Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definite Guide: Find out if you have HW3.0 or HW2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Record some Sentry or TeslaCam video. Take the drive to a computer, look at the video. AP2.5 will record videos in H264/AVC. AP3 records in H265/HEVC.

The hardware for AP2.5 isn't able to handle H265 at useful framerates, so this should be reliable on any firmware version.

how do you tell the codec on a PC? I wish tesla would stream over wifi instead of usb

9/19 build date on my LRP :) Mine was in inventory as a basic autopilot, so I added FSD as an option during the sale. I was told I had HW3 but the TeslaCam videos were using H.264 encoding. So I pulled the cover and YES I have HW3- p# is 1462554-00-H. I think the codec used is dependent on the software version. I have software 2019.27.103 566b11d - not the version that other people seem to have with HW3. Don't know what that means as far as functionality, except I noticed that Summon only allowed 40 feet. Guess I have to wait for an update....

9/19 build date on my LRP :) Mine was in inventory as a basic autopilot, so I added FSD as an option during the sale. I was told I had HW3 but the TeslaCam videos were using H.264 encoding. So I pulled the cover and YES I have HW3- p# is 1462554-00-H. I think the codec used is dependent on the software version. I have software 2019.27.103 566b11d - not the version that other people seem to have with HW3. Don't know what that means as far as functionality, except I noticed that Summon only allowed 40 feet. Guess I have to wait for an update....

Yup. A few weeks after we figured out all this codec stuff, Tesla switched all the cars to H264 with 2019.28 firmware; I have been told some folks were having problems with stuttering on H265 that might have been the reason.

I've just checked my newly delivered M3P, production date is July 2019 and the sticker seems to indicate HW3. However, the partnumber on the casing and especially the date stamped on there is really confusing. Is the date and partnumber just for the casing itself?

(See this thread for all details)

1.jpg

Yup. A few weeks after we figured out all this codec stuff, Tesla switched all the cars to H264 with 2019.28 firmware; I have been told some folks were having problems with stuttering on H265 that might have been the reason.
Yes, they changed it. Only way of knowing is with the parts number. But is Tesla still using old HW2 hardware?

By the way, I also had issues with 265, stuttering, artifacts and missed clips. Not sure if it was the stick, but I doubt it.