Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dessicant bag maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local service provider wants $732 to change the dessicant bag. Seems way high when most of the time a machine is doing the work like removing coolant, evacuating and recharging. What is your experience with this?

i just had mine done like 2 months ago it was $334 at tesla. so I dono what they are doing that would cost $700+ but lets see the estimate. here is the bill from my service

Untitled.png

Upvote 0
That price is definitely high, but make sure where ever you take it, they really know what they are doing with AC systems and have the proper equipment. Some mobile guy with a Harbor Freight vacuum pump in their trunk is not the way to go. You want to see someone with one of those special AC refrigerant machines that are the size of a small ATM. Those machines recover the refrigerant, weigh the refrigerant that was recovered so you know if the system had too much or too little for health check purposes, and then does the correct vacuum and oil and refrigerant fill to the precise weight of refrigerant required for your car. Those machines cost thousands of dollars, otherwise I would have one in my garage. Anyone that adds refrigerant to an AC system based on reading the gauges as opposed to weight, is an old school hack. Run away.

1691075754052.png

Reactions: Rockstop
Upvote 0
It used to be listed as a maintenance item. I don’t think it is any more.

There’s some reasonable debate as to whether it’s necessary at all.
It is still listed as a maintenance item for all Teslas: Vehicle Maintenance | Tesla Support

Air Conditioning Service

Air conditioning service replaces the A/C desiccant bag for better longevity and efficiency of your air conditioning system. We recommend following the following air conditioning service schedule:
Model 3Replace your A/C desiccant bag every 4 years.**
Model YReplace your A/C desiccant bag every 4 years.
Model S
Model X
Replace your A/C desiccant bag every 3 years.†
**We recommend replacing your A/C desiccant bag every 6 years for Model 3 produced in 2017-2021 if it doesn’t have a heat pump.

†We recommend replacing your A/C desiccant bag every 2 years for Model S vehicles produced in 2012-2020 and every 4 years for Model X vehicles produced in 2012-2020.

I think GM has it as a maintenance item on the Bolt, and even the Corvette, as well. (Though I seem to recall they put it at 7 years.)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and ucmndd
Upvote 0
EVERY car has a desiccant bag in the receiver dryer, but it is only a "maintenance item" when the sealed system is opened / evacuated for repair of something. If the system has been properly vacuumed down and charged (presumably the factory did it the right way on initial assembly) then there is no need to change out the dryer b/c the moisture level in the SEALED AND PRESSURIZED system is not changing.

This would seem to be a new added profit line for the manufacturers, for the last forever, no air conditioned vehicle (or your home AC for that matter) has this as a scheduled replacement. It's just not a thing unless the system is opened / discharged for another repair.

Upvote 0
Exactly correct. That any manufacturer that does this is trying to see how gullible their customers are.

Apparently GM also has done this for their own EV products, and it is just as stupid and unneeded.

… also a recommended service for the Vette.

Has something to do with R-1234yf, although I don’t understand what.

Seems unusual to me, but I’m not an HVAC engineer and don’t play one on TV.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
This would seem to be a new added profit line for the manufacturers, for the last forever, no air conditioned vehicle (or your home AC for that matter) has this as a scheduled replacement. It's just not a thing unless the system is opened / discharged for another repair.
I have to think that the manufactures know something you don't. I'm pretty sure I saw one site say that the desiccant in the new AC systems breaks down and can clog the system causing catastrophic failure.

Tesla doesn't seem to list service for things where it isn't necessary. For example, they originally had schedules for changing the gear oil in the drive units, after some collection of data they increased the maintenance interval, and then after even more data they decided that the fluid never needs to be changed and removed it from the maintenance schedule. Same with the battery coolant, they now say it is good for the life of the vehicle. (Even though most other OEMs suggest, or require, changing it frequently.) For brake fluid they just suggest testing it every 2 years to determine when it needs replace. Not saying it needs to be replaced on a fixed schedule. It is, also, interesting that they don't have a single schedule for the A/C service, it is based on the equipment actually installed in a given vehicle.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
It is still listed as a maintenance item for all Teslas: Vehicle Maintenance | Tesla Support

I think GM has it as a maintenance item on the Bolt, and even the Corvette, as well. (Though I seem to recall they put it at 7 years.)
This shows our HEPA filter needing regular replacement. I thought I recently saw a post indicating that is no longer true and was changed to a lifetime filter. Have not checked with my SC yet.

Upvote 0
I have to think that the manufactures know something you don't. I'm pretty sure I saw one site say that the desiccant in the new AC systems breaks down and can clog the system causing catastrophic failure.

Tesla doesn't seem to list service for things where it isn't necessary. For example, they originally had schedules for changing the gear oil in the drive units, after some collection of data they increased the maintenance interval, and then after even more data they decided that the fluid never needs to be changed and removed it from the maintenance schedule. Same with the battery coolant, they now say it is good for the life of the vehicle. (Even though most other OEMs suggest, or require, changing it frequently.) For brake fluid they just suggest testing it every 2 years to determine when it needs replace. Not saying it needs to be replaced on a fixed schedule. It is, also, interesting that they don't have a single schedule for the A/C service, it is based on the equipment actually installed in a given vehicle.

I can believe there is something different about R-1234yf systems that requires the the desiccant to be replaced on a schedule, but I just find it hard to believe that most SC's would not screw up this maintenance job and cause a premature failure of your A/C system.

Working on A/C systems is a very delicate job. Any bubba can fix an A/C system to get it working, but getting it to last more than year after opening it up requires a competent mechanic. Tesla SC staff, hmmm....

Reactions: dmurphy
Upvote 0