Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denied by Alliant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email around 4:00 today with 'thanks for applying with Alliant, you've been denied. You'll get a letter within 7-10 days." NO questions asked, or anything.. So- of course by the time I try to call him, he's already gone. I know exactly why they denied it. It's not due to debt to credit ration (4%), it's not due to Income (over 4K month without any expenses), not due to no previous car buying lease experience (BMW lease prior) and not due to credit score (752), the BMW is still showing up under my name because the process is not done yet. If it was due to credit score, they would of come back with a higher rate- not just flat denied. I don't know what to do. I told my guy at Tesla and he said to call on Monday and see if they will reevaluate it, he said it's happened before. The guy at alliant is Scott Meyer. Did a quick google search and his name has appeared on TMC before. Anyone ever been denied, then approved?
Brandon R22,

Is there ANY chance you are in the aviation or travel fields, or retired from same? If so, you can join the AA FCU at probably get 1.19% on NEW OR USED cars since it's their 80th B-day Discount/Celebration--that's almost "free" money.

Best,

M

Just a caveat when it comes to Alliant: I was approved and the lady who called to tell me so stated that my car would be worth less than I owed on it and, should I total it, that paying off the loan would cost me additional money out of pocket. She also told me that almost everyone covers themselves for that possibility for only $400. I was in the car when she called, so i asked her to e-mail the policy to me. She became rather rude and impatient, insisting that she would respond to any questions I might have; that she could not send me the policy if I didn't buy it. I recognized her rudeness and impatience as manipulative and told her I needed to see the gap policy. When I arrived home, I called my insurance company and was told that I could have full gap insurance for only $8 per year for three years! I recommend that people NOT get gap coverage through Alliant without first contacting their own insurance company.

Just a caveat when it comes to Alliant: I was approved and the lady who called to tell me so stated that my car would be worth less than I owed on it and, should I total it, that paying off the loan would cost me additional money out of pocket. She also told me that almost everyone covers themselves for that possibility for only $400. I was in the car when she called, so i asked her to e-mail the policy to me. She became rather rude and impatient, insisting that she would respond to any questions I might have; that she could not send me the policy if I didn't buy it. I recognized her rudeness and impatience as manipulative and told her I needed to see the gap policy. When I arrived home, I called my insurance company and was told that I could have full gap insurance for only $8 per year for three years! I recommend that people NOT get gap coverage through Alliant without first contacting their own insurance company.
My rep sent me the info without me even having to ask. Their GAP policy also covers your deductible in non total loss events.

Here is my Alliant Story. Not sure what is going to happen from here, but I am concerned:
June 18 - (Las Vegas NV) Model S Test Drive and we we determined we would buy. We did not buy on this day but sales guys told us that we should apply for financing ASAP through Alliant
June 20 - (Pasadena CA) I applied for loan through Alliant ($55K with intention of putting outstanding balance as down payment)
June 21 - (Pasadena CA) Alliant approves and we purchase (in store) Model S 60, Auto Pilot, Premium Features, Midnight Silver all other standard features)
June 29 - I read somewhere that Alliant loan approvals are for 30 days only. I contact my loan guy by e-mail and ask if the process should take longer than those 30 days if, based on my outstanding credit (damn near a perfect 850) if I can get an extension if necessary.
June 30 - Alliant responds by e-mail "No Worries" and "I will lock you in" and asks for details of the purchase, including VIN etc.
June 30 - I provide all the requested information to Alliant.
July 22 (Morning) - My Tesla site confirms $55K financed and request down payment of just over $22K. I make that down payment through the website.
July 22 (Afternoon) - DS calls me to ask when I want to take delivery with Wednesday the 27th being the 1st available. I accept that date so we are looking at getting the car on Wednesday the 27th
July 23 - I get in the mail a letter from Alliant. I am thinking it is a welcome letter. Nope it is a "Refusal To Grant Loan" letter with the boxes checked for "Expiration of previous approval" and "Loan application has expired"

So now what do I do? I have e-mailed both my DS and my guy at Alliant. I guess I will call Alliant tomorrow as well to get this figured out. I really don't want to pay $10 to remove my security freeze on my credit again, nor do I want another "hard hit" against my credit.

Two things: I would call your Alliant guy tomorrow and ask. I say this Becuase if you read my original post you would see what I went through. When I reapplied they did not run credit. When I got my denial the first time, it was signed by the second guy I worked with, not the first. But I still had my loan opened. You also have proof that he said no problem. My DS did not touch/ talk to my Alliant guy one time. It was I that had to do all the legwork and send everything to the DS. I read a lot that most DS's work directly with Alliant. My DS was like 'let me know what happens with Alliant'. You'll get it all worked out for sure.

Alliant approved. One gentleman/lady mentioned Jason Fresse as a problem. Disagree. He seemed prompt, precise, and business like to me. Some normal telephone tag occurred. Not partial to phones anyway. He did fine. Eh. Just my two cents. Applied on the weekend. Probably closed when executed. Monday morning--Boom done and done after a one follow-up question before the morning was done. Hope this info helps.

PS I'm writing this note while eating "skrimps" on the redneck riviera. Mais je parle français bien sûr. Zut alors! ;)

Hoping Tesla and Alliant work together to get this done right. Will report back later.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelX
Alliant approved. One gentleman/lady mentioned Jason Fresse as a problem. Disagree. He seemed prompt, precise, and business like to me. Some normal telephone tag occurred. Not partial to phones anyway. He did fine. Eh. Just my two cents. Applied on the weekend. Probably closed when executed. Monday morning--Boom done and done after a one follow-up question before the morning was done. Hope this info helps.

PS I'm writing this note while eating "skrimps" on the redneck riviera. Mais je parle français bien sûr. Zut alors! ;)

Hoping Tesla and Alliant work together to get this done right. Will report back later.

I couldn't agree more, Jason ([email protected]) was always very responsive and efficient. I finalized things with him last Monday, by Monday evening Tesla had received the wire and the car was delivered to my home last Wednesday. Like many I got 72 months at 1.49%.

Guess who was approved!!!!

Can you believe this!?! I actually had to REAPPPLY for Alliant! And got approved. I had lost confidence in my first guy after speaking with him. They 'reran' it and said 'my DTI is 54%' what in the HELL! No way dude. Not even CLOSE. I reapplied (ugh.. I know ...) and got approved for 1.74 for 78. .... what does that tell you.

The fledgling parasites often suck blood more cautiously. Your first guy was likely at the beginning of his career.