Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ll Sir, perhaps you really are an outlier, Neo among us human batteries. I can only speak for myself but my Tesla experience has not been the norm from which I was conditioned to accept from my earlier body of ICE experiences. It has been superior. I did not have to deal with stealership people and their 4-square tactics with intentional delays to wear me down to acquire my car, did not have to bring my car in for service (mobile service came to take care of it), did not have to worry about service every few thousand miles to maintain my warranty, did not have to drive weekly to get gas and when I did, supercharging was free, did not have to consider trading my car for a newer model to get new features along the way, did not have to pay $2k for an updated map…to cite a few specifics. I do expect this superior experience to be the norm…with Tesla. I’m not simply buying a vehicle (just as I wasn’t buying a phone), like the iPhone I’m buying a Tesla and the ever-evolving ecosystem that comes with it. The car itself is not perfect, but taking in all as a whole, it’s overwhelmingly net positive. I can’t imagine ever getting a car from legacy manufacturers again. Been there for a long while and done that for a bit too much.
Yes, you may see me as an outlier on my buying experiences. My background facilitates that. I haven't negotiated with a car salesman at a dealer in over 30 years. Many of your experiences though are about "ownership" not "buying". I agree with you - not sure about the service every few thousand miles to maintain warranty though - haven't had that. Have never traded in a car. But yes ownership of a BEV is superior to an ICE vehicle. It is that experience AND the transfer of the FUSC, the reason I ordered a new X. Having said that, one should not be afraid to critique shortcomings of the whole experience. Tesla buying experience still falls short. As to legacy manufacturers , I have special ordered at least 8 vehicles from GM and Ford with no complaints or surprises - very easy and simple.

The part that’s nice about buying a Tesla is never having to deal with a salesman, their upselling, etc.

But it’s absolutely ridiculous that they can’t get their *sugar* together as far as quality control goes. You get more consistency from $15k cars.
I just don’t know if your experience is that of an outlier or not. Mine has been good. To paint a broad stroke on Tesla quality in general ignoring representation of your experience and that of a (almost) fully motorized car to a dumb (not intelligent connected) car is a bit reckless.

I think we will all be surprised at how high quality Tesla €25K car will be…forgetting that it will be as simple and non-motorized as an EV can get.

On a different note, had Tesla introduced its first SUV (the X) 10 years ago as a normal-looking SUV that’s simply a battery-driven vehicle without any ecosystem to speak of (think Gravity prototype that’s just revealed recently), legacy automakers and car driving public would laugh at it. At last count there are over 200 EV makers in China; it’s not special to simply slab a battery car together. If all that would make it special is the skill set of a wagon maker, we would have stuck with a horse-pulled one. Imagine horse-pulled wagon owners ripping the model T for gaps and lack of refinement.

Reactions: SOBX MX
I have a quick question
Fedchoice is asking for certificate of title application to be signed and sent in order to wire the money

Tesla saying they will give that after the delivery

how did you guys handle this?
I just sent them what Tesla sent me (no certificate of title application on mine). And I've already signed my docs, no issues so far. Wire should be sent Monday am.

I haven’t had any as bad as the guys trim falling off, but between my Teslas and several friends I haven’t seen a single one that didn’t have some sort of issue that would have never been delivered with a traditional make. Tesla does some things well, but quality is not one of them.
I mean, I think this is true to some extent but between 2011 and 2017 I was buying a new car every year from traditional makes and I’ve seen my fair share of WTF from them too. Missing trim pieces, loose seat belt holsters, obvious accidents like carpet knife cut marks on chrome and sometimes even upholstery from rushed delivery. And these are $50-100k BMW and Audis.

I’m the “car person” and people bring me to their car purchases and even for staples like the RAV4 and Honda Odyssey I’ve seen some pretty awful build quality issues and I’m revolting while my friend shrugs and doesn’t think it’s an issue with their shiny new car.

I think yes Tesla build quality is below average and Tesla pre-delivery inspection / rework is basically nonexistent, but it’s a gross exaggeration to state that low end traditional auto brands never have build irregularities.

