Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. When you say “reject”—did you already wire TSLA the payment that was due…and then simply did not agree to take the car they presented?

You don't have to, at least your down payment portion. Where it becomes tricky is third party financing where they wire the funds to Tesla.

But yes, I scheduled delivery and within the first 2 mins of looking at the car, I called the delivery person over to point out the panel gap at the driver side A-pillar. I would be looking at that gap every time I walked up to the car. And it didn't help that the 2 MXs parked next to mine for delivery didn't have this particular issue at the A pillar. They took it back to the service bay to have it looked at and then came back and said it was "within spec". And even tried to sell me on the idea that gaps are there for the expansion and contraction of the metal panels. Sure, but not to the point that I could clearly see into the interior panels. Told him no thanks.

Last edited:
Newbie here. When you say “reject”—did you already wire TSLA the payment that was due…and then simply did not agree to take the car they presented?
Never pay for any car before you inspect it. They will try and get you to pay before inspecting your car, never do this. Always inspect first no matter what they say.

Just got a date range. Updated around noon PST.

9/11 order
No FSD
SoCal
IMG_7893.jpeg

Last edited:
Its system generated. The website now says Nov-Dec for all new orders. All of us that ordered very early Sept had Sept-Oct dates and once the website went to Oct-Nov we all got that same push to the new window if we didn't get a VIN yet. After a few days your original delivery window will come back.
You were correct. My delivery date just updated for the second time today from Nov-Dec to a specific set of dates.

You don't have to, at least your down payment portion. Where it becomes tricky is third party financing where they wire the funds to Tesla.

But yes, I scheduled delivery and within the first 2 mins of looking at the car, I called the delivery person over to point out the panel gap at the driver side A-pillar. I would be looking at that gap every time I walked up to the car. And it didn't help that the 2 MXs parked next to mine for delivery didn't have this particular issue at the A pillar. They took it back to the service bay to have it looked at and then came back and said it was "within spec". And even tried to sell me on the idea that gaps are there for the expansion and contraction of the metal panels. Sure, but not to the point that I could clearly see into the interior panels. Told him no thanks.
do you have a photo, or can you circle the area on a stock photo?
Ordered my 4th tesla (fracking addictive cars), and now am concerned about this...

thanks

My wife had placed an order for one just like this. Last week, she opted for an inventory vehicle and received it within days. Despite the circulating rumors, it has met all our expectations so far. It turned out to be a wise choice on her end.
I agree. Many people think inventory cars are rejected cars and likely to have issues. That might be true a long time ago when Tesla couldn’t make enough cars and people waited for months or years for their cars. But until recently, Tesla made too many Xs and had to put them for sale as inventory cars. So, there might be nothing wrong with the cars at all. Whether you order your car or get it from inventory, the key is to inspect it before taking delivery. The chance of you are getting a good or bad cars are the same either way. Having said that, there are inventory cars that were a reject. But it’s not always because of built issues. Sometimes it’s financing issue or timing issue. For example, if the FSD doesn’t transfer after Sept, I bet we will see some rejects in the inventory

My wife had placed an order for one just like this. Last week, she opted for an inventory vehicle and received it within days. Despite the circulating rumors, it has met all our expectations so far. It turned out to be a wise choice on her end.
Only inventory ones around here are either white/black/blue,, with six/seven seats. We have one red X, but it’s a yoke and, i’d be fine with that,, except, screw it, I never get the joy of an actual tax credit,, so the yoke is a no.

Plus, I extended out my 3 lease till Dec 1st, and I still need to get new tires on that, since i’m not paying Tesla’s price,, so I can wait. The order and lease return are linked, so worst case, I extend out the lease beyond that if needed.

I agree. Many people think inventory cars are rejected cars and likely to have issues. That might be true a long time ago when Tesla couldn’t make enough cars and people waited for months or years for their cars. But until recently, Tesla made too many Xs and had to put them for sale as inventory cars. So, there might be nothing wrong with the cars at all. Whether you order your car or get it from inventory, the key is to inspect it before taking delivery. The chance of you are getting a good or bad cars are the same either way. Having said that, there are inventory cars that were a reject. But it’s not always because of built issues. Sometimes it’s financing issue or timing issue. For example, if the FSD doesn’t transfer after Sept, I bet we will see some rejects in the inventory
My 2020 3 which was made in March of 2020,,, sat on the factory floor for a month and a half, then got finished after the shutdown, was an inventory car, and 41 months, and 39k miles later,, it may have had a few things fixed, and has a few rattles, but it’s still going strong

Sorry, this is my first Tesla, all new to me.
If I get a VIN and a date, I thought I have to secure payment before I can schedule a pick up date?
If that is the case, how can I not pay before inspection?
As I understand it, you can pay the day you go pick up the car to take home. You inspect and then make payment. I guess this would be a cash purchase. I don’t know how arranged 3rd party financing would work.

Reactions: Super_Popular
Sorry, this is my first Tesla, all new to me.
If I get a VIN and a date, I thought I have to secure payment before I can schedule a pick up date?
If that is the case, how can I not pay before inspection?
You would go to your bank and sign your loan papers and pick up a check to take to Tesla. You most likely will not have any issues but you should never sign or pay for anything at Tesla until you have seen or inspected it. It all depends on how you plan on paying for it.

do you have a photo, or can you circle the area on a stock photo?
Ordered my 4th tesla (fracking addictive cars), and now am concerned about this...

thanks
Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it since I was rejecting the vehicle. I don't think it's a common issue. I've even been looking at other Model Xs whenever I see them in parking lots and walking pass them (sometimes out of way just to walk by the door to look at this section! LOL).

But here are some stock photos of the specific area I had issue with on that particular unit. In the 2nd photo, you can see the circular hole in the piece under the A-pillar. Standing next to it, I was able to clearly see that inside panel because the front fender panel that comes up was not sitting flush with it.

Tesla Model X stock.jpg

Model X A pillar.jpg

Last edited: