Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else see the following curious numbers on the Tesla financing breakdown (in the app, in the financing details... and obviously for those going with Tesla financing, at least for now)?:

Model X $70,000.00
Model X All-Wheel Drive: $9,990.00
...< my other options >... $x,xxx.00
Destination Fee, Order Fee, etc.

Is the $70.00k + $9.99k a standard breakdown of the X cost? I don't recall that there was a single motor version for sale for $70k at any point. I'm guessing this is standard, but I'm wondering if it could be related to some new price change to come on Thursday where they software lock some performance (but just initially?) but everyone qualifies for the tax break.

1701209026394.png

Watch what your state is charging for registration. I know not every state is the same when it comes to registration. Nevada, was trying to charge me $1439 for one year registration for a msrp of $98659, car has a msrp of $79,990. Took over four hours on phone to get them to adjust the price down to $1119 for one year registration. They are still using the prices from earlier this year for their calculations. Not sure if other states are doing this also.

Reactions: Applekat17
Ok. so I took delivery today and have put about 50 miles on the car. The car was built pretty well and panel gaps were good except a little off on the back hatch (I was being nit picky since you can't really see it unless you are at the exact right angle and the sun hits is right also).

The other issues I found were:
1) Very tiny ding/impression at the front edge of the passenger door. Can only see it if you are looking at just the right angle and there is a reflection to see it.
2) A sushi rice grain of paint on the back bumper top edge was visibly scratched off and then touched up. This was really annoying.
3) The plastic black strip that sits between the FWD and the back hatch had a depression on the right side and sat a little lower than the FWD so the weather stripping was more visible from behind and looked uneven when compared to the right side. It also exposed a tiny gap in the most outer weatherstripping due to the depression. This bothered me the most.
4) There was a scuff on the hard plastic interior panel on the left cargo area. Super minor and may just leave it since it will definitely get scuffed way worse with us transporting things in the back.
5) The camber of the rear wheels seemed like it was more than many other Model X's I have seen but may be just me being overly sensitive looking for issues. I will have it checked.

Since we need the car prior to the end of the year for business tax reasons, we accepted it since everything can be resolved fairly easy (except the tiny touched up paint spot) and a service appointment has already been scheduled.

Now for the good stuff. The car is amazing. The car is head and shoulders better than the Y we have.
1) More premium interior than the Y
2) Premium suspension ride feel
3) The seats hug you much better and is very comfortable (and has power lumbar!).
4) Love that it has chill, sport and ludicrous modes (dragstrip also) and even in sport mode it is stupid responsive and fast which is amazing.
5) The quietness of the cabin when driving is fantastic.
6) My wife and I got used to the stalkless signals and drive direction (Drive/Reverse/Park) in minutes and prefer it to the stalks.
7) Cargo space is huge compared to the Y.
8) The auto present/close doors is really fun. I never had the fully opening doors so I am loving what the door is doing as it is since I have no other frame of reference.
9) The FWD's are cool and are flashy but I have not had much time to utilize them yet (only drove for 50 miles).
10) Cameras in HW4 are so much better than HW3.

In the end, was the car perfect? No. But my wife and I are very happy with it and both agree it is a significant step up in the driving/cabin experience compared to the Y and feels luxurious.
As some of you have read, a couple hours before we were assigned our VIN, we test drove a Q8 eTron but now after having the X, my wife said she is VERY glad we did not move forward with the Audi.

On another note, I did not see ANY Stealth Grey cars being delivered while I was at the delivery center.

Now I am just playing the waiting game for my reservation for the CyberTruck.

Last edited:
How do we verify that Tesla has received funds from FedChoice? Is calling Tesla the only option?
I had to deal with this today at delivery. FedChoice wired the funds in the morning and it took a couple hours for the finance folks at the SC to see it. I called FedChoice a couple times for them to send me a screen shot of the wire or provide the trace number but no response.

As someone who works in finance, I’ll tell you Tesla will be the only one who can see when the wire posts since only they have visibility to their receivables. Just a heads up, when my FedChocie wire came through Tesla’s system showed I had a credit (similar to other reports) but they let me inspect the car while finance corrected the issue.

