Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m scratching my head. Not about how dirty it is but how it got in that state in the first place. It’s not far off having a perfect covering. I can only think it was hit by a huge puddle somehow.

Also curious about two stickers on windscreen - I could take a guess at bottom right (facing car) but top left straddling the join?

For everyone still worked up about not having their M3 yet, imagine owning one was so mundane that you let it get in this state.

IMG_20181226_131308.jpg
Be careful, you might get band for posting a dirty picture like that!

Not sure why so many getting worked up about Tesla for not delivering on time. Its only a car. I am also waiting for mine but instead of being worked up, i am rather excited checking for vin numbers every half hour, looking for ship movements between the states and UK, checking shipping forecast on radio 4 and scouring teslamotorsclub forums for all the news i can get. Went to the Solihull showroom to mess around the infotainment screen on a LHD M3 today too. Hope it is worth it. :D

Not sure why so many getting worked up about Tesla for not delivering on time. Its only a car. I am also waiting for mine but instead of being worked up, i am rather excited checking for vin numbers every half hour, looking for ship movements between the states and UK, checking shipping forecast on radio 4 and scouring teslamotorsclub forums for all the news i can get. Went to the Solihull showroom to mess around the infotainment screen on a LHD M3 today too. Hope it is worth it. :D
Have you nothing better to do?
I suggest you go to Heathrow as they have a nice Blue RHD M3 with white seats to mess around in!

I've given Tesla £3K so far.
I've committed to give them another £55K or so.
I reserved years ago.
I ordered months ago.

I have absolutely no idea when I'm getting my car and it's embarrassing. I work in the automotive industry and people on here are saying it's no better with other manufactures, but that's an absolute joke. Sure there's stories of other marques occasionally screwing up, but this is so different.

1: People saying here that no one really expected June deliveries are insane, I was told June and I totally believed them. It never even crossed my mind to doubt what the website and staff were saying.

2: People saying be patient, this isn't a question of patience, I can wait months if needed, I've never been so uninformed as a customer and it's crazy to say it's all fine.

3: Tesla staff know nothing, I can't imagine how they feel doing a job with absolutely no information on how to answer the most basic of questions. It must be so demoralizing to keep telling customers you have no way of helping and that you're totally out the loop.

4: Forum user know less than Tesla staff, there's still users who happily say they know (because some lighthouse keeper thought he saw a boat with a car on it) that all the cars will be here end of July/August/September/2020/2050.... No one knows anything and to pretend otherwise is a lie.

5: Users defending Tesla's lack of comms because the company should focus on core operations. Again, crazy to think this, communicating with your customers is so core to the success of a business and the comms that users here want is so minimal.

6: Users here saying if you're not happy you should just cancel your order makes me so mad, some of us are years in to this process at this point, plus, can you imagine trying to get your money back? I have zero faith that Tesla would issue a refund without a complete nightmare of a journey.

The current situation is indefensible in my mind, if anyone "normal" asked if they should buy a Tesla I'd tell them to run for the hills, this process is for weirdos only (like me) who can survive the levels of money involved here and the level of total disrespect shown.

Seriously consider the fact that on a daily basis there's hundreds of poor customers checking the source code of a web page in the hopes that a hidden VIN number will magically appear, then with that VIN number they raise their hopes that it means their car may finally be on its way because they read on this forum that some sorcery kicks in once the matrix code of our Tesla account leaks some data.

It's all so ridiculous, so indefensible, so arrogant and so ludicrously dangerous to the reputation of Tesla.

Before people start saying that I'm not the "correct" kind of Tesla customer, consider what I'm actually asking for:

A single email from Tesla giving me a really rough idea of where my car is. That's it! Nothing else!

I seriously think that's all most users want, a simple email, we're asking for so little and being so reasonable, but being treated so badly.

I don't understand how this is defended. We all want the car, but that's not a reason for a company to behave like this, it's bonkers.

I reserved years ago.
I ordered months ago.

I have absolutely no idea when I'm getting my car and it's embarrassing. I work in the automotive industry and people on here are saying it's no better with other manufactures, but that's an absolute joke. Sure there's stories of other marques occasionally screwing up, but this is so different.

1: People saying here that no one really expected June deliveries are insane, I was told June and I totally believed them. It never even crossed my mind to doubt what the website and staff were saying.

