Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anybody else frame their Model 3 thank you gift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dsvick do the math-say elon gives away dual motors for free for the 100k that ordered in store pre unveil at cost-not online orders.
1250.00 per motor X 100k-125m hit against the bottom line. Profits for those cars at 20% easily at an average cost of 42.5k
X 300k car minimum reservations=2.4billion now divide 125m by 2.4b he'd be giving away 5 percent profits- not total sales (total sales will be closer to 13b) to loyal customers. Not even an ouch at all. The cost of AP is just programming and computers. Say 20 people are working on it-exaggeration big time on the programming side-The cost of the programmers and computers are 25million-now that is crazy payouts-but it is cheap cheap cheap. Cheaper than dual motors to give away and I'd bet the stock would take off like crazy.

That's called investing back into your customer base and business - a big thank you. I know I would do this to make as many first buyers
happy and hopefully buy a second car down the road.
Personal opinion... I don't think the profit on these cars will be 20% - especially at the beginning. Lucky to break even.

Personal opinion... I don't think the profit on these cars will be 20% - especially at the beginning. Lucky to break even.
Here's the way I look at it... If Tesla shoots for the claimed automotive industry standard of a 6% margin...? That means that a $35,000 car would cost them around $32,900 to build. I figure the Destination Fee will probably be around $1,000. Since they do not use 'independent franchised dealerships' and will not need to use traditional advertising for some time, there is a bit of savings for them there as well. So, compared to other cars offered at $35,000 the Model ☰ will certainly be profitable, even for the lowest trim version of the car from the outset. Not breaking even, not below water.

I figure that the trim levels for the Model ☰ will be predicated on the drivetrain and battery pack capacity. I figure there will probably be three or four trim levels. Perhaps set up like: 1) Base car, rear wheel drive, software limited battery pack; 2) Dual motor all wheel drive car, mid-level battery pack capacity; 3) Performance dual motor all wheel drive car, maximum battery pack capacity. Each of those will have a multitude of hardware that is standard across them all, and the higher trims will have some standard features that are not available on lower trims. Further, some items will be optional on all trims, possibly allowing you to add as much as $15,000 in options packages to any trim level.

Due to the economies of scale Tesla is building the Model ☰ at, they may be able to get very good deals on components from third-party Suppliers. As a result, I think the worst their internal cost would be is a 1:2 ratio, and possibly as good as 1:3, 1:4, or 1:6 versus the retail amount. So, if $15,000 in options only cost them $7,500 to put in the car... That $32,900 build cost for a $35,000 car becomes $40,400 to build a $50,000 car. That's a worst case 19.2% margin on a maxed out base car. If it only costs Tesla $5,000 to add $15,000 in options...? That pushes the profit margin to 24.2% on a $50,000 car. Good times.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Dream on ... :cool:

As for the freebee-will it be free AP full version-why? They need more AP data. They need to advance the tech more than anything else.
Or, free battery upgrade-one level. I like the 369d option myself. Model 3 with 69kw battery. model 3 69 dude model 369d. Honors to San Dimas, CA. Welcome to the future Bill and Ted.
Free AP with P free as well (but P needs dual motor). It's only software. Cheap cheap cheap to turn on. They will still make major profits off all the other 3s they sell.
Paint-absolutely not-not everyone wants red-huge dumb idea. Paint is opinionated by color.
When asked range is the most critical factor on buying an EV. Best way to make a buyer happy-give em a larger battery for free.
It will have to be something off the baseline-if you get the entry model 3 with no options what could Elon give you for free?
Paint-no not really-you already get paint and you won't spend money on it.
now dual motors-hmm... that's possible. It would make manufacturing very simple. All cars get dual motors-pump them out!
Toss them a 2500.00 motor and P would with a sig emblem-large one on hood-yeah I like that idea.
They still make a nice profit per car - 7.5k plus on average of 42k.
Or special reduced pricing for options-50% off-but this only helps if you have more money to spend-probably won't work.

End of my guesses.

@dsvick do the math-say elon gives away dual motors for free for the 100k that ordered in store pre unveil at cost-not online orders.
1250.00 per motor X 100k-125m hit against the bottom line. Profits for those cars at 20% easily at an average cost of 42.5k
X 300k car minimum reservations=2.4billion now divide 125m by 2.4b he'd be giving away 5 percent profits- not total sales (total sales will be closer to 13b) to loyal customers. Not even an ouch at all. The cost of AP is just programming and computers. Say 20 people are working on it-exaggeration big time on the programming side-The cost of the programmers and computers are 25million-now that is crazy payouts-but it is cheap cheap cheap. Cheaper than dual motors to give away and I'd bet the stock would take off like crazy.

That's called investing back into your customer base and business - a big thank you. I know I would do this to make as many first buyers
happy and hopefully buy a second car down the road.

My Paul Newman...
You know, I've tried his salad dressing and I have to say I like Hidden Valley better.

As for the freebee-will it be free AP full version-why? They need more AP data. They need to advance the tech more than anything else.

AP data is retrieved from every user whether AP is enabled or not... There's zero need for it to be free.

