Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not convinced I *need* the data ports. I’ve no desire to plug in usb music, if I do decide in future to try out games that need a controller (again, not convinced I will), I can use the glovebox port. Having operational wireless charging is a much more important facility for my use.

There‘s also the (maybe slightly mercenary) fact it’s just a two year lease, so there’s no long term desire for the best of everything like there would be if I was owning it long term.

I’m not convinced I *need* the data ports. I’ve no desire to plug in usb music, if I do decide in future to try out games that need a controller (again, not convinced I will), I can use the glovebox port. Having operational wireless charging is a much more important facility for my use.

There‘s also the (maybe slightly mercenary) fact it’s just a two year lease, so there’s no long term desire for the best of everything like there would be if I was owning it long term.

is there only one glovebox port? If so won’t you want that for the dashcam? I’d be ok with the centre console being power only so the chargers work, but I need one data port for the dashcam SSD, and a spare would be nice for a wireless dongle for a controller (although again I can live without that for a while)

I've got Tesla coming out on the 27th to sort my retrofit (assuming they don't delay due to parts etc).

The part number on the estimate is the non-data hub :( but I think if I can't get them to change to the data version in advance I'll accept it and push for a replacement further down the line.

is there only one glovebox port? If so won’t you want that for the dashcam? I’d be ok with the centre console being power only so the chargers work, but I need one data port for the dashcam SSD, and a spare would be nice for a wireless dongle for a controller (although again I can live without that for a while)
you can use usb 3 hub though.

but I fully agree, it has to be power + data.

you can use usb 3 hub though.
I had serious problems with autopilot shutdowns using a USB hub. Could have been a bad hub and/or bad USB stick - I may give a hub another try if I get the non-data version of the retrofit.

In response to other comments - agreed, if you're not interested in using USB sticks for music, then it's probably largely a non-issue. However, there's a contingent of Tesla owners who happen to already have large collections of music in lossless formats who'd really like to make the most of Tesla's rather good audio system by playing back lossless audio - and to playback audio in the car lossless end-to-end you need to use a USB drive (as Bluetooth is always lossy).

Compounded for Android users by the lack of Bluetooth apt-x support, which means we're stuck with SBC (iPhone users get Bluetooth AAC). Yup, even with Bluetooth SBC I'm probably realistically not going to notice the difference in a car. I get that. But for those of us already using lossless, it's nice not to put obstacles in the way of Tesla's really rather good audio system (particularly in the LR/Performance) putting out the best sound possible....

Last edited:
I've got a service appointment in a little over a week and looks like the part number listed is the power-only part.

According to the german thread, a pretty good indicator as to whether you'll get the "power only" part is if Sonic, Cat Quest, etc are missing from your car. If you see Sonic, you'll get the "power + data" part.

And of course mine is missing Sonic, so that seems to line up with me only being able to get the power-only part. Really hope this is only a temporary situation and that the "power only" parts will get swapped out with the "power + data" ones down the line once part availability improves, but something's telling me not to hold out too much hope on that front. :(

Reactions: Roy B and DM206433
I’m assuming that they’ll be bringing Bluetooth controller support to the car at some point in the near future. Otherwise they can very well exchange them down the line for the data capable versions.

I've got a service appointment in a little over a week and looks like the part number listed is the power-only part.

According to the german thread, a pretty good indicator as to whether you'll get the "power only" part is if Sonic, Cat Quest, etc are missing from your car. If you see Sonic, you'll get the "power + data" part.

And of course mine is missing Sonic, so that seems to line up with me only being able to get the power-only part. Really hope this is only a temporary situation and that the "power only" parts will get swapped out with the "power + data" ones down the line once part availability improves, but something's telling me not to hold out too much hope on that front. :(
Mine was missing Sonic before the retro fit.

I had the data enabled part fitted

Still missing Sonic

Reactions: aaronr

See also this thread (particularly the linked post): No Sonic with my update

The Sonic thing is a bit weird, because what’s stopping you plugging in a controller in to the glovebox port and playing it that way? If your car had no data ports at all I’d understand it..

Reactions: Adopado
Have you actually tested the ports for data connectivity?
I posted about it earlier in the thread, I can play MP3s off a flash drive in the new ports...

I posted about it earlier in the thread, I can play MP3s off a flash drive in the new ports...

Apologies I missed that. That’s good news then! Strange how Sonic and Cuphead aren’t there though.

Have you actually tested the ports for data connectivity?
You had the actual most recent hardware version of the Data enable Hub installed then that is only the first part of the project. Then the vehicle must be told that this version of the Hub was installed, it does not automatically recognise change in hardware versions. A Tesla engineer must connect through their programmers port and using the Proprietary Tesla Portal access and reconfigure the car by telling it which version of the Hub is now installed

In summary, recently productions of the M3 vehicles missing the USB Hub are only being retrofitted by Tesla with the USB Hub in the older/initial vintage Model 3's . This USB-C Hub/ports are the older Inactive version (dumb ports) and not the latest Active data-enabled version ("intelligent" ports) meaning you may no longer plug in a music stick or game joystick or run specific apps. Its a bit more serious than already explained here, Tesla have deviously already reverted the User Manual for the newly produced M3's stating that they shall here on forward only be equipped with theolder Inactive version (dumb ports). Basically, due to global shortage, Tesla have now downgraded the Intelligent/Active USB Hub on the 2021 refresh models to the version installed in the older/initial vintage Model 3's technology introduced in 2019. Note if you do purchased the latest Hub and install it which is quite straight forward, it will work fine in so far as pure charging but the it will not be data enabled as the vehicle does not automatically recognise the change and updated hardware version installed until Tesla technician connects through their programmers port using their Proprietary Tesla Portal access and reconfigures the car by telling it which version of the Hub is now installed. After this, one last step you need to ask Tesla to send to the car the latest firmware version and reinstall it so that the Data-enabled apps can be installed automatically.

In summary, recently productions of the M3 vehicles missing the USB Hub are only being retrofitted by Tesla with the USB Hub in the older/initial vintage Model 3's . This USB-C Hub/ports are the older Inactive version (dumb ports) and not the latest Active data-enabled version ("intelligent" ports) meaning you may no longer plug in a music stick or game joystick or run specific apps. Its a bit more serious than already explained here, Tesla have deviously already reverted the User Manual for the newly produced M3's stating that they shall here on forward only be equipped with theolder Inactive version (dumb ports). Basically, due to global shortage, Tesla have now downgraded the Intelligent/Active USB Hub on the 2021 refresh models to the version installed in the older/initial vintage Model 3's technology introduced in 2019. Note if you do purchased the latest Hub and install it which is quite straight forward, it will work fine in so far as pure charging but the it will not be data enabled as the vehicle does not automatically recognise the change and updated hardware version installed until Tesla technician connects through their programmers port using their Proprietary Tesla Portal access and reconfigures the car by telling it which version of the Hub is now installed. After this, one last step you need to ask Tesla to send to the car the latest firmware version and reinstall it so that the Data-enabled apps can be installed automatically.
I don't know what you mean by the "older inactive ones". AFAIK all Model 3's before November 2021 supported data on the console ports - indeed, the pre-refresh cars had no port in the glovebox so these were the only ports you could use for data.

It appears that some cars are earmarked to get the data-enabled retrofit, and some cars are earmarked to get the charging-only retrofit - although it's all a bit murky.

Reactions: Adopado and Durzel