2: People saying be patient, this isn't a question of patience, I can wait months if needed, I've never been so uninformed as a customer and it's crazy to say it's all fine.

3: Tesla staff know nothing, I can't imagine how they feel doing a job with absolutely no information on how to answer the most basic of questions. It must be so demoralizing to keep telling customers you have no way of helping and that you're totally out the loop.

4: Forum user know less than Tesla staff, there's still users who happily say they know (because some lighthouse keeper thought he saw a boat with a car on it) that all the cars will be here end of July/August/September/2020/2050.... No one knows anything and to pretend otherwise is a lie.

5: Users defending Tesla's lack of comms because the company should focus on core operations. Again, crazy to think this, communicating with your customers is so core to the success of a business and the comms that users here want is so minimal.

6: Users here saying if you're not happy you should just cancel your order makes me so mad, some of us are years in to this process at this point, plus, can you imagine trying to get your money back? I have zero faith that Tesla would issue a refund without a complete nightmare of a journey.

The current situation is indefensible in my mind, if anyone "normal" asked if they should buy a Tesla I'd tell them to run for the hills, this process is for weirdos only (like me) who can survive the levels of money involved here and the level of total disrespect shown.

Seriously consider the fact that on a daily basis there's hundreds of poor customers checking the source code of a web page in the hopes that a hidden VIN number will magically appear, then with that VIN number they raise their hopes that it means their car may finally be on its way because they read on this forum that some sorcery kicks in once the matrix code of our Tesla account leaks some data.

It's all so ridiculous, so indefensible, so arrogant and so ludicrously dangerous to the reputation of Tesla.

Before people start saying that I'm not the "correct" kind of Tesla customer, consider what I'm actually asking for:

A single email from Tesla giving me a really rough idea of where my car is. That's it! Nothing else!

I seriously think that's all most users want, a simple email, we're asking for so little and being so reasonable, but being treated so badly.

I don't understand how this is defended. We all want the car, but that's not a reason for a company to behave like this, it's bonkers.
Finally!!! Someone on this forum is talking complete sense! There are a few on this forum (I think it is only a minority, but they seem to dominate all the threads) who talk as though they come from a position of knowledge when mostly guessing.

Be prepared for someone to pull your post to pieces and attempt to assassinate it point by point, adding no value apart from trying to defend the indefensible.

The majority of the arguments in favour of Tesla, with regards to this topic, are, as you very eloquently and politely point out, farcical.

For example. if you already own a Model S and X and have ordered x3 Tesla Model 3 cars, you are by no means a standard car customer and in no way can expect others to blindly accept the failings of Tesla with their UK order process and experience.

I completely agree with everything you said in this post.

I spoke to Tesla 3 times today (they called me) and I also received 4 emails from them. Some progress and resolution on many of my queries (AWD LR no longer an option had raised many concerns with me, spec changes that became unavailable, PCP option disappearing and re-appearing again (but not for the delisted AWD LR), the inability to order 19" sport wheels... I could go on). All resolved finally. However, what is still unresolved is the bloody estimated delivery date and that is patently ridiculous. I've got another estimate, but I don't believe a word they say on that anymore. Poor show Tesla, a very poor show.

There are thousands of customers in the UK who ordered a Model 3 at the beginning of May who have not received their cars and two months later have no reliable delivery estimate. Tesla seems incapable of matching orders to production. Many no longer believe anything Tesla say with the only reliable indicator you are actually going to get your car is the text with date, time and location to collect your car.

Tesla still has unbelievable delivery dates for cars ordered today and is now prioritising new customers over those who have ordered. If you have ordered a car, you are at the back of the queue for a test drive.

There is either a level of arrogance or incompetence which is surprising for a company that has such huge support, primarily from the very customers who Tesla has failed. Tesla is either ignorant of its failures or just does not care. There have been no apologies issued.

All of this was unnecessary. They have a great product with amazing cars, a service centre concept and Superchargers that are the envy of the big car manufacturers. Had they given delivery estimates of 4-6 months, it would still be quicker than most other EV's available and would have no impact on orders, many have been waiting for three years.

Come on Tesla, let's see your innovative approach and get the delivery dates sorted, apologise and offer at least a years supercharging for those who ordered in May.

I couldn't agree more. Also, I couldn't disagree more with those trying to tell you you should just lump it and you should have "known" what everyone else "knew" which was that the June estimate (and all subsequent incorrect estimates on the website order screen, verbally from Tesla staff or by email) was never going to be anywhere near achievable, even for those with 2016 advanced reservations, let alone all the other new customers, who are still in the dark.

But don't worry, you will forget all about it and love the car so much when you get it that you won't be at all concerned about the customer service you are going to get if you prang it down the line!!

Oh, not forgetting the regularly touted line ... If that's the case, Tesla just isn't for you and you should just run along like the gullible little customer you are and go buy a different EV!!! o_O

I reserved years ago.
I ordered months ago.

I would also like to add that for some customers this may well be the first brand new car they have ever purchased. Furthermore, possibly the most expensive car they have ever and will ever purchase. And right now I feel like I have been treated like a speck of dirt on the great Tesla Leviathans shoe.

I am trying to chill out. Im trying to stay calm, and I'm trying my very very best to stay true to the reasons I jumped to buy a Tesla in the first place, but the customer service has been nothing short of appalling. Ive had better customer service from mobile phone providers and thats saying something.

I do well to ignore the Tesla Evangelists kicking around here, but I ask you, please do bear a thought for the people here who have their own story waiting for a delivery that is simply different to yours. I was engaged to be married 3 years ago, when I placed the deposit to buy our wedding car. I waited 3 years, have a wedding planned, and pretty much gave up hope of Elon delivering our wedding car. Then finally I could order, I was told a delivery date, and with a 3 month 'Elon' buffer, I thought it was actually going to become a reality.

To some people, maybe those with a few million in the bank, who already have 3 Teslas and a handful of Ferraris, we're being impatient waiting for 'just a car', but to some other people, they're waiting on the promise of delivering a dream to someone that means the entire world to them.

Last edited:
It’s funny isn’t it, that Tesla has this amazing in-car software and has pioneered a dealer-free sales process and online ordering. I fully expected once I ordered the car that their customer experience leading up to delivery via the website and the app, to also be some ‘future of car’ thing, light years ahead of the competition. Instead as the poster above notes I find myself searching source code for a VIN?!? And I also discover - after ordering - that there’s a whole community of people here doing the same thing. It’s bizarre.

I agree with all the points that Benjamoon makes.

I did not make it clear, the text and email were only sent to those who had not received their cars. You already had yours, so you did not get the text or email.

My understanding was that you were referring to the chaos when Accounts removed all Orders (which included a deduction for the grant) and replaced them with a new order (without the deduction)?

If so then just to clarify: that happened before I got my car. I too got the replacement order and had the same confusion as everyone else. I didn't get the text (my only point is that even on this Tesla were not capable of sending it to everyone effected, so likelihood is that they have no decent systems that facilitate something like that). As I recall it the new Orders which were sent out were further confusing because some peoples' had an asterisk with a comment indicating that the new order was exclusive of grant, and others had no such comment so, to them, looked like a significant price increase. That too beggars belief to me - that for whatever reason Tesla were replacing Orders they didn't even have a consistent approach to that, so probably multiple people doing it "semi manually" or similar. I would do my head in if systems in my company were as ropy as that ... somehow Tesla seem to put up with it

It was pretty obvious to me that only a few lucky people would get a delivery in June.
I thought that we would see a serious number of cars delivered in July
It would seem they have only delivered something like 5% of the cars ordered in the first few days of orders over the last 2 months.

My data no better than yours, but chatter here assumes around 5,000 orders. The first two boats had 1,274 RHD cars for UK. I think many of those were delivered before end of June, but if not the remainder will be delivered in July. That is 25% of orders delivered.

(Tesla has in the past quoted deliveries per territory in its quarterly statement, I wonder if any such figure for model-3 UK has been published? as that would be the actual deliveries in June)

I don't understand how this is defended.

I am speaking for myself, but I feel that many existing owners and posters here will agree, what you want is completely reasonable and it is astonishing that Tesla do not do this.

But they don't. Yet. I sure hope that is being worked on and improvements are coming. Maybe that will be soon ... but until then what?

Folk wanting this to change is just not going to happen - until Tesla have systems that can provide that information.

