Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead pedal - dead in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. i would love to see a retrofit of the older dead pedal cover on a 2020 model.

As long as we can know where exactly, and how much of the existing carpet to remove, I think that’ll be a great start to this problem.
Also, the Tesla part number to the pedal cover would be much appreciated too.

I bought a sport pedal set from Amazon that included the dead pedal like the one in #44 (Aluminum Alloy Foot Pedal for Tesla Model 3 Accelerator Gas Fuel Brake Peda X6L5 | eBay), only to find out that my 2020 doesn't have a plastic piece to tape it to.

Is there a way to just drill two holes and screw a plastic "base" to which to tape the dead pedal insert?

I wouldn't be comfortable cutting the carpet, but I could drill two holes in the right place and screw a plastic "base".

I have successfully added in the missing dead pedal that Tesla took away from all 2020 model 3 owners. The hardest part was sourcing the actual dead pedal. I ended up just messaging several different sellers on eBay who were selling the drivers side carpet liner, which has the dead pedal to see if they would agree to sell me the dead pedal by itself. One of them agreed and I was able to get it that way.

after receiving it I used cardboard and made a template of where the attachment points go on the carpet and used a carpet knife from Home Depot to cut out the carpet using the template I made.

Attachments

• 5A3445D9-EF77-4F9E-881B-1EE68EED9F26.jpeg
    5A3445D9-EF77-4F9E-881B-1EE68EED9F26.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 342
Anyone come out with a metal / AL / sport dead pedal for 2020?
Or do you need to 1st replace the missing plastic dead pedal from a 2019, then put a cover on it?

You could just place the aluminum dead petal on the carpet with the double-sided tape that it often comes with, but it is not ideal. To do it properly you need to purchase the hard foam piece that goes under the dead petal. You also need to cut out a piece of carpet. I had the service center do it. Too bad they got rid of the stock dead petal.

I have successfully added in the missing dead pedal that Tesla took away from all 2020 model 3 owners. The hardest part was sourcing the actual dead pedal. I ended up just messaging several different sellers on eBay who were selling the drivers side carpet liner, which has the dead pedal to see if they would agree to sell me the dead pedal by itself. One of them agreed and I was able to get it that way.

after receiving it I used cardboard and made a template of where the attachment points go on the carpet and used a carpet knife from Home Depot to cut out the carpet using the template I made.

Do you remember (or have it noted) the seller on eBay from which you got the plastic dead pedal? I would love to do exactly what you did.

The dead pedal from that link is a solid piece aluminum piece, and has double-sided tape along the entire back. I took industrial strength loop velcro and stuck it onto the entire back side of the dead pedal, and it sticks onto the carpet and is rock solid and doesn't move.

I've had it like this for the past month now without any issues on my 2020 SR+, using "2019 spec" floor mats.

Mats-1.jpg

Reactions: XLR82XS
Thanks for this. Does the dead pedal come with the rubber strips showing through the aluminum? How would you say it matches with the stock pedals?

Thank you!
It matches these pedals perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNP6C22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bought them for the 2019 and before I knew what the 2020 dead pedal looked like. (I have 1 of the first 2020MY)

The rubber strips do not "show through" since this is a solid piece. Strips are attached.

Nice! I'm using 2019-spec floor mats in my 2020 SR as well.

I'm just waiting on the matte finish 3 pedal set from RPM to be back in stock. I ordered back on March 4th when they had just gone on back order. Unfortunately, pedals for my Model 3 are not on the list of essential businesses so it is taking them longer than usual to fill my order (totally understandable). The last time I checked with them it sounded like they should be available soon.