Reactions: Red Sage
Here's the way I look at it... If Tesla shoots for the claimed automotive industry standard of a 6% margin...?... .
The typical cost of dealer distribution for a major manufacturer (which sells a range similar in price and positioning to that of 2020 Tesla) is around 10-15% of MSRP. That is composed of some disclosed items, like MSRP-Invoice, some consumer incentives, other dealer ones, and manufacturer support for dealer facilities. That 10-15% range tends to increase for less-than-desirable models/brands/options. Overall no manufacturer I have known budgets less than 20% for dealer distribution costs. Because Tesla has no dealers. a 20% cushion can be a powerful force.

FWIW, I worked on manufacturer-level assessment of these costs in several countries for several manufacturers ranging from low-volume luxury to high-volume entry-level. The costs do vary quite a lot, but on average the 20% figure keeps repeating itself. For the tiny handful of countries in which onon-franchised-dealer models are common, I have assessed only three. Each of the three had distribution costs or around 10-12%. Other things are not equal in this world, so generalizing is risky. In the cases I dealt with the advertising budgets ran between 4-6% of total costs, but were frequently obscured in many different budgets, so never transparent.

Given all that I'll postulate that Tesla distribution costs run around 8% of sales, and the promotional costs are around 2% of sales. If so, that would give Tesla 4%-8% of sales advantage over typical competitors. That advantage, in a world of 8% gross ROS being pretty much the highest end, is huge! That advantage is dwarfed by the Tesla construction/sales model. In the Tesla case WIP includes raw materials (a la Ford River Rouge in the 1920's), with vertical integration far higher than any other typical auto builder today. So WIP is presumably high than, say, Toyota, famously the leanest builder (true or not). On the other side Tesla holds title until the end-user has taken delivery. That cycle means Tesla holds as WIP somewhere between 60-90 days of finished goods that most manufacturers will have already sold to distributors/dealers. GAAP sales recognition for auto manufacturers is an entertaining subject (for accountants anyway;)) but Tesla actually carries more than is typical on both input and output sides. Further the typical large car manufacturer outsources large amounts of design work, ranging from the entire car to major components, thus reducing design work. Similarly, many outsource even the actual manufacturing. How would Mercedes or BMW customers feel if they knew their shiny new high value chariot actually was made by Valmet or Magna-Steyr. All of that dramatically reduces capital and marginal costs to the banded car. Tesla, despite loading up on Mercedes supplier-supplied switchgear, compressors and assorted other stuff, still has been more and more vertically integrated.

Tesla does have one serious Tier One supplier, sort of, Panasonic, except that Tesla itself is the primary design leader, Panasonic the battery-builder leader, tesla again design and quality control leader or co-leader depending on the case. This relationship is not unusual in kind (e.g. GM and Ford sharing their new 9-speed automatic transmission) but it is in that this one is braking technological, materials and manufacturing precedent. There is no clear way to understand the impact on capital expenditure or cost on the gigafactory without tons of data proprietary to Tesla, Panasonic, or both.

Entertainingly the Tesla manufacturing approach owes not too much to Silicon Valley conceptually. except for those robots, of course. Another topic relating to quality control, capital costs and scale economies

Once all that is done my personal guess is that Tesla is more than doubling effective gross margins due to their unconventional approaches, which will improve dramatically with scale.

these are my views. I might be wrong but I'll need proof to change my thinking

I might frame it IF I EVER GET ONE

You're not alone. Someone posted that if you write to Tesla and let them know you never received it, they will mail one to you. I tried this yesterday and they called today saying if you haven't received one by now, you won't receive it. It was a nice gesture to offer a copy of the artist rendering to those of us that ordered on 3/31, but surprised they are not honoring it for all who ordered.

You're not alone. Someone posted that if you write to Tesla and let them know you never received it, they will mail one to you. I tried this yesterday and they called today saying if you haven't received one by now, you won't receive it. It was a nice gesture to offer a copy of the artist rendering to those of us that ordered on 3/31, but surprised they are not honoring it for all who ordered.

Well, that's frustrating, as I ordered in-store 3/31 and didn't receive one either- I guess there's little reward in this world for not being a complainer! :(
I posted that, not in this thread but in a different one. I don't consider it complaining to ask them if you could still get one. I waited for a couple of months after people stopped reporting that they were getting theirs, then sent the email. I just asked if they were still being sent out, told them I had reserved my car on the 31st, even provided my reservation number, and asked if there was a way to still get one.

Where did you send your email. I originally sent one to customer service, they told me to send it to [email protected], I did that and got it via fed ex a few days later. Of course it is entirely possible that they are out of them and have no more to send out.

I posted that, not in this thread but in a different one. I don't consider it complaining to ask them if you could still get one. I waited for a couple of months after people stopped reporting that they were getting theirs, then sent the email. I just asked if they were still being sent out, told them I had reserved my car on the 31st, even provided my reservation number, and asked if there was a way to still get one.

Where did you send your email. I originally sent one to customer service, they told me to send it to [email protected], I did that and got it via fed ex a few days later. Of course it is entirely possible that they are out of them and have no more to send out.

Thank you. I emailed Tesla Sales, but will try the merchandise email and see how they respond. Thanks!