Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed Sigs - what could Tesla do to make it up to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine, waiting in line at the Apple store for 2.5 years and suddenly being offered to move into a special customer slot for 300 extra dollars for a limited edition iphone, possibly signed by Steve Jobs, and you could get it first. The door opens at long last. The both lines start to move. The lines move forward and you start to see you are frozen in the special customer line. Some special customers behind you walk by and say "Isn't it nice to be in this special line." A Genius makes eye contact but quickly turns away, nothing is said. You get passed by the guy you were behind in the original line, and he says "hang in there buddy." You then see the guy 1,000 spots after your original place walk out of the store. He says "man, this thing is awesome. It will be worth the wait." You use your original iphone to call someone you know that got the special customer, limited edition phone, and they tell you to "quit complaining. It wasn't in writing." That would make a certain percentage of Americans go postal.

That... that pretty much sums it up.

The whole iPhone/waiting in line analogy assumes both items are identical. While the Signature Model S has very little separating it from a production Model S, it is different. I understand the idea behind it that people who paid for the special line don't want other people jumping in front of them as well.

That... that pretty much sums it up.

Agreed. I would add that as you stood in the special line amd random people behind you started getting their phones, there was no communication for a period of time explaining what was going on or why.

I agree that the egregious cases like AO and Kroneal still need something additional from Tesla, but for all the Sigs I still think the $40k reservation and Sig premium didn't necessarily get much value, especially for people who would have had early P reservations. We ended up as Tesla's guinea pigs for many things that now (thankfully) are working much more smoothly, like the interal delivery team.

How about two Sig parties (one east coast, one west coast) as a special thank you to all the Sigs? A special event for Sigs some time next year would be really nice, and without "admitting" anything in particular, a special in-person thank you to Sigs for being the early adopters and guinea pigs and suffering through some of their growing pains would be a really nice, class, and (relatively) low cost touch by Tesla.

The whole iPhone/waiting in line analogy assumes both items are identical. While the Signature Model S has very little separating it from a production Model S, it is different. I understand the idea behind it that people who paid for the special line don't want other people jumping in front of them as well.

Besides Sig red, white leather (and many people didn't get either), and the etching of "Signature", what's different? Is there anything else I'm missing? It would be like offering a red iPhone to people in the first line as an option. I wouldn't consider that a different product, and don't think my car is any different than a non-Sig performance car.

How about two Sig parties (one east coast, one west coast) as a special thank you to all the Sigs? A special event for Sigs some time next year would be really nice, and without "admitting" anything in particular, a special in-person thank you to Sigs for being the early adopters and guinea pigs and suffering through some of their growing pains would be a really nice, class, and (relatively) low cost touch by Tesla.
While a nice gesture, it doesn't really mean much for me to spend airline ticket fees to go to an event. And, no, I'm not suggesting they cover ticket fares. Just saying it wouldn't do much for some of us to try to bandaid the wounds with more bills (and having to schedule time off work potentially as they seem to like weekday events).

Here's what I would do ...

• A wall at the Tesla factory with the names of all the Signature owners, with acknowledgement of the role you all played in getting Model S to the market,
  • A framed print sent to you of the wall with your name on it, and,
  • A thank-you note, signed by Tesla exec mgmt.

And a bottle of wine, of course.

I know it was taken off the table at some point, but I still would like to get a personalized badge for the car - stating reservation # and name - like the Roadster cars got. Maybe they can add it onto the console option that is in the works.

On a slightly different subject. The one perk for the Sigs is one year of free data plan. Does that mean the general production cars getting delivered now have no data service? If they do have data service, are the general production owners paying for it? Is it free for general production at this point too?

Here's what I would do ...

• A wall at the Tesla factory with the names of all the Signature owners, with acknowledgement of the role you all played in getting Model S to the market,
  • A framed print sent to you of the wall with your name on it, and,
  • A thank-you note, signed by Tesla exec mgmt.

I love this because it doesn't take too much time or money for Tesla, nor (to Brianman's point) does it require anything additional from Sig owners (money and/or time). Add in JKam's idea for a badge somewhere inside the car that can be installed at an annual service, and now we're talking about something that I think would really help make the Sig experience something closer to what I think most of us were hoping for when we put down our deposits on blind faith.

I know it was taken off the table at some point, but I still would like to get a personalized badge for the car - stating reservation # and name - like the Roadster cars got. Maybe they can add it onto the console option that is in the works.

On a slightly different subject. The one perk for the Sigs is one year of free data plan. Does that mean the general production cars getting delivered now have no data service? If they do have data service, are the general production owners paying for it? Is it free for general production at this point too?

I believe it is currently on for everyone for free but they are going to announce pricing this month for everyone (Sigs still get first year free).