Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is, you don’t see a vibrant forum online discussing the latest tech innovations of the Dodge Dart. If this forum is not for Tesla enthusiasts, who is it for?[/QUOTE from @DSGChina}

Nice people.
Nice people who would like to talk about the thread title. OP was sharing his feelings. They're real.

Reactions: Roys3 and Mod3forMe
I really wish some of you would stop comparing Tesla to other tech companies and use them to justify poor business practices.

First, when prices of a smartphone drops by 10, 20 or even 50% its because they are about to release a whole new version of the product including new features.

Second, nearly all stores, credit cards and companies offer price match or buy back guarantees.

Third, tech companies offer fair trade in values allowing you to upgrade to the latest version at minimized loss of value.

Four, when a tech company makes a particularly bad mistake they tend to offer refunds or free upgrades to newer hardware. eg Samsung battery explosions

Tesla doesn't follow any of these norms. Their products also cost 100x-1000x more than any other tech product making it a signicantly more impactful investment to the consumer (which hurts 100-1000x harder when it goes wrong) . Even tech companies have predictable product cycles and price adjustments. You can easily evaluate the intelligence of your purchase simply by knowing the time of year. Tech companies also don't change the price unless they release something newer and better to replace the old version. Tesla drops the price because they feel like it, they'll even drop the price right after they start producing a product for the first time. Nobody else does that.

Tesla consistently shows they don't care about their customers through their actions and are happy to tell you to f* off with their "thanks for helping us build a sustainable world." Most tech companies don't show such blind disregard, not even Apple. It's pathetic and shameful. It's more shameful to defend such actions.

My point is, you don’t see a vibrant forum online discussing the latest tech innovations of the Dodge Dart. If this forum is not for Tesla enthusiasts, who is it for?[/QUOTE from @DSGChina}

Nice people.
Nice people who would like to talk about the thread title. OP was sharing his feelings. They're real.

Oh, okay. Almost couldn’t see you way up there on your high horse. Now I do. My bad.

• Funny
Reactions: more863-also
Can I ask who told you about the computer upgrade? I just got off the phone with a Tesla customer service rep and he told me that they did not have any information about backfitting MCU's to older Teslas. This had me a little pissed today.

sure...been mentioned many times but here is one of several quotes from Elon

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

~6 months before it is in all new production cars. No change to sensors. This is simple replacement of the Autopilot computer. Will be done free of charge for those who ordered full self-driving.

2:50 AM - Oct 16, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1052104593876774912

The tangible impact to Tesla is they lost a customer for life. And you’ll get to bad mouth them to all of your friends and family.

If you are really pissed, and cannot drive the car, then you’d have to sell it now. I doubt it’s a 20k hit (remember the tax credit), but if it is get out. No reason to be miserable every time you look at the car. You could sell it now and get a pretty nice beemer or Audi or something.

If you cannot possibly take the hit, drive it for a year, then sell it. You should get reasonable value for it and you can swap to a Toyota or Audi or whatever.
The point is they've already lost a customer for life. What does keeping the car have anything to do with it? You assume it makes me angry to look at it, that I don't enjoy driving it. You're wrong.

You confuse the difference between having love for a product versus the company that made it. They are very different things. Just because I don't like Tesla as a company doesn't mean I don't have love for my car.

Have you ever heard the phrase "love the music, not the artist"? It's the same thing with owning a Tesla.

The point is they've already lost a customer for life. What does keeping the car have anything to do with it? You assume it makes me angry to look at it, that I don't enjoy driving it. You're wrong.
Destroying the car would do nothing but selling the car reduces the number of Teslas by approximately one since the person you sell it to won't buy a new one.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
When I placed my order March 11, 2018, it was clearly stated that FSD would be available at a later date. They were very clear in saying they did not know when, but when it was ready, you'd get it. Plus, you get the HW 3.0 upgrade as well. Sure, their restructuring/price adjustment for AP/FSD leaves a slight bitter taste in my mouth, but they weren't hiding anything regarding FSD and it's availability.

Can I ask who told you about the computer upgrade? I just got off the phone with a Tesla customer service rep and he told me that they did not have any information about backfitting MCU's to older Teslas. This had me a little pissed today.

It's not the media computer that would get (or need) an upgrade, it's the autopilot computer... if your car has HW2 or HW2.5 you get upgraded to HW3 for free if you purchased (or purchase) FSD- has been stated repeatedly by Tesla/Elon since at least August, and as recently as a few days ago.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Destroying the car would do nothing but selling the car reduces the number of Teslas by approximately one since the person you sell it to won't buy a new one.
I don't think that's entirely true. A person buying a used car either can't afford a new one or simply doesn't want to pay the "new car tax". So it's unlikely that a sale was actually lost.

Your logic is the same argument that the movie industry uses to defend their fight against piracy which has been proven to be a false equivalency. People buying used aren't real Tesla customers and likely never will be.

I don't think that's entirely true. A person buying a used car either can't afford a new one or simply doesn't want to pay the "new car tax". So it's unlikely that a sale was actually lost.

Your logic is the same argument that the movie industry uses to defend their fight against piracy which has been proven to be a false equivalency. People buying used aren't real Tesla customers and likely never will be.

Huh. I just ordered a Model 3. If there was a used one available locally for a discount I would have bought it. I have purchased used when I could have afforded new. If everyone sold their 2018 Model 3's today, Tesla would hurt bad. Really bad. That is basic economics. You won't sell your car because you love it.

All this thread makes me think of is ... "cry me a river"

You are all so rich that you paid $3k on a dream and the dream both hasn't come true yet and has gone down in value. Arguably the true value has actually gone up but the cost has gone down. So then you are really just mad that someone else got something for less cost? That is a rough way to go through life. FSD has always stood for Fools and Sucker's Dream.

The good news I guess is that few people will make the same mistake going forward. Perhaps.....

You people that think Tesla has a "mission" and that you're going to save the planet by driving an electric car are looney tunes.

Tesla exists to make money, and their business practices and treatment of employees is all the proof you need.
Agree that their treatment of employees is terrible. I don’t see anything that speaks of greed though. Pretty much nothing they have done supports this theory.

I see it happening. I'm posting less...reading posts less...letting podcast slide. I don't rant much but need to get this out there.

Here's why:

I bought the Model 3 performance version with every available option including full self driving in September. I sold my beloved Model S at an incredible loss to do this. 2 years prior to this, I also took off a day of work, waited in line 2 years and gave Tesla an interest free deposit for the privilege

The incentive was "free supercharging" as well as the tax credit.

Then the 5K debacle . 5K or give up the full self driving. I inquired about it and received an email from Tesla that I could get 5K back AND still keep the full self driving incentive. I thanked them and told them where to send the check. Nothing ever arrived. I emailed them 2 months later and they told me the initial email (i'll be happy to copy and paste it) was a mistake and now it was one or the other. In my business I back up my word. Even if the initial Tesla rep made a mistake, they should have followed through with it. Getting a customers hopes all up and then dashing them is wrong. I kept the free supercharging...dumb financially but I had it with my S (only 2k or so then) and had gotten use to it.

Next...Early access program. Sworn to secrecy or they take it back, well I am not revealing software update secrets...just that it is not what I thought it would be. I guess if they want to take it back. then take it back. I got nav on autopilot a couple of weeks early. When track mode came out, I was one of the last to receive it. Dog/Sentry mode...still have not received it. I see no benefit. I sent an e-mail to Tesla as nothing whatsoever has happened since the nav on autopilot download asking them if I something more should be happening and to verify if I was actually on the EAP list or had been dropped by mistake...after all mistakes happen as evidenced by the false 5K refund offer while keeping the free charging....crickets...not even a response.

Now...FSD debacle. I paid 5K plus 3K. Now it is 3K plus 2K...bam another 3K wasted...now we are up to 8K but there have been other reductions 3.5 K more....now up to 11.5 K...but Elon Tweated that those who overpaid for FSD could be in the early access program as consolation. As mentioned many of us are already in the program, so giving it to us again is not a consolation and all I can say it it's not what I thought it would be. Nav on autopilot 2 weeks early many months ago but that's it...not given a single early update since and I am Irked that I cant even get a response from Tesla.

