Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably because Elon (and the people he hired / keeps hired) thinks it's not important.

I doubt that (but who knows). The way they do it at present costs them a fortune in eg. call centre costs. I got three calls, from different people, the day before collecting my car. I had had absolutely no means (on line) of confirming that the delivery date (AND 30 minute time slot) they gave me was suitable for me - or not (and no chance of getting through to a human on the overload phone lines); I had paid them money (so they could have assumed that I did want the car!) ... but their only approach was to call me 3x ... and what if I had been out? A car with VIN assigned to me uncollected that day because I did a no-show ...

Collectively I think all these things must be incredibly expensive for Tesla (implemented in the way that they are) and that ought to be enough incentive to fix them. There is the negative-PR cost too of course ...

In my company we get hugely frustrated with inefficiency. But we choose to do things "by excessive, cumbersome, processes in duplicate, and consequently with inaccurate-data" because sometimes we have to. But we are then busy putting systems in place to replace those processes with more efficient ones ... that has taken years, on occasions.

Anyone here got ZERO complaints with the way their company works at all times? :p

Maybe some boffin calculated they would only lose 1% sales and there is too much demand to satisfy all sales anyway so there is no point spending money on it?

Yup, I believe that is possible.

They literally tried to close most customer facing "showrooms" earlier this year. So clearly they think they can treat people however they like and still get a sale.

Hmm ...I have a different view on that one (and dramatic price increases / drops etc.)

"We need to lay off 10% of the workforce"
"Those 10%, and also the other 90% are going to be very vocal ..."
"OK, tell everyone they are being laid off"
"Really?"
"Yup. Then a few days later tell them we've changed our mind and 90% are being retained. The 90% will feel they dodged a bullet and won't complain, and the 10% will feel they were unlucky."

Replace WORKFORCE with PRICE as appropriate for other instances.

of course I am only guessing ... but it has happened, in similar way, on a number of occasions.

There are thousands of customers in the UK who ordered a Model 3 at the beginning of May who have not received their cars and two months later have no reliable delivery estimate. Tesla seems incapable of matching orders to production. Many no longer believe anything Tesla say with the only reliable indicator you are actually going to get your car is the text with date, time and location to collect your car.

Tesla still has unbelievable delivery dates for cars ordered today and is now prioritising new customers over those who have ordered. If you have ordered a car, you are at the back of the queue for a test drive.

There is either a level of arrogance or incompetence which is surprising for a company that has such huge support, primarily from the very customers who Tesla has failed. Tesla is either ignorant of its failures or just does not care. There have been no apologies issued.

All of this was unnecessary. They have a great product with amazing cars, a service centre concept and Superchargers that are the envy of the big car manufacturers. Had they given delivery estimates of 4-6 months, it would still be quicker than most other EV's available and would have no impact on orders, many have been waiting for three years.

Come on Tesla, let's see your innovative approach and get the delivery dates sorted, apologise and offer at least a years supercharging for those who ordered in May.
In US to buy an imported European car, depending of the model, you have to custom ordered it and it might take three months or so.

Some people like to pick up their car at the factory, they can drive it for a month in Europe, and get it shipped. All included in the order.

Last edited:
The point about delivery and customer service has wider implications than just impatience over getting the car. Someone posted on a different forum that if you need to depend on this car, a Tesla may not be suitable. Whilst the Model S&X do not have had the problems of the Model 3, once all the cars ordered to date are delivered, it will equate to a 50% increase in the numbers of Teslas in the UK and you could reasonably expect the numbers to double within 12 months. Will the service centres be able to provide a reasonable service. If Tesla does not care about their customers because they are not losing enough sales, where does it leave us, will we end up waiting months for spare parts, or warranty repairs leaving you without a vehicle.

Reactions: RjbT3
Haven't heard about many people cancelling their orders, not even you!
I still think Tesla has an awesome product, although I have concerns that as customer service is a low priority, what about warranty and spares.

I have seen a few posts elsewhere where customers say they have cancelled their order. One even talked about protesting outside Tesla HQ ass they were going near there on holiday.

Others are writing to national media. There are a lot of very unhappy people.

However, Tesla is so far advanced over the competition and has done great things to literally get the rest of the motor industry to rethink and catch up. I hope someone at Tesla recognises that they must improve their customer service, but I have questioned whether Tesla really has long terms plans to manufacture and sell cars. Elon has already said as much, albeit I suspect it is a significant way off

Anyone here got ZERO complaints with the way their company works at all times? :p

Just as there are lots of isheep who will tolerate no criticism of Apple, I'm sure there are lots of Tesla sheep who think the company can do no wrong.:):)

Personally I think it's highly amusing that a company that is at the very forefront of tech and innovation is totally incapable of getting some of the basics right :p

I still think Tesla has an awesome product, although I have concerns that as customer service is a low priority, what about warranty and spares.

I have seen a few posts elsewhere where customers say they have cancelled their order. One even talked about protesting outside Tesla HQ ass they were going near there on holiday.

Others are writing to national media. There are a lot of very unhappy people.

