Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No horsing around with GM, they announced their latest delay. No 2016 Chevrolet Volt for most of the nation.

2016 Chevy Volt Availability Delayed | GM Authority

Unfortunately, the article didn't mention the cause of the delay. Rumour has it, the 2nd row seats are the reason. ;-)

Seriously though, the fact that Chevy is doing a partial 2016 roll-out speaks volumes to me. Are they feeling the pressure to get this vehicle out there ASAP (because of Tesla) or have they done this type of thing before?

No horsing around with GM, they announced their latest delay. No 2016 Chevrolet Volt for most of the nation.
2016 Chevy Volt Availability Delayed | GM Authority
The "model year" concept is such a joke. That article says, quote: "GM spokesperson, Kevin Kelly, delivered the official statement saying: Chevrolet has a shortened model year for the 2016 Chevy Volt that will have a limited distribution network. The 2016 Volt will be sold in our strongest EREV markets. The 2017 Chevrolet Volt will begin production early this spring and will be available throughout the country."
It's not even 2016 yet and GM is already talking about the 2017 model year Volt starting production in the spring of 2016.
I am so glad that Tesla does not use model years.

Unfortunately, the article didn't mention the cause of the delay. Rumour has it, the 2nd row seats are the reason. ;-)
Seriously though, the fact that Chevy is doing a partial 2016 roll-out speaks volumes to me. Are they feeling the pressure to get this vehicle out there ASAP (because of Tesla) or have they done this type of thing before?
The thoughts on the web are that it could be due to environmental benefits for production next year or the shift to engine manufacture from Mexico to the US.

The "model year" concept is such a joke. That article says, quote: "GM spokesperson, Kevin Kelly, delivered the official statement saying: Chevrolet has a shortened model year for the 2016 Chevy Volt that will have a limited distribution network. The 2016 Volt will be sold in our strongest EREV markets. The 2017 Chevrolet Volt will begin production early this spring and will be available throughout the country."
It's not even 2016 yet and GM is already talking about the 2017 model year Volt starting production in the spring of 2016.
I am so glad that Tesla does not use model years.

2nd. The motion of "model year" to differentiate feature sets doesn't work for a company that evolves as much as Tesla. The fact is that car companies end up releasing almost a year earlier than the model year so as to make the cars newer sounding. After all, what's newer than a car from the future?

Looks like user "eds" who started this thread has been picked up by the FBI for breaking into an email server and posting information along with false and misleading commentary.
Tesla Ex-Employee Snapped Up By FBI - Gas 2

From the original reports I read, 'Eds' is not this person picked up in Vermont crossing the border from Canada by the FBI and who was fired by Tesla in Dec 2014. Such a person would not have Model X information, which 'Eds' claimed to have. The information garnered by the arrested ex-employee was not Model X related according to the articles, but was employee performance information gathered between Dec 2014 (don't remember the exact date) to Jan 2015 (don't remember the exact date)...again, not related Model X information.

So it does NOT look like user 'Eds' was picked up by the FBI for breaking into an e-mail server, etc., etc...

I base my point on the experience that positive (for Tesla) verbosity or noise very rarely gets any flak on TMC. In fact, it gets kudos as in the second thread of my signature.

That's a very narrow view that leads to an incorrect assumption. It's also a view you continue to go on about, as if repeatedly mentioning it (in direct and indirect ways) is going to change something you have less than zero control over. Doing so then adds to the flak you receive.

I think everyone just needs to calm down and accept the reality of the situation: 10 or fewer Model Xs will be delivered to Founders on Sept 29-30, and perhaps another 10-20 in October. The online configurator will go live in November, and 100-300 Model Xs will be delivered to Signature reservation holders by December 31. We'll start seeing 200-400 built and delivered per week some time in late January.

So far I'm very close to right! "10 or fewer cars" (6, actually) were indeed delivered to Founders on the 29th.

I'm only partially correct about the configurator since Signature reservation holders have been able to build their vehicles. But no public configurator, yet.

I'll actually be surprised if any Signatures are delivered in October, especially since Bonnie's #2 hasn't gone into production as of her last update.