Reactions: Fight_Club
Did anyone else see the following curious numbers on the Tesla financing breakdown (in the app, in the financing details... and obviously for those going with Tesla financing, at least for now)?:

Model X $70,000.00
Model X All-Wheel Drive: $9,990.00
...< my other options >... $x,xxx.00
Destination Fee, Order Fee, etc.

Is the $70.00k + $9.99k a standard breakdown of the X cost? I don't recall that there was a single motor version for sale for $70k at any point. I'm guessing this is standard, but I'm wondering if it could be related to some new price change to come on Thursday where they software lock some performance (but just initially?) but everyone qualifies for the tax break.

View attachment 994457
That's just how Tesla does these things for some reason, even well before the tax credit became a thing

Reactions: nicedrum
Ok. so I took delivery today and have put about 50 miles on the car. The car was built pretty well and panel gaps were good except a little off on the back hatch (I was being nit picky since you can't really see it unless you are at the exact right angle and the sun hits is right also).

The other issues I found were:
1) Very tiny ding/impression at the front edge of the passenger door. Can only see it if you are looking at just the right angle and there is a reflection to see it.
2) A sushi rice grain of paint on the back bumper top edge was visibly scratched off and then touched up. This was really annoying.
3) The plastic black strip that sits between the FWD and the back hatch had a depression on the right side and sat a little lower than the FWD so the weather stripping was more visible from behind and looked uneven when compared to the right side. It also exposed a tiny gap in the most outer weatherstripping due to the depression. This bothered me the most.
4) There was a scuff on the hard plastic interior panel on the left cargo area. Super minor and may just leave it since it will definitely get scuffed way worse with us transporting things in the back.
5) The camber of the rear wheels seemed like it was more than many other Model X's I have seen but may be just me being overly sensitive looking for issues. I will have it checked.

Since we need the car prior to the end of the year for business tax reasons, we accepted it since everything can be resolved fairly easy (except the tiny touched up paint spot) and a service appointment has already been scheduled.

Now for the good stuff. The car is amazing. The car is head and shoulders better than the Y we have.
1) More premium interior than the Y
2) Premium suspension ride feel
3) The seats hug you much better and is very comfortable (and has power lumbar!).
4) Love that it has chill, sport and ludicrous modes (dragstrip also) and even in sport mode it is stupid responsive and fast which is amazing.
5) The quietness of the cabin when driving is fantastic.
6) My wife and I got used to the stalkless signals and drive direction (Drive/Reverse/Park) in minutes and prefer it to the stalks.
7) Cargo space is huge compared to the Y.
8) The auto present/close doors is really fun. I never had the fully opening doors so I am loving what the door is doing as it is since I have no other frame of reference.
9) The FWD's are cool and are flashy but I have not had much time to utilize them yet (only drove for 50 miles).
10) Cameras in HW4 are so much better than HW3.

In the end, was the car perfect? No. But my wife and I are very happy with it and both agree it is a significant step up in the driving/cabin experience compared to the Y and feels luxurious.
As some of you have read, a couple hours before we were assigned our VIN, we test drove a Q8 eTron but now after having the X, my wife said she is VERY glad we did not move forward with the Audi.

On another note, I did not see ANY Stealth Grey cars being delivered while I was at the delivery center.

Now I am just playing the waiting game for my reservation for the CyberTruck.
I just did 5 year ceramic on my MXLR/UR/Tax.Ed, they went through with a fine comb, said they had to do very little paint correction (minor scuffs in couple of places) before applying. They showed me the 'orange peel' texture from clear coat and offered to correct it but that would have involved removing more paint, I declined. I hand wash only and the hydrophobic coat makes it easier to keep it clean (did the same for 2016 Model S), did not want to spend a lot, doing the exterior and interior cost me ~$1400

