Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did any of you order your Tesla sight unseen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and I am ordering my car sight unseen in a day or two. I have however been watching, reading, and drooling over this car for more than a year. I want to get it before the end of the year for tax reasons and since I won't be home until December, this works out well for me. My wait will be filled with "other" distractions of the military kind. Although a friend of mine drove the car last year, he told me "you gotta drive one!" His only description of the car was "OMG!!"

I ordered mine having only seen a few on the streets - no test drive or even seeing the interior. Ordered 8/13, delivery 11/13. I could have done a test drive in Marietta, Ga (16 miles from my house), but I wanted my first drive to be in my car. No regrets.

I viewed the Model S at the local Tesla Gallery because I wanted to familiarize myself with the interior features and overall build quality. However, I placed my order and plunked down my money without having test driven the car. Everyone thought I was crazy, until I got the car.

Yes. I paid the deposit 6 months or so before there was even a production line. At the time, we were told it was refundable. However, before signing the contract I did test drive and visited a store to pick options. Being tall I wanted to be sure I fit!
Ditto. Because I dragged my feet a bit the VIN went from a reservation in the 400's to a production # in the 800's (or perhaps mine was one of those early builds that got scrapped). White leather option also delayed some of us early Sigs, but I still got mine before the production models shipped.

I only saw Model S up close at the last couple Detroit auto shows, sitting in the driver seat in 2013 and the back seat this year. At the last one, I signed up for the test drive event in Southfield a week later, but the auto dealers forced it to cancel without notice within an hour or two of my arrival. In the wild, I just had five very brief sightings prior to delivery. So, I never got as much as a ride before driving mine.

My dream car has been a Tesla since I learned about the Roadster around 2007, so I knew I wanted Model S and saved up as fast as possible once I got a job in 2012. My only dilemma was whether to go into debt for it (which I left out of the question until a few weeks before placing the order), buy a cheaper EV in full and trade it in a few years later for Model S or Model 3, or continue carpooling until I could afford it. After researching everything about the cheaper EV's, I wasn't comfortable with their range, safety, reliability, or the fact that I'd need to haggle with a dealer, so that idea went out the window. The stress of carpooling on a tight schedule was getting to me, so once I calculated that it would take about a year longer than anticipated, I decided the debt would be the lesser of two (or three) negatives, especially for my health.

With everything I knew about Model S by the time I got mine, it was almost exactly as I imagined, to the point that I wasn't particularly impressed with anything, just happy to finally have a car that should be considered "normal". I got the hang of driving it almost instantly, quicker than any other car I drove for the first time.

I'd take michiganmodels's offer. If that doesn't work out for whatever reason, feel free to PM me. I live within a few miles of Oakland Twp.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to go ahead and drive down to Columbus for a test drive since I am also undecided between blue and red. Maybe seeing them in person will make up my mind.
If you didn't notice, mine is blue. Though, yeah, going to the store will certainly be more help. They'll have the painted samples, but if you want to see blue and red cars, you'll want to call ahead to make sure they have them since blue seems to be a somewhat rare inventory color.

Edit: Actually, michiganmodels indicated on the Michigan TMC group forum (which you're welcome to join) that his is red. However, since it's a signature car, it's probably signature red (I forget if both reds were offered for sigs). If not, and if color is your only reason for driving all the way down to the store, this may be an opportunity.

Last edited:
If you didn't notice, mine is blue. Though, yeah, going to the store will certainly be more help. They'll have the painted samples, but if you want to see blue and red cars, you'll want to call ahead to make sure they have them since blue seems to be a somewhat rare inventory color.

Edit: Actually, michiganmodels indicated on the Michigan TMC group forum (which you're welcome to join) that his is red. However, since it's a signature car, it's probably signature red (I forget if both reds were offered for sigs). If not, and if color is your only reason for driving all the way down to the store, this may be an opportunity.

Yes. I have Signature red, which was the only red available at the time I ordered.

Honestly, I wasn't really serious about getting a Tesla until I went on a test drive. Luckily, there was a test drive event in Dallas about two weeks after I started looking for a new car. After spending 10 minutes driving and 45 minutes talking to the service techs and looking at the car, I was hooked.