Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who put your order on a hold.. how long did it take to get a new VIN reassigned and how far out was delivery date? My hold ends 12/15 and I don't know if I should remove it earlier to be able to take delivery before end of year. Optimally I'd like to take delivery after Christmas.
put a hold on november 17th, releaesd dec 1st, vin assigned dec 5th

Woo-hoo!
Woke up this morning with my VIN PF4278XX...68 days from OD.

After accepting the Tesla Vision document, it took me to Delivery Tasks on my Tesla App.

In the INSURANCE Task, it's requiring me to upload photo of my Policy:
▪︎active for 60 days after delivery
▪︎must show my new VIN

MY QUESTION IS...Does this task need to be uploaded BEFORE I can schedule a delivery date? If so, can I get a new insurance policy issued with my new VIN, before I own the vehicle.

I'm confused by this process...maybe because I'm 74 years old🤣

I don't remember 100% if you need it before you can schedule the delivery date, but I did take care of it before I got to that point. I called my insurance company and basically told them I plan to get a car by X date, and they were able to add the VIN to the policy effective for that date and sent me a card that reflected that. They did say if the delivery date changes, they could update the policy start date to whatever I need them to change it to.

• Informative
Reactions: dmk712 and Saxman
Woo-hoo!

After accepting the Tesla Vision document, it took me to Delivery Tasks on my Tesla App.

▪︎must show my new VIN

MY QUESTION IS...Does this task need to be uploaded BEFORE I can schedule a delivery date? If so, can I get a new insurance policy issued with my new VIN, before I own the vehicle.

Weird! Mine only asked me to show proof of insurance. Could be a state thing?

Woo-hoo!

▪︎must show my new VIN

Swipe from right to left to see the other cards. Does it let you schedule?

Reactions: Saxman
It seems like it is a state thing due to how the laws were crafted where you live for insurance coverage. In CA you just have to show proof of auto insurance for any car. Does not have to be a Tesla and does not require VIN.
I know for other cars in my state I always only needed to show proof of existing coverage, not coverage for the new car specifically. But Tesla seems more strict here

Reactions: Saxman
It seems like it is a state thing due to how the laws were crafted where you live for insurance coverage. In CA you just have to show proof of auto insurance for any car. Does not have to be a Tesla and does not require VIN.

This is true. Not a requirement in CA as you have a grace period where your coverage automatically covers the new car. When I went to undergrad in NC and bought a car there, they had to have an insurance agent come in to start a new policy before I was able to drive off

Reactions: jboy210