Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding to Delay Delivery until Battery Day

If you're due to receive your MY between now and Sep 21 - are you thinking of pushing to after 9/22?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a good point, however, how do we even know if there is anything better in the next couple of months. It is all rumors and speculation. Let say the new feature is the the single piece casting, who is to say there is even a noticeable benefit to the owner. You don't actually see it.

I think everyone is assuming there will be something better in a month or so, but who knows. Why not wait 2 months, or 3 months, or 6 months, there is potentially something better. And in the end you still don't have a Tesla :(

Just to get 2021 model instead 2020 is the reason to wait.
Nothing else.
Imagine selling your car in 3 years from now and someone will say " good thing its not 2020,first year of production with many problems".

Nothing else.
Imagine selling your car in 3 years from now and someone will say " good thing its not 2020,first year of production with many problems".

That's one thing I find interesting, whenever I look at purchasing a vehicle, the last thing I think about is selling it before I even purchased it. You do have a point though,if you don't plan on keeping it long, then buying the newest year possible is the best choice.

Tesla's are an interesting beast, all the Tesla models seem to have pros and cons every year. Why buy a Model S/X pre HW 2.0, or a Model S/X pre 2018 when MCU2 came out, or a Model 3 2020 or newer that didn't include the side dimming mirrors, etc.

I would ask her to explain the Model 3 2020s that were built and delivered in Oct/Nov 2019. Either she is willfully dishonest, isn't aware because she wasn't with tesla then, or was with tesla and just lives under a rock or different planet.
It appears that in late 2019 Tesla started referring to inventory model 3's as 2020's not sure if the VIN s changed from "H" to "I" 2020
Anyone know? The date of manufacture on the door post vs "model year" in the VIN will tell you.

Nothing else.
Getting a 2020 AWD delivered hopefully next week which will mean my LR RWD on order will be a 2021.
At my age resale values will be my kids problem...

• Love
Reactions: BlindPass
I don’t think any battery announcement will affect model 3 or Y (S and x are still using the older 18650 batteries) in the short term. However it might make me get a lease instead of purchase if it looks like a significant battery breakthrough which would likely get to m3 or Y in 3 years.

How do you know 2021 model will be released in one month? not being sarcastic but genuinely curious.

I actually talked to a SA yesterday and he said that there was only one time that Tesla made December deliveries to be the next year's model. He's not sure if they'll do it again this year though. I'm having a similar dilemma as well as my delivery date is this Saturday, but I really want to wait until battery day to see what's coming up before taking delivery. If they mention a battery breakthrough in half a year I might just wait a bit. The only thing is my current car lease is expiring next month so I'll have to figure out a car situation if I choose to delay delivery until next year.

Reactions: 907XCP
I actually talked to a SA yesterday and he said that there was only one time that Tesla made December deliveries to be the next year's model. He's not sure if they'll do it again this year though. I'm having a similar dilemma as well as my delivery date is this Saturday, but I really want to wait until battery day to see what's coming up before taking delivery. If they mention a battery breakthrough in half a year I might just wait a bit. The only thing is my current car lease is expiring next month so I'll have to figure out a car situation if I choose to delay delivery until next year.
In the same boat but mine is the issues with the white paint, I deferred delivery till Oct/Nov because I wanted to wait till Battery Day but it will likely not matter as I do not expect anything substantial to be added to Model Ys anytime soon. But If 2021 models coming out next month then I would rather wait but its been hard since selling our 3 a month ago.

I don’t understand the way people think of 2021 cars with Tesla. Unlike legacy car makers they start 2021’s in September let’s say. Tesla just does changes throughout the production, and a 2021 doesn’t exist till January 1, 2021 build date.

am I just wrong in thinking that?

I don’t understand the way people think of 2021 cars with Tesla. Unlike legacy car makers they start 2021’s in September let’s say. Tesla just does changes throughout the production, and a 2021 doesn’t exist till January 1, 2021 build date.

Try to sell Model 3 2018 and 2019. It is $6000 difference at least. Just because of model year. Waiting 1-2 months and get that difference in $$$ is smart move. Now its different story what Tesla fan boys are going to tell you. Im just telling you facts

That was the right way in thinking, then last year Tesla started delivering 2020 model 3s in late Oct/Nov of 2019... that's where that comes from. We will know shortly if that will be the case for the Y as well. I think it will and Nov cars will be 2021, as flip flopping like that would certainly raise Qs.

Furthermore, Musk mentioned 7seater prob in 4th Q and on the site it says 2021 so makes sense they will be delivering 2021s in 4th quarter.

Reactions: 907XCP

My preference for a 2021 Model is not feature related but rather the number on registration, it helps in resale value even a little bit down the line so that is why I would rather wait one month if that's the case but if it is not then I would just pull the trigger.