Some minor annoyances after couple of weeks and 400 miles:
  • Without USS, I had to install a cheepo Stop sign in my garage, Amazon.com, this lets me park as close to the wall as I could. I put a roll of bubble pack between the wall and the stop sign to give some cushion. No issues with FWD though, they open with some hesitation but do not hit anything.
  • FWD means I need the dogs on a leach and someone needs to be holding them to stop them from just dashing out (compared to holding a door slightly open), but do appreciate the ease with which adults and kids can get in and out.
  • The TACC and Autosteer speed seems to almost always stop 1 mile short of max! i.e., The max will say 75 Max, but my X will show it is cursing at 74! To fix this i have to use the scroll wheel one click up, the Max will go to 76 and my speed will go to 75 then one click down, and the Max will go to 75 and speed will keep at 75. Really weird, is this a bug others have encountered?
  • I need to build more muscle memory on the turn signals, I found myself indicating the wrong way when I was changing lanes.
On the plus side:
  • The Vision Autosteer HW4 is way better than my AP2 on MS 2016, it does better on state highways that sometimes have turn lanes and lights. My MS 2016 would always loose the lane which meant I never used Autosteer on anything other than interstate. With MXLR I am able to use it with divided highways or undivided highways that have two lanes on each side (and I just ask it to stay on the right lane). This may be a step back from the 2021 pre-vision only version earlier, but all I had was the 2016 MS, so I am happy with this. I disengaged Autosteer only once, when I was not confident of it keeping the lane on a turn at 80mph (the signs asked for 60mph), I wish it slowed down automatically to help with my nerves!
  • Auto Lane changing is faster and better, and I like the cool graphics (though I am not sure if I want to pay $6k just for that!)
  • Seems to do a better job of range estimation.
To Do:
  • Scheduled a wheel alignment with a local shop
  • Scheduled tinting of the front windows
Edit: Corrected wrong link

Last edited:
On the plus side:
  • The Vision Autosteer HW4 is way better than my AP2 on MS 2016, it does better on state highways that sometimes have turn lanes and lights. My MS 2016 would always loose the lane which meant I never used Autosteer on anything other than interstate. With MXLR I am able to use it with divided highways or undivided highways that have two lanes on each side (and I just ask it to stay on the right lane). This may be a step back from the 2021 pre-vision only version earlier, but all I had was the 2016 MS, so I am happy with this. I disengaged Autosteer only once, when I was not confident of it keeping the lane on a turn at 80mph (the signs asked for 60mph), I wish it slowed down automatically to help with my nerves!
  • Auto Lane changing is faster and better, and I like the cool graphics (though I am not sure if I want to pay $6k just for that!)
  • Seems to do a better job of range estimation.
Are you on a FSD trial?

I haven't driven a car with FSD yet but apparently the FSD autopilot on the highway is significantly better than standard included autopilot. Maybe everyone on HW3 will get FSD stack for normal autopilot for this year's holiday update.

Are you on a FSD trial?

I haven't driven a car with FSD yet but apparently the FSD autopilot on the highway is significantly better than standard included autopilot. Maybe everyone on HW3 will get FSD stack for normal autopilot for this year's holiday update.
Yes, I am on the 3-month trial, is there a way to turn off the FSD to get a sense of how vanilla AP performs? FWIW, I have not enabled FSD Beta in settings.

Also just got an update to FSD Beta v11.4.4

Just got assigned a vin PF422 so likely someone’s rejection or cancelled order.

Ordered MXP on 10/05 in GA.

Now to decide if I proceed with it. On the good side if it turns out well, I could end up still within the 60-day period for my originally quoted 3.99% rate with FedChoice.

Last edited:
got my VIN overnight-- PF426.

I'm excited. RedMX, 6 seat, FUSC transfer, white interior, regular wheels. AZ delivery
Ordered 10/25, 2 or 3 changes to EDD.

I'm excited that I can transfer the FUSC, so it's all good. '24 would have been nice, but we usually keep the cars a while, so it won't really matter years out. And I'm coming from a '18 MX, so it's all brand new to me anyway. (We'll keep the old X, but transfer the FUSC)

Estimated delivery 12/3-12/8

Reactions: awd_rails