However, Tesla is so far advanced over the competition and has done great things to literally get the rest of the motor industry to rethink and catch up. I hope someone at Tesla recognises that they must improve their customer service, but I have questioned whether Tesla really has long terms plans to manufacture and sell cars. Elon has already said as much, albeit I suspect it is a significant way off

As a Tesla owner, I've actually found their customer service (the human part of it at least) very good. Certainly better than many experiences I've had with traditional car dealerships. What they are not good at is communication, but once you build some rapport with your local SC it gets a lot better.

Just as there are lots of isheep who will tolerate no criticism of Apple, I'm sure there are lots of Tesla sheep who think the company can do no wrong.:):)

I haven't come across many of those "sheep" on this forum. If anything Tesla owners are the most hyper-critical bunch I've ever come across! Certainly compared to many other car forums I've frequented. Try saying something critical on a Porsche forum for example and see how you get on.

Someone posted on a different forum that if you need to depend on this car, a Tesla may not be suitable

yes its a good point. To date Tesla have always given me a loaner when they had my car, but it has crossed my mind whether they are in a position to do that for the increase in case numbers that Model-3 will bring. I don't suppose many model-3 owners will mind being given a P100D loaner ...

When I pondered this I didn't remember reading threads from USA / EU about poor service (because insufficient engineers / workshop due to growth), but I don't have a lot of time to read those threads, and hopefully folk from USA / EU reading this UK forum could comment. But, yup, definitely a concern.

I like that one :)

The comparison with Apple is a valid one - Elon & Tesla creates a similar type of hype over new product launches and media attention follows accordingly. This in turn creates customer demand and excitement over being one of the first to have the shiny new product. It lead to queues to pay $1000 / £1000 for people anxious to be first to get the Model 3 - and Tesla benefited hugely as a result. It certainly lead to me & others on this forum ordering early on Day 1 - on the basis (as we were told) that we would get the car first. There were initial indications that everyone who ordered on Day 1 would be prioritised before everyone else (regardless of RHD / LHD or spec). I think we have therefore waited very patiently while other countries have received thousands of cars before us.
To now find that some people who reserved / ordered in some cases years later have received cars earlier is going to create a lot of resentment - and I am not surprised some people are getting angry. Tesla created this issue, and they should be managing expectations better - in any industry annoying your most loyal customers / advocates is not a great move.
I have many friends / family who know I have ordered a Tesla and ask me every time they contact me whether I have got the car yet - I even had a guy I used to work with who hasn't contacted me in 2 years message me last week to see how I liked the car (as he has seen they are now available in the UK). ALL of these people are put off looking at a Tesla as their next car when there is no guarantee when the car will arrive, and no consistent message.
Even a text / call saying "You will be getting you car in the 2nd week of August" would be a positive message - even if they then delivered early! I am not going to cancel my order, but I am certainly becoming disillusioned with Tesla in this whole process..

I am certainly becoming disillusioned with Tesla in this whole process..

Yeah, but you'll forget that - or at least "put it behind you". (I have no idea if Tesla are banking on that ... but this problem they have not attempted to fix all in the years I've had mine)

ALL of these people are put off looking at a Tesla as their next car when there is no guarantee when the car will arrive, and no consistent message.

Yeah, but you are going to give them a ride when you get yours, right? Make sure they sign an exclusive referral-code-contract before they get into your car, 'coz they are all going to be converts :). Their memories will be short on this too ... otherwise noone here would be complaining IYSWIM

I'm not sure the title of this post is correct. There is no chaos as there are no deliveries till at least August.

Only a few days ago Tesla Customer Services told me more cars would be arriving in 2 weeks, and that I should still expect delivery in July - although I suspect they didn't really know. That has to be close to chaos in terms of customer communication...

I have many friends / family who know I have ordered a Tesla and ask me every time they contact me whether I have got the car yet -

Yep, pretty much everyone I talk to about the car - and I try not to outright start conversations about me car - keep asking when I'll get it so they can have a look. I've not met anyone who was not interested in having a look.

Then I tell them I have no idea when I'll get it they look at me like I'm a nutter, buying a car and not knowing when I'll get it.

Tesla announced in Q1, and again referred to it in Q2 report, that they now match VINs to orders close to delivery so that they can move cars around to maximise cash flow

They may have the capability but have chosen not to use it to update customers. Instead, they have given and continue to give estimates they must know are unachievable.

I got my car in June - Great, pleased for you, thousands do not have theirs and have no idea when they will get them. I think I would be laid back as you if I had my car or even a realistic delivery date.

Apologise - Easy, every customer has an account which has their email and mobile phone - they have already sent out a text and email correcting an error in the way they present the invoice to all customers with delivery pending.

Test Drive priority - suspect this is more down to individual Tesla staff rather than corporate policy.

Most will stick with it as we support Tesla in what they are doing and they have a great product, but we are the people who believe this is the way forward, the sceptics who don't like the idea of EV's will not be as forgiving. I can afford this, but as the UK Gov't has identified, this is the luxury end of the market and I did expect at least a proficient service.

• Love