Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a really, really large thread with a HUGE amount of information. Would it not be beneficial to have a Googly Document to record everyone's mileage/current range/last time range charged/how often rang charged/climate/etc???

I think this is a fabulous idea (maybe one that's been brought up before) but I loved that document in the thread about deliveries, really gives you an appreciation of all the aggregate information. Tesla has all our numbers, but it would be nice to take a step back and see everyone's numbers that aren't buried in piles of pages of threads. I can figure out how to start this Doc if you guys like. I would or someone could also add a section to update their current range, going forward.
I just threw together a Googly form where people can submit data and it's automatically formatted into a spreadsheet: Tesla range
I'm just trying it out and don't really intend to use it for serious data collection (yet), but I can give anyone else access to edit if they want to turn it into something awesome. I think it would be great if the delivery doc used a form so Alain doesn't need to keep updating it manually.

I just threw together a Googly form where people can submit data and it's automatically formatted into a spreadsheet: Tesla range
I'm just trying it out and don't really intend to use it for serious data collection (yet), but I can give anyone else access to edit if they want to turn it into something awesome. I think it would be great if the delivery doc used a form so Alain doesn't need to keep updating it manually.
Cool! Thank you for this.. Overall this is a very good first stab at a form for this purpose. I think this will be invaluable. If I may, I'd like to make some suggestions for more consistent data... (sorry it's the DBA architect in me that compels my suggestions) :)

General: Use dropdowns whenever possible to drive discreet values, and make sure that you're capturing only numeric data whenever possible. text and numeric should never be combined into a single field..
1. Range charge frequency: have a drop down with day, week, month, year and allow the input box to accept numeric only.
2. Typical charge rate: Perhaps have two boxes where one can put # of amps and # of volts separately, so that they are stored in numeric only discreet values.
3. (optional): It might make it way too confusing, but you could add a dropdown for rated/ideal for all the areas you allow those types of inputs. Many have noted the formula for ideal has never changed however rated has changed several times over various firmwares, making it a less consistent data point across firmware versions... although, I'll admit I never look at ideal but would switch temporarily to gather data for a form like this

Cool! Thank you for this.. Overall this is a very good first stab at a form for this purpose. I think this will be invaluable. If I may, I'd like to make some suggestions for more consistent data... (sorry it's the DBA architect in me that compels my suggestions) :)

General: Use dropdowns whenever possible to drive discreet values, and make sure that you're capturing only numeric data whenever possible. text and numeric should never be combined into a single field..
1. Range charge frequency: have a drop down with day, week, month, year and allow the input box to accept numeric only.
2. Typical charge rate: Perhaps have two boxes where one can put # of amps and # of volts separately, so that they are stored in numeric only discreet values.
3. (optional): It might make it way too confusing, but you could add a dropdown for rated/ideal for all the areas you allow those types of inputs. Many have noted the formula for ideal has never changed however rated has changed several times over various firmwares, making it a less consistent data point across firmware versions... although, I'll admit I never look at ideal but would switch temporarily to gather data for a form like this
Unless I'm missing something, I can't combine dropdown and text input in a single question, but I did what I could to implement your ideas. Thanks!

Ok so I ran my battery down on my road trip several times to single digit miles and did full range charges. Have had some miles return. 229 on 90% and 255 on 100% with range mode on. Have a pretty good idea of my drivable KWH now. Drove to one mile rated and I had used 72 KWH on the dot. So following the rod and Barbara graph, if accurate, I have lost about 5% in 14 months This is assuming I should have had 75.9 KWH total at new available for range charge. The zero mile being 5.1 KWH, if accurate , still chaffs me as I would love access to that. Seems crazy to have that much buffer. Anyway, will continue to charge 90% and see. Not happy about 5% lost but I'm hoping this is the "big drop" others have assumed would happen in early life. If the next year brings a similar drop, I'm going to have to be that annoying customer to Tesla and demand some answers as this is not an acceptable rate of decline for long term use.

I maintain this a my single most, and really only annoyance with the company thus far. The guidance about how use, charge, maintain and monitor the battery is completely absent. I hate that it is regarding such a vital component.

For now, I'm going to follow my total KWH and ditch the rated number. Wish this was provided by Tesla but since is not, may need to run the car down low occasionally to see where it is.

I maintain this a my single most, and really only annoyance with the company thus far. The guidance about how use, charge, maintain and monitor the battery is completely absent. I hate that it is regarding such a vital component.

