charge completion time, peak charging times, etc) and the charging will start automatically at that location any number of times during the day according to your options.

This is an extreme example, but you can add 3 smart charging locations and they all are the same location at your house, and have different options for each depending on the time of day. So you can have it ensure it's charged by 6 am while respecting peak charging times, noon without any peak times, and 6 pm. If your car's GPS is registering at your house, all 3's options will take effect automatically and by the nature of your configured times, only 1 will ever do something. I imagine people will only ever have 1 per charging location - such as home, work, etc.

@WannabeOwner , it's not so much stopping the charging that worries me, it's the inability to guarantee I'll start it again later, because if your device powers off, or you lose internet connection, I can't start it again for you and you'll come out the next day to an uncharged car and think wtf then realize oh you turned off wifi before bed :\ The best way to avoid that is to simply never stop charging... I could, as you say, include a disclaimer, or maybe even have that as an option for each smart charging location - "Allow stoppage of charging" with a disclaimer on it. I kind of like that actually. hmm

I'll be releasing more details and screenshots soon, maybe get a BETA to @supratachophobia to test it as well.

Reactions: 1101011
@GTIceman , thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it. I'll likely bring Founder's Access back as a short-term special around the holidays, hopefully by then we will have seen what Tesla's new mobile update has in store and what that means going forward.

That would be great. I certainly have no issues supporting your app, I think you know that, and will gladly continue to offer my wonderful comments ;). If Founder's Access comes back during the holidays, in the event you stop it for the next two weeks or so, then I will likely jump in. I really do want to see the Tesla app updates.

Reactions: SG57
For #3, If the car is done by the time close to your leaving the preheating of the battery is already accomplished. I understand that those of us that are paranoid about their batteries, don't ever want them at a high state of charge for any longer than necessary (I get it, I'm one of those people). But for this, we just need to let it go. I would also be hesitant to stop and start a charge cycle.

Good point here on pampering the battery by keeping it well below 90% That could be another reason for anyone to use that feature.

Per your bug, so you had a default vehicle saved already, you signed in, you saw the vehicle list load with your vehicle, it then auto-selected your vehicle for you, then encountered a server error and kicked you out? Or did you sign in, then immediately got kicked out due to a server error while the vehicle list loaded? If you can give me your repro steps I'll see what I can do. It will only ever kick you out to the sign-in screen if its getting a 401 unauthorized response from Tesla's APIs when not expecting it.

Good news here...car was in service and they had turned Remote Access OFF. However a good opportunity to trap the generic server error and instead display what the official app does which is "Remote access is turned off".

Daily Commute leave home usually at 6:30 AM, so cannot use all Off-Peak anyway, and if I come home at 10% I need to start charging before Midnight to get to 80% - 90% by the normal depart time. Car is set to schedule-charge at midnight, so I have to (currently) remember to manually start the charge in the evening ... doesn't work well if I fall asleep in front of the TV!

In that case, you would not even want to set the allowed times. All you would do is to schedule the car to be ready at 6:30 AM.
It would not matter how early or late or how low on battery you come home, the smart charge would start as soon as needed to be ready by 6:30. That is the first and utmost priority.

I'll likely bring Founder's Access back as a short-term special around the holidays, hopefully by then we will have seen what Tesla's new mobile update has in store and what that means going forward.
ost: 1850979, member: 50711"]@supratachophobia , complicated indeed. So you think #3 is over kill? Or at least shouldn't hold up release of the others anyway. What are your thoughts about this sample scenario:

Probably overkill at this time but nice to have later.

@agw , I like the use case you've put together there! So incredibly helpful, you have no idea after over a week of smart charging on the mind, that takes a load off.

Thank you, glad it helped.

Sorry your initial experience with the app is so.. undesirable haha. I can't help it if Tesla's services behave unexpectedly though, assuming this IS on Tesla's end (I'd rather it be on my end so I can fix it!). Let me know if you run into any other issues of course, and I'll want your feedback on Smart charging here soon once I implement your ideas.[/QUOTE]

Well, not your fault but if I did not get Founder price I demand all additional features to be included to my login!!! (no really, that would be nice :) )

I really want to see what Elon has in store for the App update to go along with 8.1. At the same time I don't want to miss the Founder Access here. I don't need this app as the official generally works well for me, especially since the removal of the sunroof full control functionality.