Be prepared for someone to pull your post to pieces and attempt to assassinate it point by point, adding no value apart from trying to defend the indefensible

The part that I consider indefensible is the expectation that, because you want something, Tesla will provide it - when they have a history of not being able to do that, or deliberately not doing it / incompetent / whatever. I have absolutely no disagreement with what you want, only that you keep repeating that you want it, despite folk here telling you it won't happen until Tesla change their systems.

if you already own a Model S and X and have ordered x3 Tesla Model 3 cars, you are by no means a standard car customer and in no way can expect others to blindly accept the failings of Tesla with their UK order process and experience

That's rubbish. All the Tesla Fan Boys here agree with you and say it is unacceptable. What they are trying to tell you is that it is unlikely to change in time to make a difference to you.

But you keep on repeating what you want ...

I find myself searching source code for a VIN

I wonder if that has much use any more. And why do Tesla put all that stuff IN the web page anyway? I find that very peculiar ... maybe specifically to create a community of "special hidden knowledge passed from person to person" because I can't think of any other useful purpose ...

I don't know if it used to be the case, but latterly it seems that the "hidden VIN" is likely to change before delivery of the car, and in many cases upon checking the hidden VIN it has been wrong colour/model, and in some cases not even a Model-3

Possibly you can drawn the conclusion that you have been allocated a "placeholder" VIN and therefore they are getting closer to giving you a final invoice, which will then be a defined car and delivery.

Perhaps there is a public spreadsheet somewhere of time between seeing a source-code-VIN and a confirmed vehicle/final invoice/delivery?

I’m not stressed by the delivery timescales as I have expected September all along but I do understand those who are frustrated having reserved and ordered early on. I think Tesla could do better on the communication front and for me, 3 simple improvements would allay a lot of that confusion:

1. Stop over promising on expected delivery dates and under promise instead. It wouldn’t stop anyone ordering and it’s always better to set an expectation and then do better, than set an expectation and disappoint. When I ordered in June the website said delivery July. It should have said September or October. I’d still have placed the order. And if it subsequently turned up earlier I’d be delighted.
  2. Apply some stock / manufacturing based intelligence to the website in terms of delivery dates. At the moment the logic appears to be “next month”. Surely a company with the software prowess of Tesla could do better here?
  3. Communicate better with Tesla retail store staff so that the communication via website and store is aligned and consistent. Again, a simple change. Would certainly beat the rolling eyes when you ask a question of a store employee starting with “the website says....”

Surely a company with the software prowess of Tesla could do better here?

Agree "could do much better". Tesla don't manufacture to order though (as I understand it). This specifically creates a problem when launching in a new market when there are back orders to fulfil, maybe they didn't realise the consequence ... or maybe they said "Short term problem, we'll live with it"

I reserved years ago.
I ordered months ago.

This is broadly fair. Tesla are a tech company, not a customer relations company. But we want that tech. Desperately in many cases. So we need to suffer.
I console myself with the thought that once the initial order rush has been met, supply of cars has been quick in the markets it is already serving. Even in Western Europe there now seem to be stocks, and brand new customers often get cars in under 3 weeks.

I don't see anyone on here who pretend's that boats/vins etc are 100% correct and reliable. Users simply collate and use information out there to come up with a guesstimate. You don't have to accept it or pay any attention to it if you dont want to.

Finally!!! Someone on this forum is talking complete sense! There are a few on this forum (I think it is only a minority, but they seem to dominate all the threads) who talk as though they come from a position of knowledge when mostly guessing.

As mentioned above, it's all guesswork based on data that has been collected by various people. But some data is better than none. I

Plenty of people on here know the process isn't and hasn't been good. We are all in the same boat don't forget! But constant complaints on this forum aren't going to solve the problem. You need to let Tesla know directly, in writing or whatever, that you aren't happy. If they don't do anything about your complaint then you need to decide if you want to be a customer or not. If you decide to stay a customer after this, then you should know what you have gotten yourself into and you will have to accept that it's pants. Everyone's tolerence levels are different.

Be prepared for someone to pull your post to pieces and attempt to assassinate it point by point, adding no value apart from trying to defend the indefensible.
This is a discussion forum. If you make a post with lots of points, people are going to discus them! Why else would you come here and post!

Reactions: WannabeOwner