Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 1 with my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First road trip!

Ok, just posting for the fun of it. Anyone who already has an MS will probably think nothing of this post, but for a newbie like me it was a blast.

Took the car on a camping trip this weekend. It was 200 miles (almost exactly) to the campsite and I decided to play it extra safe. I started on a 90% charge of ~237 rated miles and stopped at the Hawthorne supercharger about 120 miles away.

Supercharging is pretty freaking awesome. There were two other cars charging (one spot was ICEd by a Porsche?). I do wish there were food options, this meant we stopped twice instead of once. Chatted with the other owners and added 85 miles in no time. Model X mockup was fun to see.

Made it to the campsite with plenty of range remaining. Charging there was free, J1772 hook up, but away from our campsite so the car was left to charge overnight.

I averaged 305wh per mile for the round trip, so rated range was almost spot-on. I realize it's just a couple $ of free electricity, but I remember someone posting in another thread about how satisfying a free charge is, and he was right. I guess after getting used to throwing $50-60 into a gas pump every week, a free charge feels as good as finding a couple twenties on the ground.

In hindsight, if I were to do the trip again I'd range charge at home and drive straight to the campsite, skipping the supercharger on the way up. For the return trip, I'd probably do a 80-90% charge at the campsite and still stop at Hawthorne (or San Juan Capistrano when it comes online) just because I wouldn't want the car to sit at 100% charge for a long time -- timing the charge while camping wouldn't have been easy to plan without sucking up the EV parking space for too long.

Only mishap of the entire trip: as I was plugging into the EV spot at the campsite, a couple people were watching and remarking on what I assumed was the awesomeness of my ride. Well, my ego was deflated pretty quickly when one of them came up and asked me in all seriousness, "Is that a Hyundai Genesis?"

Whoa. Hawthorne SuperCharger ICEd by a Porsche!? Hawthorne isn't just any ol' SuperCharger, it's a Tesla facility and home of SpaceX. Shoulda gotten a photo.

Hmm. I checked my phone and I sort of have a photo. I took a photo of my car charging, and by chance you can see a sliver of the red Porsche two spots behind mine. I've marked it up in Photoshop with a yellow arrow pointing at the offender:

iced.jpg

The facility was open. I'm guessing if an MS needed the spot the owner could've been located to move it, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Took delivery today! Super nice people at the service center in San Diego and the delivery walk through was lots of fun. I think they follow these forums, so thanks again to everyone.

The car was in pristine condition, detailed and shiny and charged up. The walk through was excellent; there are so many little features and customizations. The paperwork and lessons took about an hour, then it was time to break it in. Random tidbits from the day (sorry, no photos, I'll have to follow up):

Thanks for the great write-up Crispix. I am about 2 weeks away from my day 1 (I guess that makes me about day -15) and so am living vicariously through other's posts. Thanks! Now after reading your's, I am even more impatient. ;-)

Yup, get tested all the time by BMWs, Mercs (I usually do well against most of them even in my 60) and just today, a big fiery-sounding red pickup truck (whom I smoked before letting off as he seemed to have little regard for a 35 mph zone).

Don't know why they seem to be out to try to prove something. Not worth any bad consequences.

Congrats, Crispix! Enjoy.

actually will admit i would "race cars" first week but a better tact is to just go the speed limit and let them try to prove something. they look pretty stupid racing someone who wont play