So paid 11.5 K more...been lied to in an official email since they did not back up their offer of keeping Free SC and 5K which would have been fair...not just to me since they offered this...but to everybody who overpaid, and bought early secondary to free SC incentive. Furthermore Elon's offer of early access to those who plunked down thousands up front for full self driving does not take into account the 2000 or so of us who are already in the program that seems to be of little value anyways. If you think that you will receive updates early, you will be very disappointed. In fact if you even believe emails about it will be answered, you will be disappointed.

Not to mention that fictitious spoiler and badging that I paid for up front (back in the day it wasn't included for free) and have pretty much given up on.

I agree completely! Thanks for posting - and thanks for being a great Tesla customer and early adopter!
(Tesla should have said that, not me... and they should add "we will make this right immediately.")
It's gonna take a lot now for me to give them any benefit of the doubt anymore - and they specialize in creating doubt don't they? (If you don't buy now it will cost more...) "Creating doubt" is putting it mildly. They flat out lie sometimes.
My experience was not quite as bad as yours - but bad enough! Thanks again for speaking up.

Reactions: Jbailey
mod note: 6 posts moved to snippiness. Most weren't directly snippy but quoted part of a sub conversation with profanity and/or snippiness in it. They were moved as per the policy of not allowing dangling quoted text. If you feel your post added value, please visit the link and copy and paste your thoughts back here. Thanks for understanding, and please refrain from using profanity here even if you slightly "censor" it.

Also worth noting here: I had a number of reports in my queue about this thread, and each time I read it as "Devoted Teslonian now developing a restaurant" and was curious where the posts about the menu were.

Last edited:
Even at full price the model 3 is a bargain compared to the ICE counterparts; think about the the gas and maintenance saving, environmental impact and the safety it provides for you and your family.

Important note: environmental and safety claims only make it a bargain if you value those things and considered them part of why you bought the car. Am I UPSET that the car doesn’t pollute or that I’m less likely to die if I crash it than in my last car? Of course not. But those aren’t why I bought it.

This is how the auto industry has always worked. Cars get discounted!! The only difference with Tesla is price transparency.

Not that I’m particularly upset about the price drops but let’s be serious here:

“$3000 now or $5,000 later!” being claimed for FSD *actually* turning out to mean “$2000 later, lol at people who preordered in good faith” is hardly transparency.

mod note: 6 posts moved to snippiness. Most weren't directly snippy but quoted part of a sub conversation with profanity and/or snippiness in it. They were moved as per the policy of not allowing dangling quoted text. If you feel your post added value, please visit the link and copy and paste your thoughts back here. Thanks for understanding, and please refrain from using profanity here even if you slightly "censor" it.

Also worth noting here: I had a number of reports in my queue about this thread, and each time I read it as "Devoted Teslonian now developing a restaurant" and was curious where the posts about the menu were.

I just love spellcheck!

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
What I’m suggesting to Elon is this. For people who bought the car at a higher price prior to the Mar 1st 2019 announcement, Tesla should offer free supercharging only for personal use and original owner. If the original owners sells it, the free supercharging will be voided or not transferable. This strategy will for sure keep TESLA old customers happy and will most likely buy another TESLA. Also, this way, no refund is necessary so no out of pocket from TESLA and will keep the TESLA community happy and satisfied. I referred a lot of model 3 buyers and now they look at me as I advertised and lured them in buying an expensive car that ridiculously depreciated in value in a small period of time. Elon make this thing right and keep the owners happy that helped the model 3 a success and earn their business in the future. Forget the refunds, just make the supercharger accessible for free prior to March 1, 2018 customers. For people who’ll buy it with the new price, they will surely understand why they’re not getting free supercharging, it is because they bought the car at already tremendously reduced price. How’s that Elon? Believe me this issue will be forgotten if you do this. Even the investors will lie it.

• Love
Reactions: BlueX