I am curious how everyone knows there will be next to no deliveries this year? Is it at all possible that they will build thousands in the next couple months? Were the founders cars all hand built? Just wondering how these conclusions are based.

Not everyone knows. People are guessing, speculating, extrapolating. There are a number of discussions in various threads around the forum. You can try some of the investment threads for information.

I am curious how everyone knows there will be next to no deliveries this year? Is it at all possible that they will build thousands in the next couple months? Were the founders cars all hand built? Just wondering how these conclusions are based.
As Krugerrand mentioned, the conclusions are based on what people are reading on the various threads at forums like this one. The problem is if the information is accurate or not. A person who tours the Tesla Factory and makes a comment may be accurate on the day they share the data, but the following day an entire new process or activity could be occurring. Think of any reports as a snapshot. Like a photo, it's just a moment in time. Put all the snapshots together and better conclusions are determined. With that in mind, let's review.

There have been deliveries on September 29th of Model X that were most likely assembled by hand, however I believe that each one was welded by robots that were programmed during the process of building the mules and test articles. May I suggest that while the very first Model X that we rode in over three years ago on February 9, 2012 was built by hand, there were components of that vehicle that would be identical to Model S. A portion those vehicles existed of parts that came off assembly lines. But prototypes are extremely expensive, as are the very first units of the Founder's production cars, since many hours of time are spent slowly building the vehicle and making sure that the parts and processes are better each time. At this point, we see Model X chassis frames on separate assembly lines at the Fremont factory. There was (on 9/30) a Model X "Training X" sitting near the final assembly line with about a half dozen workers installing all the parts that are installed at the final assembly line. Obviously these are the same workers who build Model S who are learning the differences of the Model X. We know that the final assembly line will be used for both Model S and X, as this information has been provided by both employees at the Launch Event and the Factory Tour. Based on a that "snapshot" in September, the factory is almost ready for a slow ramp up of Model X vehicle production. There will be some extra "hands on" steps for the first vehicles through the line. But those who have taken management classes know that there is a "learning curve". Early production takes longer and as the skills are improved, each task takes less time. Based on those mathematical curves, an auto factory knows how fast production will ramp-up over time. But add to that the delays that can occur with programming a robot, having a supplier improve a part, extra training if an error occurs, and the time it takes to inspect and re-work something that isn't right. It isn't like rocket science, where everything must be perfect for the one launch. Thankfully, if an automobile has a problem, a repair can be made, a modification is possible, a new part can be installed. That can take time, but be positive. Since a half dozen perfect cars exist for the Founders, the Tesla Motors company knows how to build them perfectly. The Signature cars will get that same level of perfection at a slightly faster pace with each one built. The great news to report is when I asked our tour guide if our Signature Model X vehicles are built on the assembly lines, the answer was "yes". I can be assured that since robots are involved, that every weld and process that the programmers have entered into the computer will be accomplished. The processes done by people will be completed at a careful rate at first and as each craftsman and craftswoman does their task, they will get faster and faster until the production line for Model X will be at the same speed as Model S. It has to be, since both models of S and X merge at the end and are assembled by the same team. The quality you get in Model S will be the quality of Model X. I hope that my explanation (based on education for a management degree and ending with several visits to the factory) will help dispel any rumors that production numbers will be low. IMHO, I think we will be surprised at the rate of production once the first Signature vehicles are completed. Be patient, if any flaw is found in the final product, all bets of speedy delivery are off. However, once that imagined flaw is corrected, watch out. Those delivery trucks better line up fast. One more positive note, unlike the early days of Model X, there are now 3 years of production experience at Fremont factory assembling the finest automobiles that Consumer Reports have ever tested.

One more positive note, unlike the early days of Model X, there are now 3 years of production experience at Fremont factory assembling the finest automobiles that Consumer Reports have ever tested.

Supporting this comment - a former Tesla manager who was able to inspect a Founder's X yesterday at his leisure, set me a note that included:

Not surprised, but must say the build quality is way better than S founders