Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you find out your car was at the local Tesla prior to delivery date? Good idea to survey the car for clues that there were previous issues. Other than the vin number of course.
The day they assigned me a VIN I knew something was off because the day before my EDD was still showing I’d be waiting anywhere from 4 - 9 weeks. So I went to the local service center and asked them to see where my car currently was. They said Charlotte, NC and that it should be available to schedule for delivery on the 3rd or 4th of this month once it arrived. Well that text / email came in on the 1st so I figured that meant the car was already onsite and sure enough when I drove up I saw a lot of new cars had just arrived. Mine was one of them. I didn’t go inside to ask for help but instead just looked like a normal customer walking the lot looking at cars. I checked the VIN in the app against the VIN on the car and they matched. Then I began to do my own little pre-delivery inspection of the exterior. When I finished I went inside and talked to them. The first person I got was willing to mark the car up for issues I had to see if they could be addressed. He said he would likely be doing the delivery for me when I came back. I slept on it and decided to go back to discuss because it’s always easier to address these things before you give up your money. The next person I got wasn’t so nice. Seemed like I was wasting their time. They refused to walk back out to the car with me and said they don’t do pre-delivery inspections because service will fix things before I take delivery. They’re exact words were that service would use a ruler to measure gaps to see if within spec. I knew then I was done. Said nope just either reject this VIN or put my account on hold. They did the latter.

If the next VIN assigned to me doesn’t align with the sequential order of builds at the time it is assigned, I’m likely to just cancel the order. If I go for delivery and the X has issues like what I just saw, I’m likely to cancel the order. Mentally I’m just at a place in life where I’m not willing to accept this on a $100k car. I have options and can wait for what I want rather than accept imperfections that I believe are ridiculous on a car that’s been in production for a decade.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Just checked this morning (right after waking up of course) and saw that I have a VIN; it’s PF427 with an EDD of 12/16 - 12/22 (for an UR-LR-MX). With vacation planned over this stretch of days, I need to reject this somehow. Can someone share relevant experience? Do I simply reach out to the SA? What’s the proper etiquette to follow to manage this well? My main driver with this order is the FUSC transfer.
@ChiefRollo
Congrats...I check as I'm walking up, before bedtime & in between. Please remind me of your OD. Are you Denver or CO SPG?

I went to New Tesla Showroom in Gypsum yesterday just to speak with my SA for any update. I was surprised they were closed, even though they're open on Saturdays. Very strange since just opened last month.

Just checked this morning (right after waking up of course) and saw that I have a VIN; it’s PF427 with an EDD of 12/16 - 12/22 (for an UR-LR-MX). With vacation planned over this stretch of days, I need to reject this somehow. Can someone share relevant experience? Do I simply reach out to the SA? What’s the proper etiquette to follow to manage this well? My main driver with this order is the FUSC transfer.
I would check with your SA first regarding rejecting and still being eligible for FUSC transfer as the transfer agreement probably has language that says you have to accept the VIN you're assigned or at least make good faith attempt to take delivery. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ChiefRollo
The day they assigned me a VIN I knew something was off because the day before my EDD was still showing I’d be waiting anywhere from 4 - 9 weeks. So I went to the local service center and asked them to see where my car currently was. They said Charlotte, NC and that it should be available to schedule for delivery on the 3rd or 4th of this month once it arrived. Well that text / email came in on the 1st so I figured that meant the car was already onsite and sure enough when I drove up I saw a lot of new cars had just arrived. Mine was one of them. I didn’t go inside to ask for help but instead just looked like a normal customer walking the lot looking at cars. I checked the VIN in the app against the VIN on the car and they matched. Then I began to do my own little pre-delivery inspection of the exterior. When I finished I went inside and talked to them. The first person I got was willing to mark the car up for issues I had to see if they could be addressed. He said he would likely be doing the delivery for me when I came back. I slept on it and decided to go back to discuss because it’s always easier to address these things before you give up your money. The next person I got wasn’t so nice. Seemed like I was wasting their time. They refused to walk back out to the car with me and said they don’t do pre-delivery inspections because service will fix things before I take delivery. They’re exact words were that service would use a ruler to measure gaps to see if within spec. I knew then I was done. Said nope just either reject this VIN or put my account on hold. They did the latter.

If the next VIN assigned to me doesn’t align with the sequential order of builds at the time it is assigned, I’m likely to just cancel the order. If I go for delivery and the X has issues like what I just saw, I’m likely to cancel the order. Mentally I’m just at a place in life where I’m not willing to accept this on a $100k car. I have options and can wait for what I want rather than accept imperfections that I believe are ridiculous on a car that’s been in production for a decade.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Good for you! I would have done the same.

Last year when I ordered my S, they told me it would be 2 months for delivery. Right after I ordered, we took off for our 1-month long trip abroad. Within 2 weeks they said the car was ready you need to pick up. They were being a dick about it too so I canceled my order. Chase got my deposit back no problem. I resubmitted my order after we got back.

@ChiefRollo
Congrats...I check as I'm walking up, before bedtime & in between. Please remind me of your OD. Are you Denver or CO SPG?

I went to New Tesla Showroom in Gypsum yesterday just to speak with my SA for any update. I was surprised they were closed, even though they're open on Saturdays. Very strange since just opened last month.
I’ve done the same :). I’m in CO SPG. My order date was 10/20. Regarding Gypsum, that is strange. I went to my local SC yesterday late afternoon to lend moral support to my brother-in-law with his 1st Tesla pickup; there was one Tesla person available the entire time we were there to help 4 or so groups of customers; thought it was strange that there weren’t more Tesla employees. Maybe the impending storm kept folks from showing up for work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Saxman
Nice! Did you already take delivery?
I've just been obsessively refreshing the inventory and just saw it pop up a little while ago. I need to get my paperwork over to fedchoice and then i'll pick up. But the scheduling app has given me delivery options for this week (but nothing past Friday). Very happy since my 3.99% rate would have expired in a couple of weeks!

I’ve done the same :). I’m in CO SPG. My order date was 10/20. Regarding Gypsum, that is strange. I went to my local SC yesterday late afternoon to lend moral support to my brother-in-law with his 1st Tesla pickup; there was one Tesla person available the entire time we were there to help 4 or so groups of customers; thought it was strange that there weren’t more Tesla employees. Maybe the impending storm kept folks from showing up for work.
@ChiefRollo
Thanks for that info.
Can't understand why you got VIN so quickly and before me, when I placed order on September 30. I also ordered the MXLR Edition.

Sorry you're unable to take delivery in the window they gave you. Hopefully they can hold until you return.

@ChiefRollo
Thanks for that info.
Can't understand why you got VIN so quickly and before me, when I placed order on September 30. I also ordered the MXLR Edition.

Sorry you're unable to take delivery in the window they gave you. Hopefully they can hold until you return.
Please remind me of the color of your MXLR on order. I wonder if the reason has to do with batch production based on paint color.

Does anyone know how long Tesla is willing to hold?

Please remind me of the color of your MXLR on order. I wonder if the reason has to do with batch production based on paint color.

Does anyone know how long Tesla is willing to hold?
I ordered White exterior with Black interior, 5 seater Tax edition.
Actually 60 days +/- has been the trend lately, so I'm not all that over due, so far.
You really bucked the trend with only 44 days out from OD 😊👍