I spoke to JB twice about it and while he said it would be easy, it has not come to fruition.

I do think @SG57 has done a phenomenal job so far and I look forward to all the future improvements. Looking forward to UI improvements as we go as well. I think Remote S has come a long way and looks fantastic and Dashboard is off to a great start.

SG57 Has done a phenomenal job indeed. Not only is far superior to the official app but it is comparable or better than Remote S plus it combines the features of Power Tools!

it's not so much stopping the charging that worries me, it's the inability to guarantee I'll start it again later, because if your device powers off, or you lose internet connection

Understood. From my perspective I would always favour charging during off-peak, but if I wasn't setting off until noon and wanted 100% I'd do the 90%-to-100% shortly before I left. I can see the sense in charging late and wanting a warm battery when leaving too.

I had also considered that 100% charge is a variable-time beast, depending on the time to balance the cells. That last-little-bit takes a variable amount of time, for me, and I wonder how important it is? Perhaps I only gain a couple of miles range after the readout gets to 100%, but it can take half an hour or more to finish. I don't know if stopping during that time is bad? because balancing hasn't finished. In terms of Range (i.e. I set 100% because I am about to start a road trip) I don't suppose it matters, but I think it would make "finish at 100%" prediction hard. But I haven't studied it closely, so maybe its not the a problem that needs a solution!!

... then realize oh you turned off wifi before bed :\

:D

If I choose "start as late as possible" I might still have insufficient charge, because of a power cut, which would have been avoided if I had started the charge earlier. There is lots that CAN go wrong ... in my case I'd just "take the other car", and curse of course.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Understood. From my perspective I would always favour charging during off-peak, but if I wasn't setting off until noon and wanted 100% I'd do the 90%-to-100% shortly before I left. I can see the sense in charging late and wanting a warm battery when leaving too.

I had also considered that 100% charge is a variable-time beast, depending on the time to balance the cells. That last-little-bit takes a variable amount of time, for me, and I wonder how important it is? Perhaps I only gain a couple of miles range after the readout gets to 100%, but it can take half an hour or more to finish. I don't know if stopping during that time is bad? because balancing hasn't finished. In terms of Range (i.e. I set 100% because I am about to start a road trip) I don't suppose it matters, but I think it would make "finish at 100%" prediction hard. But I haven't studied it closely, so maybe its not the a problem that needs a solution!!

:D

If I choose "start as late as possible" I might still have insufficient charge, because of a power cut, which would have been avoided if I had started the charge earlier. There is lots that CAN go wrong ... in my case I'd just "take the other car", and curse of course.
I think I understand, you are saying because that last 3-5% doesn't follow the current charge rate algorithm, it could potentially take longer to get those just few presents?

If that's the case, I would suggest either ignoring it and assuming it will be close to 100, or program in the algorithm that the last 5% is charge rate in min x 2, or 3, or whatever.

On second thought, the off peak time definition may be superfluous in the very simple and most common case where one simply wants the car to be ready at the very last minute. All you'd need to do is to set it for the end of the Off Peak period.
Knowing when Off Peak starts would only be useful for those who want to start the charge as soon as possible to prevent any short charges deriving from power outages and yet make best use of the Off Peak rates.

Another way to accomplish that would be to simply allow multiple scheduling as in:
1) Get the car ready at 80% by starting at the beginning of Off Peak
2) Get the car to 90% by the end of Off peak (This would not even need to be that smart since the SOC would be static)

Another option but with some questionable efficiency set the desired charge level and the time but have the algorithm start a few hours earlier and as 80% is approaching, throttle the AMP down to arrive at a full charge by the desired time.

@SG57 maybe you should just deliver the first and main option and then run a poll to see what the next step (if any) should be.

@SG57 one quick note on possibly adding a confirmation prompt for certain actions like opening the sunroof or unlocking the car. I accidentally did that while toying with app and it was raining....then the app was returning an error "invalid state" so I went to the official app to close the sunroof. Probably just a timing issue but better be sure with a prompt in my opinion.