But it's not "completely absent".

From the manual:

The most important way to preserve the Battery is to
LEAVE YOUR MODEL S PLUGGED IN when
you are not using it. This is particularly
important if you are not planning to drive
Model S for several weeks. When plugged in,
Model S wakes up when needed to
automatically maintain a charge level that
maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
There is no advantage to waiting until the
Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact,
the Battery performs best when charged
regularly.

and:

You can charge to any level from 50% to 100%. For daily
driving, charge between 50% and 90% to
improve battery longevity. Charge above
90% for trips requiring maximum range.

It's simple, really.

Now we here might be interested in more detail, explanations of balancing mechanisms, discussion of range estimation algorithms, etc... but I suspect we are a significant minority of the general car-owning population. If anything, the pains folks will go through here to try to second guess the algorithms, force battery balancing, etc... just indicate the level of "interest" in the matter that would make the eyes of the average Joe just glaze over.

Thus, even though we might like a nice whitepaper discussing all the BMS nuances, it's not really accurate to say guidance about how to use and charge the battery is absent. It is present and at the appropriate level for the majority if the car buying population.

Last edited:
Ok so I ran my battery down on my road trip several times to single digit miles and did full range charges. Have had some miles return. 229 on 90% and 255 on 100% with range mode on. Have a pretty good idea of my drivable KWH now. Drove to one mile rated and I had used 72 KWH on the dot. So following the rod and Barbara graph, if accurate, I have lost about 5% in 14 months This is assuming I should have had 75.9 KWH total at new available for range charge. The zero mile being 5.1 KWH, if accurate , still chaffs me as I would love access to that. Seems crazy to have that much buffer. Anyway, will continue to charge 90% and see. Not happy about 5% lost but I'm hoping this is the "big drop" others have assumed would happen in early life. If the next year brings a similar drop, I'm going to have to be that annoying customer to Tesla and demand some answers as this is not an acceptable rate of decline for long term use.

For now, I'm going to follow my total KWH and ditch the rated number. Wish this was provided by Tesla but since is not, may need to run the car down low occasionally to see where it is.

Since you didn't drive the car past zero, and are relying solely on the range estimate. There very well could have been another 3-4 kWh of energy that the algorithm was not accounting for and that could have been utilized past zero. Once you did that, the algorithm would have probably added those miles back into the range estimate at your next charge.

If I maintained a google doc with maybe a help of a few others on the board, do you think I should make a separate thread about it? To start from scratch?
Yes. And pm with mods to try to make sticky. And lobby with a bunch of prolific contributors to urge them to participate--others will follow. Also make sure there's an easy way to add updated range info, as you'll want many data points per car over time to understand correlations. Talk to jeff miller who did this for lifetime wh/mi data collection and analysis. Pm me if this doesn't make sense.

Yep. And I'm back up to 218 @ 90% over the last two days. I do seem to have plateaued there. I was seeing 214-215 @ 90% after reverting to 90% charging (from 70% daily) about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

My car got as low as 218 at ~9300 miles at 90% but with 90% charges has moved up to 223. Still not good but better than 218 I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Similar # here now at 24 k miles. Drop off is most initially then evens out. It's not linear.

The drop off in some cases does not even off. Sometimes it accelerates. 265 range new to 258 range in 1/2014 to to 250 after replacement to 240 range now. That is not leveling off.

The drop off in some cases does not even off. Sometimes it accelerates. 265 range new to 258 range in 1/2014 to to 250 after replacement to 240 range now. That is not leveling off.
wish those with reconditioned replacements would compare notes. Maybe it's my imagination but reconditioned packs seem to have dropoff. Confess too lazy to reread this thread and find the data

My car got as low as 218 at ~9300 miles at 90% but with 90% charges has moved up to 223. Still not good but better than 218 I guess.

These are my exact numbers as well. For the last few months 218 was my maximum charge at 90%. Lately I have been charging ONLY to 90% and it has crept up to 223 but seems to have leveled out there. My last range charge was one week ago and I got 247 - with normal mileage drop as soon as I started driving.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Just doing the math here, at 100% you're at 240, at 90% you're now at 223 (which is 92.4%). Doesn't quite align and I don't know why. I'm asking because I'm also at 222-223 on a 90% charge and hit 248 on a range charge. That's with 25k on an original 'A' pack delivered in Apr 2013.

Checking in - at 57600 miles on P85. My 90% charge is 229. Haven't range charged in a long time.

nunedusy.jpg