Reactions: ChiefRollo
Picked our MXLR Ultra Red, Tax edition from San Antonio. The experience was smooth, FUSC already transferred. This was a demo car with 15 miles on the web page (though it only showed 7 miles or so when we checked). They allowed us to inspect before finalizing, it was parked inside and unlocked so we could not drive it, but we took our time to inspect. They also supercharged it to 90% as we informed them, we had a long drive.

No major issues, there were no panel gaps large enough to fit my pinky (would say nothing more than ~5mm), did not see any misalignments once we opened the FWD fully and closed them. There were couple of places where I felt the panel alignment could have been better, they told me it was within spec but if I wished, asked me to make a SC appointment (I may do that). One was on the passenger side, the panel below the side mirror, another was on the passenger side near the top rear of the FWD. There was also some seal sticking out which they tucked back in. I have attached the pictures at the very end.

We then made a 4-hour trip, and everything remained intact, did not encounter any vibrations and wheel alignment seemed ok (it was not pulling one way or the other), but still plan to get it checked out.

IMG_1047 (1).jpg
IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

I did not buy EAP or FSD but I think there is a free 3 month subscription. Questions regarding how TACC, Autosteer work on 2023:
  1. I was surprised to see the car breaks on red lights and stop sign. Will this go away once the trial is over or is this a freebee?
  2. The blind spot detection works indirectly by showing vehicles in red when I put the turn lights. I think this is a big improvement from what I have on my MS 2016. Is this also typical even if I lose FSD/EAP in three months?
Though I like the auto stop on lights for city driving, I will disable it for longer highway drives, it went into panic when it saw yellow blinking lights on highway!

We very much enjoyed the 4-hour drive and got to test TACC and autosteer, did not miss the stalks once we got used to the buttons and I even prefer the button to the stalk for TACC/autosteer.

Compared to MS 2016 RWD, the ride was quite and much less wind noise, was lot cushier (my MS has no air suspension), we enjoyed the much higher height and the spaceship like cockpit giving us a great view (would like to go on a scenic drive), the rear screen kept kids entertained. Our MS had a little less firm seats (may be that will change with time as we breakin the new seats), also felt the MS RWD handled better (may be expected given the size of X)

I have a quick question
Fedchoice is asking for certificate of title application to be signed and sent in order to wire the money

Tesla saying they will give that after the delivery

how did you guys handle this?
I just signed the purchase agreement with Tesla and sent Fedchoice a copy. They accepted and processed my DocuSign afterwards.

I did not buy EAP or FSD but I think there is a free 3 month subscription. Questions regarding how TACC, Autosteer work on 2023:
  1. I was surprised to see the car breaks on red lights and stop sign. Will this go away once the trial is over or is this a freebee?
  2. The blind spot detection works indirectly by showing vehicles in red when I put the turn lights. I think this is a big improvement from what I have on my MS 2016. Is this also typical even if I lose FSD/EAP in three months?
Though I like the auto stop on lights for city driving, I will disable it for longer highway drives, it went into panic when it saw yellow blinking lights on highway!

We very much enjoyed the 4-hour drive and got to test TACC and autosteer, did not miss the stalks once we got used to the buttons and I even prefer the button to the stalk for TACC/autosteer.

Compared to MS 2016 RWD, the ride was quite and much less wind noise, was lot cushier (my MS has no air suspension), we enjoyed the much higher height and the spaceship like cockpit giving us a great view (would like to go on a scenic drive), the rear screen kept kids entertained. Our MS had a little less firm seats (may be that will change with time as we breakin the new seats), also felt the MS RWD handled better (may be expected given the size of X)
Braking on red and stop lights is an eap/fsd feature I believe. But the lighting up cars in red is standard

Ok my delivery problems, the trim for passenger window top side was sticking out, the rear window was not fully closing so they disable auto close I think so manually close all the way. rest seems ok.
BTW there is NO CABLE, they told me I need to buy, I thought i can slow charge at home but no :(

Thanks for sharing!