@SG57 one quick note on possibly adding a confirmation prompt for certain actions like opening the sunroof or unlocking the car. I accidentally did that while toying with app and it was raining....then the app was returning an error "invalid state" so I went to the official app to close the sunroof. Probably just a timing issue but better be sure with a prompt in my opinion.

I actually like there is no prompt. I hate that the official app asks me am I sure I want to unlock the doors. Yes damnit I pressed the button lol

@agw , personally I am not a fan of the prompts for actions same as @GTIceman , however I can add that in and make it a setting you can toggle on so those who want it can still have it if they so choose.

As for the sunroof, I understand the current release does not support the new restriction Tesla's placed on their APIs limiting sun roof commands to only closing and venting. The current build in development has been updated to take this into account, but for the time being you should always be able to go to the Controls view and click-and-drag the sun roof slider to Vented or Closed. Attempting to slide it anywhere else will return the invalid state from Tesla's servers, same with clicking the sun roof button/icon on the Home view (which cycles between 4 states, 2 of which Tesla removed recently).

As for the sunroof being open in bad weather, that is already on the list for a new feature, Automatic Behaviors, here after Smart charging is done. My idea is you can have any number of behaviors where a behavior is a list of commands, and each behavior can have any number of conditions based on date & time, or the current weather, or the state of the vehicle (like charge percentage). This effectively allows you to create an automatic behavior so if the current weather has precipitation, then close the sun roof. Of course you can add other conditions as well to fine tune it how you'd like. Some of my best use cases for it will be scheduling the HVAC system to turn on according to my routine work schedule Monday-Friday at 9 AM and at 5 PM.

But before I get to that awesomeness I'm just wrapping up smart charging awesomeness, I should have it complete tonight or tomorrow. It's pretty involved, sorry it's taking so long. I'll contact you in private about BETA testing.

@supratachophobia , I would LOVE if the media player was exposed over the APIs, I would like to remotely turn on and control my music before I get to the car. Do you have a source for that media player app control information? If it's in the app but not being used, I can dig around and try to find it. If it's Asia-only, I'll try downloading the Asian APK and dig around in that one perhaps.

Reactions: GTIceman
I actually like there is no prompt. I hate that the official app asks me am I sure I want to unlock the doors. Yes damnit I pressed the button lol
I hear you, I did too!! Until I pressed the sunroof and it opened up while it was raining :(
That is when I changed my mind but I don't want to be a drag so let the community and, most importantly, SG57 decide.

@agw , personally I am not a fan of the prompts for actions same as @GTIceman , however I can add that in and make it a setting you can toggle on so those who want it can still have it if they so choose.

I like option but in spite me asking, I would choose no prompt :)

As for the sunroof, I understand the current release does not support the new restriction Tesla's placed on their APIs limiting sun roof commands to only closing and venting. The current build in development has been updated to take this into account, but for the time being you should always be able to go to the Controls view and click-and-drag the sun roof slider to Vented or Closed. Attempting to slide it anywhere else will return the invalid state from Tesla's servers, same with clicking the sun roof button/icon on the Home view (which cycles between 4 states, 2 of which Tesla removed recently).

Understood. I guess if I had pressed one more time it would have worked.

As for the sunroof being open in bad weather, that is already on the list for a new feature, Automatic Behaviors, here after Smart charging is done. My idea is you can have any number of behaviors where a behavior is a list of commands, and each behavior can have any number of conditions based on date & time, or the current weather, or the state of the vehicle (like charge percentage). This effectively allows you to create an automatic behavior so if the current weather has precipitation, then close the sun roof. Of course you can add other conditions as well to fine tune it how you'd like. Some of my best use cases for it will be scheduling the HVAC system to turn on according to my routine work schedule Monday-Friday at 9 AM and at 5 PM.

That is indeed geaklandia but as you said let's complete the Smart charging phase 1 first.

But before I get to that awesomeness I'm just wrapping up smart charging awesomeness, I should have it complete tonight or tomorrow. It's pretty involved, sorry it's taking so long. I'll contact you in private about BETA testing.

PM sent.

@supratachophobia , I would LOVE if the media player was exposed over the APIs, I would like to remotely turn on and control my music before I get to the car. Do you have a source for that media player app control information? If it's in the app but not being used, I can dig around and try to find it. If it's Asia-only, I'll try downloading the Asian APK and dig around in that one perhaps.